Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
low-key
DIS Veteran

Strong Memories from the past ?

Not big things, but just certain irrelevant things that happen in your life, and you get such a clear pitcher in your mind your like watching it on video tape. I do this all the time, anyone else ?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Most definitely. I remember being a little girl eating out in a restaurant with my dad. It's so clear - like you said, a picture frozen in time in my head.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Most definitely. I remember being a little girl eating out in a restaurant with my dad. It's so clear - like you said, a picture frozen in time in my head.
thats just what I was talking about, wonder why some little uneventful thing like that is so clear to us now
Old 09-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Yes
Old 09-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Yes
tell us ? please
Old 09-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
thats just what I was talking about, wonder why some little uneventful thing like that is so clear to us now
Sometimes I think it's because it's a moment in time that has meaning for us - maybe not at the time, but looking back you remember it as being somewhat special.

For me, having time alone with my dad was special. He's been gone for over 20 years now, so I'm glad to have that memory of he and I together, KWIM?

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
tell us ? please
Trust me it is not simple
Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Sometimes I think it's because it's a moment in time that has meaning for us - maybe not at the time, but looking back you remember it as being somewhat special.

For me, having time alone with my dad was special. He's been gone for over 20 years now, so I'm glad to have that memory of he and I together, KWIM?

yes i do, and I hope your right, I would love all these clear memories of the past to have a deep meaning for me that I wasnt aware of at time
Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I know exactly what you mean and it's so odd. Just little things: walking with my friends and finding pieces of colored glass, getting a pepsi from the cooler at the ranch where we used to keep our horse, washing dishes at my grandmother's house. Sitting here right now, I can still smell the coffee that was left over in the bottom of the cups. Little everyday things that don't stand out for any particular reason, yet I can remember them like they happened yesterday.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Sitting in the backseat of our car driving to see parents friends listening to Copacabana on the radio, with my very serious Dad singing right along with it.

Another earliest one I was little, like 2-3? sitting in someone's apartment watching a magic trick. I described this to my Mom and she remembers the who and when. Creepy that one stuck to me.

Makes me think what my kids will remember. Scary!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimR View Post
I know exactly what you mean and it's so odd. Just little things: walking with my friends and finding pieces of colored glass, getting a pepsi from the cooler at the ranch where we used to keep our horse, washing dishes at my grandmother's house. Sitting here right now, I can still smell the coffee that was left over in the bottom of the cups. Little everyday things that don't stand out for any particular reason, yet I can remember them like they happened yesterday.
thats the kind of stuff that sticks with me, and so clear. Im glad I am not the only one
Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
MomiTo2SwtGuys
DIS Veteran

Yes. So many things too.

Sitting on my paternal grandparent's porch. Their house was in a valley and we watched a thunderstorm roll through. They lived way back in the country. There was a tin roof on the porch. The rain poured. My grandfather talked about how bad the clouds looked. ( I miss him and my grandmother so bad sometimes, their life was so simple.) When the storm was over, me and my brother went in their yard (it was so green) and played in the little stream that was flowing out of it banks from all the rain.

Being at one of my friend's house from elementary school. We went out in her yard and I helped her learn a back hand spring for cheerleading.

Crossing the busy street in front of our house with my mom going to an elderly neighbor's house. She had crocheted baby booties and a hat for my new baby brother.

Being at a homecoming at church and my cousin talking about my dress.

All of these events took place more than 20-25 years ago. I had to have been under the age of 7 when they all happened. Not good or bad memories, just things that are very vivid.

MomiTo2SwtGuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Eating dinner at my grandparents house as a kid. (Kraft Mac and Cheese and hot dogs) Playing with the toys and reading the books they kept in a basket on the bottom shelf of the book case for us grand kids. The way my grandmother smelled when I was a child and how she always had peppermint candies that I still love and candy corn that I still hate. Saying goodbye to my grandfather when we moved away.

They are still with us but they are not the same people I remember from my childhood. No Alzheimer's or dementia, maybe it is old age and bitterness, IDK.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
becpee
I see sock puppets

I remember sitting around the kitchen table with friends of the family after my dad had been fishing all day and caught nothing, we were eating fish fingers out of a box as a result, he did say we'd be eating some sort of fish for dinner I'm pretty sure I was no more than 3 years old.

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #15
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

Yes, I remember a lot of stuff that nobody else would remember (or probably care about) from many years ago.

Nothing really too significant: days at school, parties, going places, conversations etc...
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: