Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

I do tech support for a gaming company and part of what I do is help people get their system connected online. At least 10 times a day I hear rooter instead of rowter. I know it's router but trying to explain it phonetically.

I can't say anesthetist. I couldn't even spell it right. Autocorrect helped me out LOL
Old 09-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
whatname
Mouseketeer

Yes. Prostrate for prostate. Old timer's for Alzheimer's. Rotor cup from rotator cuff. As I type, my husband says windmeal for windmill.

Not a mispronunciation, but I hate "have went" for "have gone." Drives me nuts!
whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofinoff View Post
My soon to be ex sister in law says "Fustrated" instead of "Frustrated". Drives me nuts!

awwww thats kind of cute
Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

lol some of you really need to get a hobby, who gives a crap about this kind of thing?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #20
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Oh, I thought of another one. I kept stumbling over infinitesimal last night during a conversation with my husband. I just couldn't get it out properly, nor could I think of an appropriate synonym off the top of my head. It was driving me crazy...he'd say it properly and then I'd try to mimic him and still I'd botch it up. I hadn't even had anything to drink at that point.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #21
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Thought of another one. I have a friend who says lello instead of yellow. She is 34and it drives me NUTS
Old 09-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #22
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

My history teacher over the summer, for an online course, would put together these presentations. Besides the repetitive ummms... or ands, she had horrible pronunciation of some of the most basic words. She even butchered names that the average person would know.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

How do you pronounce this word: HUMBLE?

Is it Humble or Umble?

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #24
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!

I am an English teacher in rural Maine. I think I spend about half my time gently correcting my students' pronunciation or word choice. I can't stand the phrases, "I weren't here yesterday," or "I seen you at Walmart." It's what my students hear at home (and there are even some folks who work at the school who speak using incorrect grammar!) so it's hard to reteach something so ingrained. A Maine word is "banking" for "embankment." It drives one of my coworkers absolutely nuts when someone talks about a car going off the road over the "banking" (or "bankin" as it's usually pronounced). Neither of us are from the area where we now teach, so colloquial phrases from that area really drive both of us a bit crazy.

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #25
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
How do you pronounce this word: HUMBLE?

Is it Humble or Umble?
I pronouce it Humble (with the h), but either (Ither?)is correct.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 09-29-2012 at 09:59 PM.
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #26
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantw8 View Post
lol some of you really need to get a hobby, who gives a crap about this kind of thing?
I do. It drives me insane to hear any of these. My very least favorite is mute for moot. I had a boss who always talked about the mute point until I wanted to strangle her.

I sat in an audience of 200 women the other day and listened to the Club President say "Arthur" instead of "author" at least three times. It was incredibly painful. Everyone at my table winced lol.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #27
tink_lover
POLKA PRINCESS

Kep for kept. Drives me nuts.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #28
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I work for an insurance company and one of my former managers always pronounced "sprinkler system" as "sprinkle system". One time I said to him, Tinkerbell "sprinkles".
Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishteacha View Post
I am an English teacher in rural Maine. I think I spend about half my time gently correcting my students' pronunciation or word choice. I can't stand the phrases, "I weren't here yesterday," or "I seen you at Walmart." It's what my students hear at home (and there are even some folks who work at the school who speak using incorrect grammar!) so it's hard to reteach something so ingrained. A Maine word is "banking" for "embankment." It drives one of my coworkers absolutely nuts when someone talks about a car going off the road over the "banking" (or "bankin" as it's usually pronounced). Neither of us are from the area where we now teach, so colloquial phrases from that area really drive both of us a bit crazy.

Same thing up here! People not understanding how to use the past tense drives me up a wall! "Your" for "you're" is another biggie up here- makes me insane when the principal puts out faculty notices this way!!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #30
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimR View Post
All of the sudden is the one that drives me nuts.
If I don't use the non-idiom "suddenly", I do use the idiom "all of the sudden". And I even probably more commonly leave the "of" out and just say "all the sudden". I always thought people were just being lazy when they said "all of a sudden". In this part of the country I hear it with "the" most often.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: