Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
AEmgee
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14

VGT - will the price drop?

I'm new to Disney Cruise Line but have cruised extensively with Princess Cruises, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity Cruises. Thank you to everybody who contributes on these forums as I have learned a lot.

I am looking at Disney Wonder November 4, 2012 Mexican Riviera. Needless to say, this itinerary is not very popular. Category VGT is available for $898.94pp. The sailing is 5 weeks away. Does anybody have any input about whether these Last Minute Restricted Stateroom Discounts drop in price as the sailing gets closer, and if so, what day of the week price drops tend to occur? For example, Princess Cruises releases Flash Specials typically on Thursdays, and Royal Caribbean has its Sales Event on Tuesdays.

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by AEmgee; 09-29-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typos
AEmgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,493

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmgee View Post
I'm new to Disney Cruise Lines but have cruise extensively with Princess Cruises, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity Cruises. Thank you to everybody who contributes on these forums as I have learned a lot.

I am looking at Disney Wonder November 4, 2012 Mexican Riviera. Needless to say, this itinerary is not very popular. Category VGT is available for $898.94pp. The sailing is 5 weeks away. Does anybody have any input about whether these Last Minute Restricted Stateroom Discounts drop in price as the sailing gets closer, and if so, what day of the week price drops tend to occur? For example, Princess Cruises releases Flash Specials typically on Thursdays, and Royal Caribbean has its Sales Event on Tuesdays.

Thanks for any assistance.
The last minute restricted fares are the final drop in price that DCL does. They are only put out on those cruises that are not selling well, about 45-60 days out from the cruise. There, in all likelyhood, will be no further reductions in prices.

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload
 
TifffanyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL - an hourish from the mouse!
Posts: 7,548

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmgee
I'm new to Disney Cruise Lines but have cruise extensively with Princess Cruises, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity Cruises. Thank you to everybody who contributes on these forums as I have learned a lot.

I am looking at Disney Wonder November 4, 2012 Mexican Riviera. Needless to say, this itinerary is not very popular. Category VGT is available for $898.94pp. The sailing is 5 weeks away. Does anybody have any input about whether these Last Minute Restricted Stateroom Discounts drop in price as the sailing gets closer, and if so, what day of the week price drops tend to occur? For example, Princess Cruises releases Flash Specials typically on Thursdays, and Royal Caribbean has its Sales Event on Tuesdays.

Thanks for any assistance.
Hi there!! I hope you enjoy Disney cruises as much as the other lines!!

VGT are SUPER discounted... I really don't think it ever drops from that. The only rates I've heard that are lower are resident, military, travel agent, or castmember. If you don't qualify for those then you will get the lowest poss with VGT! That is an AWESOME price!
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran
 
sissy_ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmgee View Post
I'm new to Disney Cruise Lines but have cruise extensively with Princess Cruises, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity Cruises. Thank you to everybody who contributes on these forums as I have learned a lot.

I am looking at Disney Wonder November 4, 2012 Mexican Riviera. Needless to say, this itinerary is not very popular. Category VGT is available for $898.94pp. The sailing is 5 weeks away. Does anybody have any input about whether these Last Minute Restricted Stateroom Discounts drop in price as the sailing gets closer, and if so, what day of the week price drops tend to occur? For example, Princess Cruises releases Flash Specials typically on Thursdays, and Royal Caribbean has its Sales Event on Tuesdays.

Thanks for any assistance.
I would say the price you are seeing now is as low as it will go. I have not seen or heard of the *GT prices dropping.
__________________
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

OK, I could be dreaming....but I was tracking one particular cruise. They came out with *GT rates...and less than a month before the cruise they had what I believe to be a lower VGT (only) rate. No IGT or OGT at that point.

Most of the time, the cruises sell out pretty quickly after the *GTs are announced. They aren't like some other lines where the price fluctuates every week.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
AEmgee
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
OK, I could be dreaming....but I was tracking one particular cruise. They came out with *GT rates...and less than a month before the cruise they had what I believe to be a lower VGT (only) rate. No IGT or OGT at that point.

Most of the time, the cruises sell out pretty quickly after the *GTs are announced. They aren't like some other lines where the price fluctuates every week.
Thanks to everybody for their reply! Kcashner - I don't think you are dreaming. Here is one example from these boards where the price of VGT did drop: disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2925829. Sandgrace booked VGT 70 days from the sail date of June 2. Then on May 13 she posted about a price drop. The drop in price was about three weeks prior to sailing. My TA mentioned that for her client's September 30 sailing on the Wonder there was a price drop on September 9, which is 21 days from sailing.
AEmgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit
 
jetskigrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal - 30 minutes from DLR
Posts: 4,981

I had a VGT on the Sept 23rd Wonder sailing (Pacific Coast Cruise) that I booked about 6 months out. I have no idea why they had it so early, but we jumped on it. Then the VGT was removed and didn't show up again until PIF date when it was about $350 less for the two of us. DCL refunded the difference to us.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DS(11)
DL: APers..so as often as possible, WDW: August 2010 (10 nights - Poly)
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran
 
su_A_ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,968

If you see a LOT of verandahs available, and OGT is available, I would gamble with it, specially if there's a big price difference.

This past August, I booked OGT as the difference was over $500 to go VGT on a 5night double dip. Needless to say, I was upgraded to a verandah...

Of course YMMV...
__________________
'77, '84, '94, '00 (SWW) - Off site
'01 (BC), '03 (ASMu), '05 (BC), '06 (YC), '08 (YC), '08 (CSR Xmas),
'09 (CSR), '10 (BC), '10 (CSR Xmas), '11 (BC), '11 (CSR), '12 (5n Dream DD),
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl
I had a VGT on the Sept 23rd Wonder sailing (Pacific Coast Cruise) that I booked about 6 months out. I have no idea why they had it so early, but we jumped on it. Then the VGT was removed and didn't show up again until PIF date when it was about $350 less for the two of us. DCL refunded the difference to us.
Automatically or did you have to call and point it out to them?
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit
 
jetskigrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal - 30 minutes from DLR
Posts: 4,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Automatically or did you have to call and point it out to them?
Automatically. A friend on the same cruise emailed me and said she got a credit on her credit card from DCL and didn't know what it was for. Then I got an email from my TA saying that she had received an email from DCL stating that they had adjusted the price for the VGTs and I would be receiving a refund. A couple days later, it showed up on my CC statement

But I do wonder if the first VGT rate was issued in error. It was way to early (6 months) to be running the discounts and it was pulled after just a week. So mine may be a special case anyway.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DS(11)
DL: APers..so as often as possible, WDW: August 2010 (10 nights - Poly)
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #11
AEmgee
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14

Just a quick follow-up to this thread - the VGT price never dropped, and we are sailing in 2 days. However, new IGTs did become available about 3 weeks prior to sailing which cost $300 less per person.
AEmgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
Automatically. A friend on the same cruise emailed me and said she got a credit on her credit card from DCL and didn't know what it was for. Then I got an email from my TA saying that she had received an email from DCL stating that they had adjusted the price for the VGTs and I would be receiving a refund. A couple days later, it showed up on my CC statement

But I do wonder if the first VGT rate was issued in error. It was way to early (6 months) to be running the discounts and it was pulled after just a week. So mine may be a special case anyway.

I'm amazed to hear this! Does that mean if my IGT rate for my upcoming cruise drops they will give me a credit? I would be (pleasantly!) surprised if that happens. I mean, it is a non-refundable, non-changeable rate that I am locked into...
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit
 
jetskigrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal - 30 minutes from DLR
Posts: 4,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMomInNC View Post
I'm amazed to hear this! Does that mean if my IGT rate for my upcoming cruise drops they will give me a credit? I would be (pleasantly!) surprised if that happens. I mean, it is a non-refundable, non-changeable rate that I am locked into...
If for some reason they release the IGT at a certain rate and then reduce it later, I assume they would. But again, I think mine may have been a unique case because the VGT rate showed up so early (6 months before the cruise which was, what, 4 1/2 months before the PIF date?). And it was only available for about a week. So 1) I think it was a mistake and 2) I think the number of people that booked using that rate was probably not very big and it was easier to just refund the difference to those people than deal with the fall-out when people found out the new VGT was lower.

And I do admit, I was very surprised that they issued us the refund of the difference, because of the restrictions on the fare. When I saw the new VGT show up at a lower rate, I was bummed thinking I rolled the dice booking it so early (and lost) So when I found out they gave us the refund, I was doing the happy dance for sure It was a very nice surprise because given the terms of the fare, they didn't have to do it
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DS(11)
DL: APers..so as often as possible, WDW: August 2010 (10 nights - Poly)
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMomInNC View Post
I'm amazed to hear this! Does that mean if my IGT rate for my upcoming cruise drops they will give me a credit? I would be (pleasantly!) surprised if that happens. I mean, it is a non-refundable, non-changeable rate that I am locked into...
DCL no longer makes price adjustments if a lower price is available AFTER the penalty date. If the new rate is released one day before the penalty date, you can get an adjustment.

There are exceptions--for instance, if a FL resident rate becomes available, guests are allowed to move to this rate.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
goeva
DIS Veteran
 
goeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,516

It's good to know that DCL will do a price adjustment before the penalty date.
__________________

MeDH DD DS
goeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.