Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
GrandCanyon
Mouseketeer

Question Embarkation Day Lunch on Dream

Embarkation Day: Enchanted Garden or Cabanas? (Pros/Cons)

Suggestions for Other Days? (Pros/Cons)

Any downside to ordering room service for breakfast every day (concierge)?

Last edited by GrandCanyon; 09-29-2012 at 04:50 PM.
GrandCanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We prefer to do lunch in Enchanted Garden on embarkation day. We like that you are seated at your own table, have drinks brought to you, are in air-conditioning, and don't have to juggle food and bags.
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

We went to Cabanas for breakfast and lunch everyday. There are tons of seats inside, so no need to worry about being outside without A/C, unless you want to be. I like that I can get up and get a drink anytime I want and not have to wait for someone to come by so I can ask for another one. It just works out better for us. Not to mention, it's so bright and sunny up there with all the windows.

ETA: There is so much to choose from at the buffet. I like to try a little of everything and when I find something I love I go back for more.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

The downside to me would be that I don't want to each breakfast in my room. I would rather be comfortably seated at a table and served breakfast.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
We went to Cabanas for breakfast and lunch everyday. There are tons of seats inside, so no need to worry about being outside without A/C, unless you want to be. I like that I can get up and get a drink anytime I want and not have to wait for someone to come by so I can ask for another one. It just works out better for us. Not to mention, it's so bright and sunny up there with all the windows.

ETA: There is so much to choose from at the buffet. I like to try a little of everything and when I find something I love I go back for more.

We did the same this summer. Worked well because there was something for everyone and we could sit in the sun!
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCanyon View Post
Unless this has changed since we were on the Dream last month.....

Just so you know, only guests staying in a suite can order hot breakfast (or dinner from one of the dining rooms) from room service. Guests staying in a cat V (Dream and Fantasy) can only order from the regular room service menu. If you're a Concierge guest sailing on the Wonder or Magic, then you will be in a suite. If you're sailing on the Dream or Fantasy, and staying in a suite (cat T or R) I would suggest checking with the Concierge team in the lounge about ordering breakfast. The first time we were in a suite on the Dream the room service folks had no idea what to do when we tried to order breakfast.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007

Last edited by outahere; 09-30-2012 at 09:49 AM.
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
GrandCanyon
Mouseketeer

Question

We are in Concierge and my understanding is that we can eat in the Concierge Lounge, or order to our room from any of the Rotational Dining venues. I don't think we can do room service from Palo's or Remy. I wish Disney offered a balcony dining experience, like on Princess.
  1. We'll be going in January, so is outside dining recommended for Cabana's or Palo Brunch?
  2. We also have Palo on one evening at 6:00, but it gets dark at 5:30 ... will it still be a fun experience with no view?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #8
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
We are in Concierge and my understanding is that we can eat in the Concierge Lounge, or order to our room from any of the Rotational Dining venues. I don't think we can do room service from Palo's or Remy. I wish Disney offered a balcony dining experience, like on Princess.
  1. We'll be going in January, so is outside dining recommended for Cabana's or Palo Brunch?
  2. We also have Palo on one evening at 6:00, but it gets dark at 5:30 ... will it still be a fun experience with no view?
I don't remember Palo having outside dining.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
outahere

Quote:
There aren't any full meals served in the lounge, just small items like continental breakfast, some small sandwiches and appetizers, desserts and drinks. You're welcome to eat them there, or take them back to your room. As I said in my earlier post, only guests staying in a suite (cat T and R on the Dream and Fantasy) may order from the rotational menus. There really isn't room in a cat V (Concierge Family Stateroom) to eat a full meal, as there is no table and chairs, only a very small table in front of the sofa. If you are staying in one of the two Royal suites (cat R) you can order from Palo, but not from Remy's.

There is no outside dining in Palo, but there is a lounge between Palo and Remy's that has an outdoor deck.

While the view from Palo is very nice, we eat there for the dining experience (and the peace and quiet). Dining there after dark would still be a very enjoyable dinner.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Embarkation Day: Enchanted Garden or Cabanas? (Pros/Cons)

Suggestions for Other Days? (Pros/Cons)

i think you mentioned in your other thread that you're in a one bedroom suite, so you can order from the rotationals and hot breakfast etcetc.. And you'll have a nice dining area in which to eat whatever you order (and you're right, you won't be able to order from palo or remy - only the royal suites can)...

embarkation day: go to the concierge lounge first - you can get rid of your carry on bags there (give them to the concierge staff to hold on to until your room is ready). Then you can go to lunch without dragging your carry ons around with you.

as for which restaurant - i haven't figured this out for myself yet. I'm still debating cabanas vs enchanted garden. i think we'll decide when we're in the concierge lounge which one to go to.

Breakfast: i suggest you start your day with a cup of awesome concierge lounge coffee and maybe something to munch on with it (i've heard the coffee is awesome, i haven't experienced it yet - i'll let you know if it really is).
And then head to the Royal Palace for a proper sit down, table service meal. This is what i would do if i were on my own, but who knows, maybe my sister will prefer going to one of the buffets (at cabanas or the enchanted garden).

Lunch: my preference? RP. where i'll actually end up eating? we shall see.

my cruise is only 20 days from now, so i'll let you know how it goes, and give you my actual opinions after the cruise
Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
GrandCanyon
Mouseketeer

Question

Yes, we are in a 1-Bedroom Suite ... not a Stateroom. In regard to Palo's, I read one one post that the view is great if it's daylight, but at night it's just all the lights shining up. Is that correct?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Yes, we are in a 1-Bedroom Suite ... not a Stateroom. In regard to Palo's, I read one one post that the view is great if it's daylight, but at night it's just all the lights shining up. Is that correct?
yes, but people go there for the food and service, rather than the view (at night)...

as of now, i have palo dinner scheduled for pirate night and palo brunch for the sea day (which is the next day - so that means brunch the morning right after dinner there the evening before)..

i sent both menus to my sister - the pirate menu and palo dinner menu - and strangely, she prefers the pirate menu, so i think i'm going to cancel the palo dinner and just have us there for brunch....might as well experience the whole pirate dress up thing...we can eat at a good italian restaurant any day of the week on dry land...not often we get to have mediocre food served by people wearing pirate bandannas...and my mom adores watching happy little kids....so palo is definitely not the place for that!!

i've put in a request with the shoreside concierge team for a window table in palo for our brunch, though i don't know if we'll get it or not.

Last edited by disneyholic family; 10-01-2012 at 12:36 PM.
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
cblack
Mousketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family

yes, but people go there for the food and service, rather than the view (at night)...

as of now, i have palo dinner scheduled for pirate night and palo brunch for the sea day (which is the next day - so that means brunch the morning right after dinner there the evening before).
We did this on our first cruise and I would not recommend it. After Palo dinner, I could have skipped breakfast and had a very light lunch the next day...instead I was stuffing my face again :rofl:

cblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #14
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

Palo seating is almost stadium style seating. Even if you are in the back of the restaurant from the windows, you have a great view because you are up about 3 or 4 steps.

The view from Palo is the same view you get off of the side of the ship, usually just water with the occasional passing ship in the distance.

At least on the Dream/Fantasy, you don't have to look at people walking around outside of the windows in their bathing suits....usually unaware that Palo is there and people are watching....

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #15
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite2 View Post
Palo seating is almost stadium style seating. Even if you are in the back of the restaurant from the windows, you have a great view because you are up about 3 or 4 steps.

The view from Palo is the same view you get off of the side of the ship, usually just water with the occasional passing ship in the distance.

At least on the Dream/Fantasy, you don't have to look at people walking around outside of the windows in their bathing suits....usually unaware that Palo is there and people are watching....
no matter the view, i always prefer to sit by the window ....then it's just view without people muddying up the picture
i have coffee almost every day looking out on the mediterranean - if possible always by the window....
it won't be a deal breaker if i'm not seated by the window for palo brunch, but it will make it that much nicer...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: