Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Trip Advisor negative deluxe reviews

Trip Advisor has posted some real negative reviews on the POLY this month. Anyone been there lately who can confirm or deny these?
The negatives are definitely reactionary in some cases but there are quite a few now....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...o_Florida.html
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
ajh88
DIS Veteran

I guess I take them with the same grain of salt with which I take all other TripAdvisor reviews. Some people go and love it, others go and hate it. Some people have nothing nice to say ever while others never have anything bad to say.

I think the one that cracked me up the most was the one from the guy mad because he could only get one Fast Pass per day and that they had to change busses (or something like that) to accommodate a person on a scooter. These are not Poly specific issues (or even accurate RE: Fastpass)...yet later in his review he recommends the Contemporary over the Poly, as though a DTD bus issue will be resolved if you stay at CR vs Poly.

Overall, there are 129 poor or terrible reviews out of 1,172 total reviews. So, a hair over 10% of the people who have stayed there found it terrible or poor. That seems about right according to a bell curve...and many, many more than average (591, over 50%) rated it excellent. In addition, at least one of the negative reviews was from a person who admittedly hadn't even stayed there.

I stand by the assertion I make about all decisions - do some research and inform yourself, but don't rely on the subjective viewpoints of strangers for your final decision. (with the caveat that if 90% of reviews are negative, you might want to put a little more weight on them!).

ajh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
mimmi
DIS Veteran

One of the "problems" with the tripadvisor reviews is, that they aren't only from Disney fans, or even informed people.
I guess many of them just go to WDW once and except real deluxe hotels, probably comparing them to deluxe hotels they have already stayed at for the same money.
If you spend so much time on the disboards as many of us do, you know that you won't get a Mandarin Oriental, Banyan Tree, Ritz Carlton or whatever even thoughthe Disney hotels may cost the same, so you won't be disappointed but people who haven't spent months on researching their Disney vacation and aren't huge fans may be.

I know that I pay Disney prices for emotional reasons above all, even location is much less important to me than being immersed, so I know that most the reviews on tripadvisor aren't relevant to me and my situation.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Did you see the one where they rated Poly at 1 star because they couldn't get into Ohana and they were angry that you "apparently need get reservations 6 months in advance????" They stated that for the money they were spending they should have been able to eat there....this just echoes what a PP said about people not being informed or doing research and being mad about things that they didn't know about.

I have learned that trip advisor is pretty good for entertainment value, but I don't really pay too much attention to those reviews.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Sammie
DIS Veteran

If you read the reviews many people give the resort a bad rap because of their dissatisfaction over something that happened not even at the resort.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Everyone has different opinions/expectations and what one might see as a bad experience/resort, another will find it the total opposite. From all the reviews I've ever read, it seems people either love or hate the Poly. With that said, all resorts get bad reviews and I would take those reviews with a grain of salt.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
kathie859
DIS Veteran

I think the issue is that for the same money you can get a true luxury hotel in any major city. Don't get me wrong, I like staying in a "deluxe" but I've stayed elsewhere for less and gotten nicer accommodations. I think when someone posts on Tripadvisor and they travel a lot--they are comparing WDW idea of deluxe to the other luxury brands. WDW does come up short.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
HeyIt'sMe
For Tag Fairy's Use only
That weed whacker just intimidates me somethin' fierce!

"On the other hand, this does not make up for the fact that the place is full of screaming, misbehaving kids who have really sorry excuses for parents who have no concern for the comfort of others."

Someone actually put this in their negative review of the Poly. Yeah, that's the resort's fault.

1970s - Contemporary: Nov 1975
1980s - Offsite: Jun 1985
1990s - Polynesian: Oct 1991, Oct 1993

2000s - Polynesian: Sep 2000, Oct 2001, Sep 2002, Oct 2003, Oct 2004, Oct 2006, Oct 2008
2010s - Polynesian: Oct 2010, Oct 2011, Oct 2012, Oct 2013
Trip Planning in Progress - Grand Floridian (sorry Polynesian): Oct 2014
HeyIt'sMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie859 View Post
I think the issue is that for the same money you can get a true luxury hotel in any major city. Don't get me wrong, I like staying in a "deluxe" but I've stayed elsewhere for less and gotten nicer accommodations. I think when someone posts on Tripadvisor and they travel a lot--they are comparing WDW idea of deluxe to the other luxury brands. WDW does come up short.
I don't find Tripadvisor particularly helpful or accurate. That said, This issue of a "deluxe" is discussed often at the DIS.
I travel frequently. I have stayed in some very nice hotels. You can walk out of lots of 4 or 5 star hotels, and there you are on a busy street, battling traffic.

I walk out of an Epcot resort, and I'm looking at beautiful Crescent Lake.
Within minutes I'm at the International Gateway on my way into Epcot.
I find great value in a WDW resort. I like the theming, accommodations, CMs, the pre-planning services of the IPO when staying CL.

Other travelers may be looking for something else when they spend their vacation $$, that's fine. It doesn't bother me. I don't see one option as better than one another, they are apples and oranges.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~

Last edited by gwynne; 09-28-2012 at 07:21 AM.
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
RedfromNL
Mouseketeer

I always look at the why of any extremely positive or negative reviews on any site, not just tripadvisor.

Some are just plain nutty, like some the PP'rs gave or "we didn't like the location" Do some research fools!
But some can be usefull. Like one hotel I quite liked until I read reviews of the lovely open bar at the front which stayed open till 3 am..... Yikes!
Some extremely positive ones can be just as strange. Probably written by relatives or something.

Bottom line: look at the reviews, check out some of the extremes and a few in the middle and WHY they give it that rating. Is it for something that matters to you or couldn't you care less?

I mean: for me the open bar was a no-no, for you it might actually add to the appeal of the hotel!
RedfromNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Missytara
I'm all ears!

My favorite "review" was from a bartender at a place I happened to have dinner at, when she saw my Disney keychain.

She went into this big long story about their once-in-a-lifetime trip that they saved for years to go on to the GF was ruined by Disney and they would never return.

She said she was told by the travel agent they would receive their luggage off the bus by 3 pm, and they checked in at 2:25 pm. (She was referring to Magical Express) I said, no, it is three hours after you check-in to your resort. She swore she said three pm.

Anyway, long story short, she was in a panic because her anti-seizure medication was in her checked baggage. I was like, are you kidding me? What if the airline had lost your luggage? She looked appalled at the fact that an airline would even lose luggage.

When she stormed down to the check-in desk at 3:15 pm in a fit, they swung into action and found all five bags (it was her, DH, and three children) immediately. The next morning, they sent over three sets of mouse ears for the kids, a t-shirt for each of them, and one of the Cinderella chocolate slippers. I said that was wonderful, that they did that, even though it was her mistake.

In her mind, Disney "tried" to make up for THEIR mistake and she felt like they were appeasing her. She wasn't buying any of it.

OMG......I ended my conversation with her, saying she could have stayed for about a third of the price at POP and had just as good of a time.....and she didn't get it.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedfromNL View Post
I always look at the why of any extremely positive or negative reviews on any site, not just tripadvisor.

Some are just plain nutty, like some the PP'rs gave or "we didn't like the location" Do some research fools!But some can be usefull. Like one hotel I quite liked until I read reviews of the lovely open bar at the front which stayed open till 3 am..... Yikes!
Some extremely positive ones can be just as strange. Probably written by relatives or something.

Bottom line: look at the reviews, check out some of the extremes and a few in the middle and WHY they give it that rating. Is it for something that matters to you or couldn't you care less?

I mean: for me the open bar was a no-no, for you it might actually add to the appeal of the hotel!

This would be a funny tag line....

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
Cinderumbrella
Wench

The key to Trip Advisor is to read between the lines. See what the reviewer is REALLY upset about and, a lot of the time, it has little to do with the resort itself (like so many PPs have mentioned above). Makes you wonder if those who love it and those who hate it are even staying at the same place...

I wouldn't worry too much about their reviews...
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
The key to Trip Advisor is to read between the lines. See what the reviewer is REALLY upset about and, a lot of the time, it has little to do with the resort itself (like so many PPs have mentioned above). Makes you wonder if those who love it and those who hate it are even staying at the same place...

I wouldn't worry too much about their reviews...
And keep in mind that a surprising number of the reviews are generated by competitors (negative) or the hotel themselves (positive).

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

The reviews that for me were the reviews that said the rooms were small!?!

The average hotel room I've stayed in has been closer in size to a Moderate, Poly rooms are bigger. How many hotel rooms comfortablly fit two queens plus a twin size sofa bed?

Oh well, to each their own. I hope to see more of these bad reviews that might make it easier for me to get a ressie at the Poly for my next trip. ;-)

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: