Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
TI double-GUH ER
Mouseketeer

Contemporary for kids?

We're debating resorts - a return trip to POFQ, which suited us just fine last time, or taking a day or two off the length of the trip and upgrading to the contemporary.
DS will be 5, DD will be 2 -- so I don't know how much the decor will matter, or if they even understand "theming".

Pros for CR: more space, more restaurant options, closer to MK, monorail service (DS loves the monorail -- considers it a real ride!!)
Cons: no slide at the pool, more expensive, shorter trip, and it isn't as "disney" on the inside as some others...

the only thing we didn't like about FQ last time was the food court -- we felt it was small, and the choices very limited. DH would prefer someplace with a sit down -- I did tell him we can walk to RS, so that isn't a deal breaker.

I'm wondering if DS, who remembers FQ, would be as charmed with contemporary? Right now he is excited to see his "friend" (the door greeter), and go on the pool slide, and to hug the "horses" (hitching posts).

Opinions? Anyone have LOs who either loved or hated either place?
TI double-GUH ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

As you can tell from my signature, we've stayed in several different WDW resorts (including POFQ), and our first CR stay is coming up soon. Our boys (now 5, 12 and 13) have always wanted to stay at CR because they say that the theme is the monorail! For them, that's cool enough to not need other theming.

Since we stay in several different resorts, we always wonder whether we (and our boys) will enjoy new resorts as much as old favorites. I've found that it's much easier to introduce new resorts to kids when they're little, like yours! (Our teen and pre-teen have much stronger opinions now than they did when they were little!)

For our 5-year-old, I make little books with photos and stories for each upcoming trip, and he LOVES these. (We actually do this for trips of all kinds - New York, Boston, D.C, California, Disney Cruise, etc.) The book I made for MNSSHP coming up has a CR component because we're doing a split stay between BC (old favorite) and CR (new to us.) He saw the pictures of CR and the story about how the monorail goes through it, and he's really excited. Anyway, he's stayed in lots of different resorts and at this age, he loves them all!

But I'm happy to report back when we return home next month!

P.S. The pool at CR also has a slide!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!

Last edited by pixarmom; 09-29-2012 at 01:45 PM.
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
buzzrelly
DIS Veteran

I never understand why some people say CR doesn't feel as Disney-fied as some of the other resorts. I've stayed at CR, OKW and CB and honestly, CR felt the most like we were right in the center of Disney! We had a tower TPV so all we had to do was walk out on our balcony and you're looking right into the MK. What's better than that? Plus, with the monorail running through it and Chef Mickey's singing and sounds, it doesn't get any more Disney feeling. I've been in the GF and POLY and I don't feel like I'm in Disney anymore in those resorts. I think if you try it, you won't regret it. The rooms are beautiful, the location can't be beat, and if it really makes that big of a difference, the pool actually does have a slide into it. I know because my mom fell into the pool while trying to lean over and watch my son coming down it last time we were there! And can I just say, the lifeguards at the CR are awesome there as well! Lol!
1989 Off Site-2003 Contemporary Resort-2006 Old Key West-2008 Caribbean Beach Resort-2010 Contemporary Resort-2012 Disney Cruise Line Magic-2013 Contemporary Resort-2013 Beach Club -2014 POP Century with Dance the World

buzzrelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
taymorel
Mouseketeer

My son loved staying at the CR. But he loves hotels, in general, he doesn't really care about the theming of them. He was really excited about having the monorail there. But, the best part about the hotel was the MK View and watching the fireworks from the balcony--that was worth the higher price.

2010 Contemporary
2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Royal Pacific Resort
2014 Wilderness Lodge/Royal Pacific Resort
taymorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at FQ and CR. I'd pick FQ every time. It's so much... Warmer. Better themed. Love the landscaping. Love the background music. Better pool. Awesome greeters. Kids love throwing coins in the fountain. It's small, less walking. Love the boat. And if that all weren't enough, it's roughly half the price.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
TJA
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to chime in that CR is a favorite of my kids. I can remember thinking the same as you about the non-disney feel, but my mind was soon changed once we stepped on the level with the restaurants, gift shops, and monorail running through. It's a very magical resort to stay at, especially when the kids are very young - just a short walk to MK and you really can't beat that. And the views of Wishes are fascinating right from the CR. Oh and as posted above, the CR does have a slide and my kids really like it. There is also a play/splash area that my kids like.

I remember walking outside to the pool area and thinking how much nicer it was in person. In fact, there is sand/beach and another pool right near the water. It's really quite pretty.

The only part that feels sterile or business-like is the lobby. But you won't be there very often. All the action is on the 4th floor and that's where you'll spend your time.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
meredith1
DIS Veteran

The only time we've been was when our daughter was 3.5 and we stayed in the CR. Rooms were large and the view of the fireworks from our patio was great. We were able to sit in our room and watch fireworks in our PJ's! You can't top that with such a young kid!

My only drawback to CR is the service. I didn't find it to be very service oriented. We only saw housekeeping once in the five days we were there and only when we complained.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Kae
DIS Veteran

CR is one of the resorts I want to stay at again, first time was 1971 I think my kids would love it. Now I am gonna be one of those posters. Have you thought about WL one of the cheaper Deluxes, beautiful, you will have a balcony, room size a little bigger than POFQ.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
TI double-GUH ER
Mouseketeer

Wow! Great responses so far! Thanks!!

Sorry about the mis-info on the slide - was going by what a former TA friend of mine had said when I asked her about the resorts... I should have known to check on the DIS first!! Thanks for setting me straight! One less thing to factor into the decision!
TI double-GUH ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI double-GUH ER
We're debating resorts - a return trip to POFQ, which suited us just fine last time, or taking a day or two off the length of the trip and upgrading to the contemporary.
DS will be 5, DD will be 2 -- so I don't know how much the decor will matter, or if they even understand "theming".

Pros for CR: more space, more restaurant options, closer to MK, monorail service (DS loves the monorail -- considers it a real ride!!)
Cons: no slide at the pool, more expensive, shorter trip, and it isn't as "disney" on the inside as some others...

the only thing we didn't like about FQ last time was the food court -- we felt it was small, and the choices very limited. DH would prefer someplace with a sit down -- I did tell him we can walk to RS, so that isn't a deal breaker.

I'm wondering if DS, who remembers FQ, would be as charmed with contemporary? Right now he is excited to see his "friend" (the door greeter), and go on the pool slide, and to hug the "horses" (hitching posts).

Opinions? Anyone have LOs who either loved or hated either place?

I'd say that CR is the most Disneyfied of any of the deluxe resorts. I've never understood people who say it isn't..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

We just returned from our 1st CR stay, & our kids loved it! (We've stayed in the FW cabins, WL, & CBR previously.)

As soon as things get somewhat settled around here, I plan to do a mini-review of our stay.

Younger DS loved the monorail, & he kept referring to the CR as "home".

The rooms are nice & large. DD had one bed, older DS had the daybed, & younger DS had his pack-n-play; DH & I had to share!

Older DS & DD really liked the pool slide.

Because the hotel is under one roof, I felt comfortable w/ older DD & DS going by themselves to refill their mugs or down to the pool.

Fantasia was a fun gift store, but we never got to try out the arcade.

There's also a nightly movie outside & a Ping Pong table.

We were on the Bay Lake side, & we got to watch the nightly Electric Boat Parade from our balcony - which is one of DH's favorite things.

Contempo Cafe (the quickservice) is good - we ate there for bkfst & dinner one time each. And the castmembers, even though it was busy, were friendly & helpful.

Plus, it's cool being in the MK & looking over & seeing "your" hotel!

And the walkway between the CR & the MK is marvelous!

I think the CR is very "Disney-ish"! It's one of the original hotels, the monorail runs through, &, of course, Mickey & his friends are right there serving breakfast & dinner at Chef Mickey's!

Plus, we also like the Mary Blair mural on the walls in the concourse. The whole resort felt fun & lively!

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 5 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
lady_hlh
DIS Veteran

Our 10 year old DD actually picked CR for next years trip. We had lunch at the Contempo Cafe, she thought the resort was cool plus loved that you could walk to MK. I booked AKL for our free dining bounceback but when I mentioned that the garden wing at CR would only be a few hundred more she begged to stay there instead.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
DisneyHardin
DIS Veteran

We absolutely love the Contemporary, but also love French Quarter. I wouldn't shorten my visit just to stay at the "fancier" hotel though. I cherish my days at Disney.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

I would stay at CR bc of all of the pros you said. I think the location can't be beat w/ the monorail.. And it does have a slide at the pool - not the best, but still good. FQ's perk is the boat to DTD - which is fine but not as good as the monorail.

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
andrencau
Mouseketeer

Our kids love it. We watch the fireworks from the balcony. Probably one of their favorite things of all is to sit at the Contempo (Counter Service) and just look at the different colored monorails that go through the resort. They could easily do this for an hour. The monorail is a ride all into itself for my children. It is also cool to be able to walk out your door and see Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald and Pluto walking around Chef Mickey's. So many more things to say about CR. WE LOVE IT!
andrencau is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: