Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #16
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I take the following:

B12 injections. I was on B12 supplements (5mg) but we just discovered that my level has plummeted again even on the supplements so I am starting injections next week. We have no idea WHY I'm not absorbing B12...but I'm not.

Magnesium: I get migraines. But...we think the low B12 might be contributing. So once my B12 level goes back up, I will go off the magnesium.

Vitamin D/Calcium: I have a famiy history of osteoporosis. I am also sensitive to dairy so that eliminates a huge source of calcium. I also always wear sunscreen adn dont spend much time outside b/c I'm fair skinned so my levels are normal, but low norma.

Folic Acid: 4mg everyday. I'm on methotrexate which can deplete folic acid levels

Biotin: can help counteract side effects form methotrexate
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #17
shortbun
Peacenik

Multi, calcium, D, CoQ10, Fish oil, 2 baby aspirin

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #18
Nette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree Bobbins View Post
My son who is a weight lifiter also recommended a magnesium-zinc-calcium supplement to me (all in 1 pill).

And sometimes I take salmon oil.

I am curious as to what others take, because despite my supplements, I came down with gout in August. Would love to know what people take OTC to prevent gout.
Baking soda. Really. My husband gets gout and the thing that clears a flare up almost immediately (within the first day) is taking a tsp of baking soda in a glass of water (doesn't have to be a lot of water, in fact getting less water means you can "shoot" it and get it over with). It tastes AWFUL. But it works, so he does it.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #19
Nette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMN View Post
I do agree with all of this however, it doesn't account for those of us who take other meds that deplete what we'd naturally be getting from foods, OR we are taking medicines that hinder the absorption of nutrients we SHOULD be getting from food.

A good example of what I'm talking about is vitamin D and calcium, and how they should be taken together. Another example is I would normally be getting plenty of calcium in my diet but due to stomach acid reducers I don't absorb what I take in through my foods, thus I pump quite a bit extra calcium on a daily basis.

Natural foods are indeed the best but there are sometimes problems that make getting all our nutrients through them.
Exactly. And it's definitely been shown that fruits and veggies these days don't have the same nutrient content they used to. The nutrient content (and flavor) has been bred out of them in order to make them prettier and more shippable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
I take the following:

B12 injections. I was on B12 supplements (5mg) but we just discovered that my level has plummeted again even on the supplements so I am starting injections next week. We have no idea WHY I'm not absorbing B12...but I'm not.

Magnesium: I get migraines. But...we think the low B12 might be contributing. So once my B12 level goes back up, I will go off the magnesium.

Vitamin D/Calcium: I have a famiy history of osteoporosis. I am also sensitive to dairy so that eliminates a huge source of calcium. I also always wear sunscreen adn dont spend much time outside b/c I'm fair skinned so my levels are normal, but low norma.

Folic Acid: 4mg everyday. I'm on methotrexate which can deplete folic acid levels

Biotin: can help counteract side effects form methotrexate
Do you have stomach problems? I do. As people get older they quit making the intrinsic factor that helps the absorption of B12. Sometimes if you have a particularly acidic stomach, you are unable to make that intrinsic factor even in your youth. That's why you aren't absorbing the B12.

I take:

B12 shots.
Iron (low b12 usually leads to low iron since b12 is needed to help absorb iron. It also helps with my RLS.)
Prenatal vitamin (still breastfeeding, but it's also just a good multivitamin)
Cal-Mag-Zinc (keeps me regular and helps with RLS)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I used to take a multi-vitamin, fish oil and vitaimin D until I came down with some odd symptoms last spring. Then a few weeks ago, I did some googling and discovered it could be the supplements I was taking, specifically vitamin D, so I quit taking them all. Unfortunately, it can take months for the levels to drop so now I'm just waiting to see if that is the culprit.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #21
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

Lots of meds and lots of supplements (trying to reduce the need/dependency on the meds):

Cranberry, Probiotics, Cinnamon, Vit D, Vit B, Ginseng, sometimes Iron, and I probably need to start some Calcium again.

My problem comes in with what I can take when with and not with my medications. It becomes a bit of a tight walk.

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Just a multi..
Old 12-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #23
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nette View Post
Exactly. And it's definitely been shown that fruits and veggies these days don't have the same nutrient content they used to. The nutrient content (and flavor) has been bred out of them in order to make them prettier and more shippable.

Do you have stomach problems? I do. As people get older they quit making the intrinsic factor that helps the absorption of B12. Sometimes if you have a particularly acidic stomach, you are unable to make that intrinsic factor even in your youth. That's why you aren't absorbing the B12.

I take:

B12 shots.
Iron (low b12 usually leads to low iron since b12 is needed to help absorb iron. It also helps with my RLS.)
Prenatal vitamin (still breastfeeding, but it's also just a good multivitamin)
Cal-Mag-Zinc (keeps me regular and helps with RLS)
I do have stomach problems but I do still make the intrinsic factor according to my GI. And I actually dont have an acidic stomach (shockingly). Ive had the full GI workup (plus some). And I had issues with B12 before I had stomach problems.

And B12 is my ONLY issue. I dont have issues with any other nutrients. And its not "low"...its on the lower end of normal, but too low for my neurologists comfort and its dropped a lot so they are doing something about it.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #24
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

I should and have them - fish oil, calcium, b12, etc. but the only one I take consistently is Flax Seed.

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #25
Wild One
I'm a real wild child

I am on a Multi Vitamin and a Prenatal Vitamin.

Me-, DS-(1) , DD-(In My Belly)
Wild One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #26
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

My eye dr. has suggested taking Omega-3 to help dry eye. My concern is that is seems to be quite a large dose. It's 2668 mg. per day. Two capsules in the morning and two at night. Does anyone else have experience taking it for dry eye?
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #27
kmb584
DIS Veteran

I take B-Complex, Calcium Mag + D, Fish Oil, and CoQ10. Multivitamins make me puke.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #28
Domo
DIS Veteran

This is going to sound wacky, but...

Dark chocolate, a little bit. Good antidepressant.

Green leaf salad. Excellent sedative and hypnotic.

Otherwise I could recommend artificial light boxes in the winter months to compensate for the lack of sunlight; it lifts the mood more than people think (it combats S.A.D. or Seasonal Affective Disorder).

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:17 AM   #29
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree Bobbins View Post
Do you find any health supplements helpful? I take a multi-vitamin and some times vit. D.
Nothing.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #30
Patience
DIS Veteran

I take a multi, krill oil, CoQ10 and a baby aspirin.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: