Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Sheree Bobbins
DIS Veteran

What health supplement do you take?

Do you find any health supplements helpful? I take a multi-vitamin and some times vit. D.
Sheree Bobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

I take a multi vitamin and I also take a calcium/magnesium supplement. Years ago I read that some migraine sufferers had low levels of magnesium and supplements might help. After a month on the magnesium I went from getting 1-2 migraines a month to getting maybe 1 migraine every 6 months or so..so they really seemed to help me.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
DisMN
DIS Veteran

I take D along with a ton of Calcium citrate. I've been on stomach acid reducers for years and started having bad bad calf cramps. Went on for months until someone mentioned it might be a lack of calcium. By the next day the leg cramps had stopped.........so I just keep on taking the stuff! LOL

The D is because there's no sunlight up here.
DisMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Sheree Bobbins
DIS Veteran

My son who is a weight lifiter also recommended a magnesium-zinc-calcium supplement to me (all in 1 pill).

And sometimes I take salmon oil.

I am curious as to what others take, because despite my supplements, I came down with gout in August. Would love to know what people take OTC to prevent gout.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Sheree Bobbins
DIS Veteran

My mom takes TUMS to replace the calcium she loses during dialysis.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

The only thing I take is a B12 supplement. I am vegetarian and while not completley vegan I eat very little dairy so I need the B12.

mombrontrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

I take:

-Calcium with Vitamin D. They prevent my hormonally related migraines.
-Cranberry. They seem to prevent UTIs.
-Flaxseed Oil geltabs. They stopped my hot flashes within 24 hours.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Bilberry
DIS Veteran

I take a few supplements such as magnesium, vitamin K2, and enough vitamin D3 to reach a testing level of above 50ng/ml. With flu season around the corner, D3 has been good at keeping me cold free for around 6 years at this point - knock on wood!

I've seen a few articles of late about D3 helping with preventing the flu bug. One that I recall with this mention.

"Unique vitamin D observations"

http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/2009...ervations.html

snippet:

Quote:
...–Immunity from viral infections–I first learned of this association from Dr. John Cannell of the Vitamin D Council (www.vitamindcouncil.com). Dr. Cannell recounts his experience with the 2006 flu epidemic in the hospital in northern California, where he is a psychiatrist charged with the health of 200 inpatients held in closed wards. While the flu spread like wildfire to the patients in all the other wards, the 200 patients in Dr. Cannell’s ward failed to contract a single episode of flu while taking 2000 units of vitamin D per day.

I was a little skeptical at first, having been disappointed by the failure of several nutritional agents like zinc, vitamin C (perhaps, at best, a minimal effect). Now, three years into my vitamin D experience, I am absolutely convinced that Dr. Cannells’ early observation was correct: Vitamin D enhances immunity enormously. Not only have I personally not had a virus in several years, the majority of my staff and patients have been happily free of viral infections. There have been a few, to be sure. But the usual winters of hacking, coughing, and sneezing in the office have become largely a memory. It is a rare person who comes to the office with viral symptoms.
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran

Glucosamine-HCL for my joints (knees mostly)
And fish oil

I used to take a multi-vit but I am starting to believe the ones that you get in a big bottle for $10-15 are not effective and, right now, I am not willing to spend the $30-60 per month on the ones I think are useful.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
DisMN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree Bobbins View Post
My son who is a weight lifiter also recommended a magnesium-zinc-calcium supplement to me (all in 1 pill).

And sometimes I take salmon oil.

I am curious as to what others take, because despite my supplements, I came down with gout in August. Would love to know what people take OTC to prevent gout.
How often do you take salmon oil? That could very well be the culprit. Fish, especially the richer fish and their delicious caviar are mighty high in purines, a prime contributor to gout. I discovered that the hard way.

Good luck. I hope the answer is as simple as that!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

From a slide prevention by a nutritionist at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston:

"American's spend over $20 billion per year on dietary supplements despite limited and inconclusive scientific evidence of effectiveness in disease prevention and treatment"

"We throw away more than 11 billions pound of fruits and vegetables every year in the U.S."

If you want extra supplements, get them from raw fruits and veggies. Plain and simple. Unless you are under a doctors care and are prescribed supplements. Most american's are vitamin D deficient and that vitamin is hard to come by from foods (the sun is the greatest provider of vitamin D) so taking a vitamin D3 supplement is common. Vitamin B12 is also hard to come by in raw foods so that is another one that is fairly common. Be sure to check with your doctor and have your blood tested to get your levels.

1 orange (a little bit bigger than a baseball) contains approx 62 calories, 130% of the daily recommended requirement of vitamin C, 3 grams of fiber and 170 phytonutrients.
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

I don't know if it's a supplement per se, but I drink barley grass juice. I mix it with tomato juice and it tastes alright. I don't drink it consistently, I guess I'm more in the trying it stage.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Night shifter here! I take Vitamin D ( I was severely deficient) and a multivitamin. And I LOVE the vitafusion gummy vitamins, they make it a lot easier. I also use melatonin to sleep.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
DisMN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap18 View Post
From a slide prevention by a nutritionist at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston:

"American's spend over $20 billion per year on dietary supplements despite limited and inconclusive scientific evidence of effectiveness in disease prevention and treatment"

"We throw away more than 11 billions pound of fruits and vegetables every year in the U.S."

If you want extra supplements, get them from raw fruits and veggies. Plain and simple. Unless you are under a doctors care and are prescribed supplements. Most american's are vitamin D deficient and that vitamin is hard to come by from foods (the sun is the greatest provider of vitamin D) so taking a vitamin D3 supplement is common. Vitamin B12 is also hard to come by in raw foods so that is another one that is fairly common. Be sure to check with your doctor and have your blood tested to get your levels.

1 orange (a little bit bigger than a baseball) contains approx 62 calories, 130% of the daily recommended requirement of vitamin C, 3 grams of fiber and 170 phytonutrients.

I do agree with all of this however, it doesn't account for those of us who take other meds that deplete what we'd naturally be getting from foods, OR we are taking medicines that hinder the absorption of nutrients we SHOULD be getting from food.

A good example of what I'm talking about is vitamin D and calcium, and how they should be taken together. Another example is I would normally be getting plenty of calcium in my diet but due to stomach acid reducers I don't absorb what I take in through my foods, thus I pump quite a bit extra calcium on a daily basis.

Natural foods are indeed the best but there are sometimes problems that make getting all our nutrients through them.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
stargazer2892
Mouseketeer

I take a Prenatal and Calcium+D as prescribed by my OB still. Since we are planning on another child in the nearish future she wants to keep me on one to help replenish what DS depleted and taking Folic Acid before you get pregnant helps diminish the risk of any NT malformations. I will continue to take the Calicim+D pretty much as long as I am alive, my mom and my grandmother has osteoporosis and I do not ever want to have to deal with that so I figure I'd start early and make sure that I get the recommended amount no matter how I eat that day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: