Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
catchmeifyoucan
Earning My Ears

Can't wait to hear about your trip! I'm excited already!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
disneyhockeymad
˚o˚ ˚o˚ Sharing a Little Bit of Disney Happiness! ˚o˚ ˚o˚
Adores Toffee Crisps

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyergrad09 View Post
Hello! I'm joining in as well.

I like that at Frankie & Benny's they say on the menu that they can bring you your check when you order in case you're in a hurry. I always worry that I'll miss my boarding time if I go to a sit down restaurant at an airport!

That's a bummer that your flight was delayed so much, but when that happens to me, I always look at it as a good thing that they discovered whatever was broken BEFORE takeoff.

I've never flown on Virgin Airlines, but wow, talk about swanky! Those headrests look so comfy! And you actually got a meal on the plane! I mean, considering how long of a flight you had, it would be cruel to not have food. I can't even think of the last time I was on a flight that offered more than a bag of pretzels.

I can't wait to read more!
Haha yeah it makes things so much easier, we didnt have to worry about missing our flight at all! We did leave plenty of time though, for international flights we have to be there 3 hours before, so we have to kill the time some how!

I know, I would have much rather that they discovered it before then when we were flying, nightmare!

Haha it was really swanky, theyve upgraded their planes a lot since the last time I flew with them. The food wasnt too bad, much better than a bag of pretzels!! I much preferred the food they gave us just before we landed though, thatll be in my next instalment!

Im glad youre enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Oh man, that wait sounds awful! Planes can be so stressful, but thank goodness you didn't have to fly in a broken plane!
Agreed! Im glad they discovered it before we flew! I just wish it was at the Orlando end, I would have happily staying in Orlando for an extra 2 hours before flying back to London! I hated that it cut into our traditional DTD time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseyBun20 View Post
That's rubbish about the planes.. but at least you got there safe!! That's the main thing! That Virgin plane looks lush, we haven't flown with them in years because every time we did we were always delayed . However, I've looked at prices for them for next year.. Think I nearly had a heart attack . Why is everything so expensive?!

I'm jealous of how healthy you were at Breakfast in the Airport - Why can't I be like this?! I just love food far too much lol!
Yeah true, Im glad we were safe! I know, were not flying with Virgin again, it was only because we booked the holiday through Virgin holidays and we had no choice, our flight home was a whole other drama!

Yay for you having flights now soooo exciting! :D

Haha, well Im not a cooked breakfast fan so I have no choice but to be healthy! Plus I absolutely adore pineapple and there was pineapple in that fruit salad, I couldn't say no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeleton Jack View Post
I wish my flights were that awesome! Id even be happy with food! On board for this report!
Haha Im not going to lie, it was pretty good, although Ive had better on other Virgin flights! Glad youre on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchmeifyoucan View Post
Can't wait to hear about your trip! I'm excited already!
Thanks I cant wait to tell you all about it! I hope you enjoy it!

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Well you said you wanted to do things differently! A Sept 2012 TR
Just one last time... please? A Sept 2012 PTR
It's Alright I'm Still Alive! July 2008 TR

WDW offsite 2001 (April), DLRP Hotel Cheyenne 2001 (June), DLRP Davy Crockett Ranch 2002 (August), DLRP offsite 2003 (August), WDW offsite 2004 (April), DLRP offsite 2005 (August), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2005 (December), DLRP School Day Trip 2006 (May), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2006 (December), WDW offsite 2008 (July), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2009 (December) WDW offsite 2012 (September) WDW Kidani Village 2013 - our first DVC trip (December)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
disneyhockeymad
Adores Toffee Crisps

2. We're Here!

So when I left off I was seeing this

That meant we weren’t far off, which meant I was closer to WDW than I was to home – and that was absolutely fine by me!

As our menu predicted being this close meant that we were in line for yet more food. Greatly appreciated I will tell you, I was starving! Flights always make me so hungry!

Our hostesses came around handing us these brown boxes

On opening them, they contained these amazing goodies,

A cheese and red onion sandwich which I was absolutely in love with, it was so so tasty, I could have eaten so many of them – although then my breath would have seriously smelt!!

We also got a celebratory British cupcake which also tasted amazing. This meal was by far my favourite, I would have been happy to have this for lunch and dinner.

After that came the tea or coffee. I opted for coffee. By this time it was around 11pm UK time and I seriously needed a pick-me up! I am a little ashamed to admit I was slightly fascinated by the cup, it had ‘slurp’ written on it in every different language.

By this time I was bored. There are only so many hours I can sit still for, and 7 hours was pushing it.

I started to explore the plane and looked out the windows at the back, Dad came with me because he was just as bored and we discovered that we could see some Caribbean islands.

After possibly the longest hours of my life this flicked up on my screen and the captain put a PA out to tell us it was time to land.

I swear the Hallelujah chorus was playing in my head for the second time that day!

Unfortunately from here on in I lack all photos between landing and arriving at the hotel. It wasn’t that interesting if I’m honest, but I’ll try and elaborate!

We walked through arrivals, negotiated the RIDICULOUSLY long line at immigration, grabbed our luggage and made our way to the Alamo car rentals desk outside in the parking garage.

I love it when you walk outside at MCO, it’s almost as if a wave of heat just hits you and knocks you for six. It was 7pm and I was dying of heat, as much as I complained I loved it. The weather in the UK was the worst we’ve had all summer for decades so I appreciated sweating, I didn’t care, I loved it!

We picked up our paper work and walked up the rows of cars to choose ours. I voted immediately for a blue car, but understandably my dad went for the “gun metal” Toyota next to it because he drives a Toyota at home.

Once we crammed our stuff in we negotiated our way out, a little tentively at first given that dad hadn’t driven an automatic car for the last four years!

But we made it, we were out of the airport and on our way! Woohoo!

Then we got lost. And not just a little bit lost. Dramatically lost. We had no idea where we were. The signs we had been following suddenly disappeared, dad missed and exit and we found ourselves on a road, in the dark, going somewhere!

Mum and I frantically scrolled through a map and managed to navigate dad back to the hotel, but not before we lost yet another hour. It was 10pm by the time we finally got to our home for the next 2 weeks.

We were staying at the Lake Buena Vista Village Resort and Spa, a hotel that essentially has apartments. We loved it the last time we stayed, it was absolutely ideal.

When we booked the hotel we requested the same room as we had last time we stayed. From that room we saw all the WDW fireworks, it was incredible. However in the 4 years the hotel have clocked on to this and are now charging extra for that view so we were demoted to a pool view.

Not that I’m complaining, it was amazing! (The pictures of the view will be up in my next instalment!)

When we walked in we were greeted with this:

Mark and Mum unpacked and collapsed into bed, too tired to go anywhere but Dad and I quickly popped to Walmart to grab supplies for the morning, we were too excited to sleep. We debated heading down to DTD as we always normally do but we decided to get some sleep in preparation for our first park tomorrow.

I could not wait!

To be continued….

Lauraclaireh on twitter

WDW offsite 2001 (April), DLRP Hotel Cheyenne 2001 (June), DLRP Davy Crockett Ranch 2002 (August), DLRP offsite 2003 (August), WDW offsite 2004 (April), DLRP offsite 2005 (August), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2005 (December), DLRP School Day Trip 2006 (May), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2006 (December), WDW offsite 2008 (July), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2009 (December) WDW offsite 2012 (September) WDW Kidani Village 2013 - our first DVC trip (December)

Last edited by disneyhockeymad; 10-05-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
ChelseyBun20
Earning My Ears

Immigration is a pain isn't it at MCO. That's a plus of flying indirect, we get to do it at the Airport we stopover at instead of MCO.
Glad you found your way to your hotel in the end - my Dad would get lost all the time, this is why we don't hire a car .

OMG!!! Your apartment thingy is AMAZING, it's gorgeous!!! If I ever stay offsite again, I will defo be looking at there!

I'm so excited to hear about your 1st park day.. I bet I know how excited you were missy!!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #20
frankieeyre
Mouseketeer

So firstly WOOPEEE

But secondly, how did I miss two updates?! Uni takes my disney life away BOOOO!!
But now for a round up of three updates!!!

We go to Frankie and Bennys at the airport also!! Its just so yuummmyyy!! That porridge looks so good, definitely trying that next time!!!

Thats SO annoying about your plane!! Of all the timesyou want to get somewhere ASAP, it has to be Disney the plane would be dodgy! So glad you got another one though! Phew!!

Hello virgin updates! Those headrests look so nice and comfy!

I am not really a fan of plane food but that meal doesn't sound too bad!! The sandwich and the cupcake sounds better though!! Cupcake looks delicious!

WOOHOO for landing!! So exciting! SO many people get lost from the Airport, im so surprised they haven't done something about the signs!!

Love the swan towels! The bathroom looks sososo nice also! That bathtub is HUGE!

Excited to see you first park update!!! :D AHHHH!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #21
flyergrad09
Future Monorail Driver

That cupcake looks so good! Who would have thought, a cupcake on an airplane?!

Your suite looks awesome! And that tub is fantastic!

I don't blame you guys for not going to DTD! 11:30 PM in Orlando is what, 4:30 AM in England? Yeah, definitely bedtime!

Follow me on Twitter! @flyergrad09 Follow me on Instagram! @flyergrad09

I've been a Disney girl my entire life!
May 1987 - Offsite November 1990 - Offsite June 1998 - OKW December 2001/January 2002 - Offsite December 2003/January 2004 - Offsite December 2007/January 2008 - Offsite December 2009 - Offsite July 2010 - DISNEYLAND! December 2010 - Offsite December 2011 - ASMu May 2012 - ASMu
Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #22
disneyhockeymad
Adores Toffee Crisps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseyBun20 View Post
Immigration is a pain isn't it at MCO. That's a plus of flying indirect, we get to do it at the Airport we stopover at instead of MCO.
Glad you found your way to your hotel in the end - my Dad would get lost all the time, this is why we don't hire a car .

OMG!!! Your apartment thingy is AMAZING, it's gorgeous!!! If I ever stay offsite again, I will defo be looking at there!

I'm so excited to hear about your 1st park day.. I bet I know how excited you were missy!!
Sounds good, but it always freaks me out that they would lose my luggage if I do a stop over, I've heard too many horror stories (which are probably the minority!) it scares me too much!

Haha it's funny, everytime we've driven we've got to the hotel no problem, I think it was because it was dark and everything looks so different - that's his excuse anyways!

Thanks! I loved it! I'll be a little sad not to stay there again, it was lush. The space was incredible as well, such a good find :D

I know you're excited but stupid work has kept me so busy I've not been able to upload my pictures. I plan on doing that tonight so hopefully I can update

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieeyre View Post
So firstly WOOPEEE

But secondly, how did I miss two updates?! Uni takes my disney life away BOOOO!!
But now for a round up of three updates!!!

We go to Frankie and Bennys at the airport also!! Its just so yuummmyyy!! That porridge looks so good, definitely trying that next time!!!

Thats SO annoying about your plane!! Of all the timesyou want to get somewhere ASAP, it has to be Disney the plane would be dodgy! So glad you got another one though! Phew!!

Hello virgin updates! Those headrests look so nice and comfy!

I am not really a fan of plane food but that meal doesn't sound too bad!! The sandwich and the cupcake sounds better though!! Cupcake looks delicious!

WOOHOO for landing!! So exciting! SO many people get lost from the Airport, im so surprised they haven't done something about the signs!!

Love the swan towels! The bathroom looks sososo nice also! That bathtub is HUGE!

Excited to see you first park update!!! :D AHHHH!
I will never forgive you for missing two updates haha Uni does take your life away though so I understand!

Mmmm the porridge was soooo good. I think it was a new addition to the menu, I've never seen it before. I fell in love though (is that a bit weird?!) I have such an obsession with porridge, I can't function on a work day without it!!

I know right, stupid plane! I was not amused! I was actually having panic attacks we might not get there on the day we were supposed to! I nearly cried!

Yeah the food wasn't that bad! I'm an incredibly fussy eater but I actually didn't mind half that stuff at all, I'm still craving that cheese and onion sandwich, I can't quite work out how they made it though, it wasn't cream cheese but it wasn't normal cheese either! These are the things that cross my mind! The cupcake was incredible, I did try and steal my brother's but he wasn't having any of it!

Oh.my.gosh. that bath was incredible!! We never actually used it as a bath but mum and I put our feet in there after long park days and man was it heaven! Loved it! I'm excited too because DVC villas have the same baths! Woohoo!

First park update coming up :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyergrad09 View Post
That cupcake looks so good! Who would have thought, a cupcake on an airplane?!

Your suite looks awesome! And that tub is fantastic!

I don't blame you guys for not going to DTD! 11:30 PM in Orlando is what, 4:30 AM in England? Yeah, definitely bedtime!
The cupcake was amazing! It was the best end to that flight! I loved it, I'm actually drooling thinking of it! Lol!

Thanks, the tub was incredible! Mum and I would put our feet in it after a long day, so good!!

Yeah it was around 4.30am, we were so tired but so excited at the same time! I definitely slept so well that night though!

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #23
disneyhockeymad
Adores Toffee Crisps

3. Welcome to Hollywood!

After an amazing night's sleep seriously, anything is better than a plane seat - it was time for our first day in Disney. Wooohooo!

We all woke up stupidly early (about 5.30am) because of the time difference and when we decided it was acceptable to get out of bed around 6.30am we wandered into the living area and were greeted with this:

And we watched it until it did this:

And then this:

After watching that for about an hour we set about grabbing breakfast and generally killing two hours (dad and I went down to see our 'holiday rep' who tried to tell us all about Orlando before we stopped her to say we had been before - we only really went down to be polite!)

After what seemed like an absolute age of waiting we were finally ready in the car, and before long, I saw this:

Yup we were off to Hollywood Studios! Yay!!

We parked up in Stage and hopped on the tram to the front of the park. I'm pretty sure we could have just walked but hello, it's a disney tram, when am I not going to get on it?

Words probably can't express how excited I was to be setting foot inside a park again, after years of living vicariously through other people's TRs and keeping my eye on every WDW fan site I could I was finally here. I was back baby!

We waited a bit while dad went to withdraw some cash so we'd actually be able to buy things. Mum and Mark sat on a bench to wait but I basically just went happily skipping off somewhere to reacquaint myself, needless to say it didn't take long.

I did come across this beauty on my travels though, it's nice to know the UK has left some part of itself in DHS!

Once dad was done we made our way up a practically empty Hollywood Boulevard, seriously, this is how empty it was:

It is probably no surprise where we were headed. We needed to get some Toy Story back in our lives, specifically in the form of a certain rootin', tootin' cowboy (and space ranger) adventure!

Although we have the wii game of TSM at home, and have spent countless Christmases cracking up over just how lame with wii controllers, we were missing the real thing. Some how pressing the button on a control pad is not the same as flipping on those glasses and pulling a cord. Plus unless we want to look really stupid, you don't move on the wii version. All in all, we were missing the real thing.

I was expecting giant lines and late fastpasses. It was 10am after all. I had planned around that, but then, I swear I almost fainted. You Disers are lucky I had enough energy to snap these, otherwise I don't think you'd have believed me...

I kid you not. The ride was practically a walk on. We grabbed some fastpasses then decided to ride standby.

This is the line:

No kidding we were in and out by 10.20am. Ah-mazing.

I did, of course, take full advantage of the amazing emptiness of the ride, and the fact that Mr Potato Head was working for the first time since we had ridden back in 2008.

Mum, a huge Toy Story fan, was besides herself. As was I. Toy Story came out when I was about 5 and it was the first movie I really remember seeing with my mum (the next one I remember seeing is a Jungle Book re-run at some point with my grandparents, Disney was definitely the way forward) and mum and I have loved the film ever since. My brother adores it too, but he's definitely a Buzz Lightyear fanatic!

Anyway, here we are, far too excited for our own good!

And us with our glasses. I love this photo, I have one of us in the same place from 2008, it's amazing how much we've all aged!!

It was a pretty high scoring ride (well for my family) considering we were all very rusty it. Unfortunately my brother won, (conveniently I can't quite remember what he got) and I put my coming second down to the fact those 'balloons' bursting in my face took me by surprise every time!

Here's my score:

After we were done we headed to the Tower of Terror, which was also a walk on.

My dad and I love this ride but my brother and mum are still very unsure about it. The ride photo cracks me up because it shows just that, my brother looks petrified and my mum is trying to smile despite it all!

Now don't hate me but I remember it being much scarier than it was this time around. I don't know if it was because it was the first time I properly rode it last time I was there or whether it's because I find the version at Disneyland Paris absolutely petrifying, but either way, I was a little "eh" with this ride. Don't get me wrong, I still love it to pieces but the build up wasn't quite as good, maybe the CMs were having an off day or something?

After we were done with the Hollywood Tower Hotel (by the way I will never get over how amazing the merchandise is afterwards, I love that the sell hotel 'products' like towels and bathrobes, amazing!) we felt the need to sample some of WDW's incredible cake offerings, so we made a beeline straight for Starring Roles.

Let me just say, mmmmm. SO GOOD! As we walked in we were hit with that incerdible smell and immediately all settled on a cinnamon roll. They are my absolute favourite things in the whole world, I couldn't say no! I had however heard amazing things about the red velvet cupcake so mum and I decided to split a cinnamon roll and one of those between us.

Needless to say, it all tasted amazing! The cinnamon roll was perfect and my mouth is watering now just thinking about it, and the cupcake. Well the cupcake. It was incredible. So so big and so so good. I am ashamed to admit though I did get a little defeated by it, I had to leave some of my topping, but mum just could not stop eating it. I think it was her favourite thing all holiday, she would not stop raving on about it!

The cinnamon roll

The cupcake

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Old 10-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
disneyhockeymad
Adores Toffee Crisps

When we had digested all the amazing food it was time for our TSM fastpasses so we headed on over to play game number 2 of the holiday. All within an hour and a half of arriving at the park! This time I was back on form and won with a score of 129,000 something or other! I was a little more prepared for the shots of air in my face this time!

Then it was on to the Backlot Tour. I'm so disappointed with this now, it just seems to get emptier and emptier, it's such a shame, it used to be one of my favourite rides, unfortunately as soon as they axed the live CMs to guide you we kind of knew it would be going downhill.

That being said, I loved this time around, because this happened.

That's right, that's my dad and brother (sorry it's bad quality it's taken from the video I recorded). My dad put his hand in the air when the woman asked for volunteers thinking she had said who's having a good day, his face when he realised what he had volunteered for was too funny. My response - well you wanted to do things differently!

It was the most hilarious 10 minutes of the entire trip, I have never laughed so hard at my family. My brother just fitted right in, he is such a jokester so he played the role perfectly, apparently the CM who was dealing with them said she had to keep a "special eye" on my brother because she didn't trust he wouldn't jump in the pool! She also apparently loved him and tried to encourage him to come back to every showing to do it over and over! Everybody in the crowd loved them too, they were so animated, it was just so funny!

Here are some more pictures, and the video too because pictures can't do it justice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jiWT...ature=youtu.be

When that was done we joined the tram - which had conveniently waited for us as Dad and Mark dried off a bit - and got on with our tour!

I love that there were people working in here, we always seem to catch it when there aren't, made me very happy!

On the way out of the ride I came across possibly the best hat in history. I wish I had bought it now, but I know my friends here would not let me live it down if I did. I fell a little bit in love with it though, I adore Mike!

We did a bit of wandering through the Streets of America

and eventually ended up at Star Tours

To Be Continued (sorry I'm not very well at the moment so there is only so long I can stare at a screen until I feel too ill to function! There will be more soon I promise!)

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Last edited by disneyhockeymad; 10-12-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #25
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

TOY STORY MANIAAAAAA! Ahhhh I wish I had the wii game! Best ride ever (besides Splash of course)!!!

Even the pictures of your dad and brother are funny, I bet that was hilarious!!!

Edited to say: Oops, somehow I missed that link! Hahah, TOO funny!

Last edited by marDgreen88; 10-13-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
7165red
DIS Veteran

I'm in, and enjoying your TR, and the photos are great.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #27
flyergrad09
Future Monorail Driver

We have the Wii TSM game too (I bought it "for my Dad" but guess who actually plays it much more!) and I agree with you... it's a decent temporary substitute, but nothing compares to the real thing!

I seriously can't get over the shortness of the TSM line! Even when I've gone in the early December so-called less busy season, I've never seen it that short.

That video is so funny! My favorite part is the running around and screaming like little girls part.

Follow me on Twitter! @flyergrad09 Follow me on Instagram! @flyergrad09

I've been a Disney girl my entire life!
May 1987 - Offsite November 1990 - Offsite June 1998 - OKW December 2001/January 2002 - Offsite December 2003/January 2004 - Offsite December 2007/January 2008 - Offsite December 2009 - Offsite July 2010 - DISNEYLAND! December 2010 - Offsite December 2011 - ASMu May 2012 - ASMu
Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #28
frankieeyre
Mouseketeer

Hollywood studios!!!!
We always go there as our first park day! Its tradition!!!
Thats crazy that TSM was basically a walk on!! LOVE it!
THAT CUPCAKE LOOKS DIVINE! Im definitely going to try one!!
The DLP ToT scares the daylights out of me too! I think the HS one is less frightening too for sure!
Honestly I laughed so hard at your video, your brother is hilarious!!
I love that they got so into it, makes it so much funnier for everyone else!!

Cannot wait to read more!! Update ASAP!!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #29
luckylady
DIS Veteran

OMG the video of your dad and brother is to funny. TSM love it glad the wait time was short and then FP prime. Great pictures. What a great place you all got to stay at. Might have to look into it. I hope your feeling better by now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: