Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
mmackeymouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
We moved to our town 5 years ago. There is a nice local diner nearby that we love to go to. They do carry out orders. One time, when DD was sick and we couldn't go eat in, DH went to put in a carry out order...he actually went there to put in the order as they are 2 minutes from our house. We wanted 3 adult meals and 2 kid meals and they told DH that they don't do carry out on kid meals. He left and went to Friendlys and ordered similar meals (including 2 kid meals that came with ice creams). DH would not let us go back to that diner for a couple years. Now that our DDs eat off the adult menu, we go and DH seems to be over his annoyance with this place. It's one of my fave local places to go to (they are Greek owned and have some yummy Gyros).
Same thing here! We have a local Pizza/Italian joint. I would always order (for pick up) a child's entree. There is really no difference in a child and adult meal other than the portion size is much smaller, which was why I chose it....for portion control.

Well, one time I called, and they said they don't do children's meals "to go" anymore. This I do not understand. It is a smaller meal for a smaller price. What do they lose by selling the child's meal? I know that technically the children's menu is for 12 and under only. But, if I am an adult and want a child-size portion of ravioli, who does it hurt? I even explained to them that I watch what I eat, my calories and what not, and the reason I am ordering a child's meal is because I prefer a smaller portion. They went so far as to tell me they can give me the child's portion no problem, but they would still have to charge the adult price! Can you believe it? My jaw dropped. Anyway, I don't carry a grudge against them persay, but honestly, we do go there a lot less than we used to.

Another story: one of my favorite local restaurants....I noticed twice in a row had overcharged me for my meal. It was miniscule, so I thought nothing of it. I then found out that they do it to everybody; it is a little trick of theirs. They overcharge by a very minor amount, so small that some people may not even notice it or even if they do, it is so small that very few people would ever actually bring it up. However, if they do this to every customer every day over the course of the year, it really adds up. When I found out it was done on purpose, I was so angry....I didn't go there for almost 2 years!

Listen, I never claimed that it wasn't their right to have their own take-out rules. I absolutely believe it is their right, just as it is my right to complain about it and take my business to other restaurants that make it easier for me to order and pick it up. I guess I am frustrated, because at my place of employment, and all of us here have experienced it at Disney I'm sure, it is drilled into our brains, "Customer service, customer service, customer service" And it just seems to me that not offering something convenient to the diners is not very customer service friendly.

PS: they do not take credit cards, even in person.....so that would not really help in this situation.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #32
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran

Weird... well I probably wouldn't order from there. I would think they could do something where the first time you go you set up an "account" with a credit card and then if you don't pick up future (phoned in) orders they would charge you anyways. But yeah I wouldn't drive there to order something to-go and wait. The only exception would be if it was on the way home from work and I sat and had a drink at the bar.
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #33
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmackeymouse View Post
Same thing here! We have a local Pizza/Italian joint. I would always order (for pick up) a child's entree. There is really no difference in a child and adult meal other than the portion size is much smaller, which was why I chose it....for portion control.

Well, one time I called, and they said they don't do children's meals "to go" anymore. This I do not understand. It is a smaller meal for a smaller price. What do they lose by selling the child's meal? I know that technically the children's menu is for 12 and under only. But, if I am an adult and want a child-size portion of ravioli, who does it hurt? I even explained to them that I watch what I eat, my calories and what not, and the reason I am ordering a child's meal is because I prefer a smaller portion. They went so far as to tell me they can give me the child's portion no problem, but they would still have to charge the adult price! Can you believe it? My jaw dropped. Anyway, I don't carry a grudge against them persay, but honestly, we do go there a lot less than we used to.

PS: they do not take credit cards, even in person.....so that would not really help in this situation.
Really? I don't understand how you cannot understand that a business would need to stick to their rules of children's meals for children?

Who is it hurting? It is hurting them. They do not make a lot of money, if any on children's meals. Children's meals are typically sold with an adult meal, so they are still covering their overhead. If they started serving Children's Meals for adults regularly, they would be going out of business.

Everything you have stated about this restaurant seems logical and reasonable and well within their rights to enforce.

Nothing to get steamed over, especially not letting an adult order a child's meal.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #34
akhenaten
Lucky for husband, the neighbors can't hear
My fav ride was the kidddie whip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
Really? I don't understand how you cannot understand that a business would need to stick to their rules of children's meals for children?

Who is it hurting? It is hurting them. They do not make a lot of money, if any on children's meals. Children's meals are typically sold with an adult meal, so they are still covering their overhead. If they started serving Children's Meals for adults regularly, they would be going out of business.

Everything you have stated about this restaurant seems logical and reasonable and well within their rights to enforce.

Nothing to get steamed over, especially not letting an adult order a child's meal.
Yes.....customer service is important but not if you cannot make a profit. Portions are too big sometimes, but if you are taking it home Tupperware works ..and you have a second meal. Op you said It yourself first world problems...no need to get so upset...

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
CBR 1991Dixie landings 1996 CBR july 2004
POR Riverside July 2011
akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #35
mmackeymouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Disney has always been more than understanding when it comes to adults who want to order child's portions. Other restaurants seem to be too. Especially if it is for portion control reasons or for people that have had gastric bypass and can only eat very small amounts. Besides, when you call in a big order and you want to order a child's meal, how do they know it isn't for a child? If you go to Wendy's and order a kids meal.....even though it is for kids 10 and under or whatever, they don't ask for proof of a child.

And yes, many times, I just have to order the adult portion and save the rest. But, sometimes, the particular item is just no good reheated, or I know I won't eat it and it will go to waste. Again, it is THEIR business. But to me, it seems silly to get rid of children to-go items altogether for the many families that want to order meals for their children, because of the very few adults that just want a smaller meal.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #36
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Disney has always been more than understanding when it comes to adults who want to order child's portions. Other restaurants seem to be too. Especially if it is for portion control reasons or for people that have had gastric bypass and can only eat very small amounts. Besides, when you call in a big order and you want to order a child's meal, how do they know it isn't for a child? If you go to Wendy's and order a kids meal.....even though it is for kids 10 and under or whatever, they don't ask for proof of a child.

And yes, many times, I just have to order the adult portion and save the rest. But, sometimes, the particular item is just no good reheated, or I know I won't eat it and it will go to waste. Again, it is THEIR business. But to me, it seems silly to get rid of children to-go items altogether for the many families that want to order meals for their children, because of the very few adults that just want a smaller meal.
Disney and Wendy's are a bit bigger and can swallow the lessened profit a bit better than a Mom and Pop shop.

No reason to be steamed. Just order somewhere else where your demands can be met.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #37
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

I would get annoyed. Lots of people surely will now not bother to go to that restaurant since there are many others that DO take reservations. They will lose out on lots of business I think.

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #38
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmackeymouse
Well, one time I called, and they said they don't do children's meals "to go" anymore. This I do not understand. It is a smaller meal for a smaller price. What do they lose by selling the child's meal?
It takes the same amount of energy, the same utility costs, the same wages, etc., to prepare the child portion as the adult portion. Only the actual food cost is less - and of course, the price the customer pays is (usually substantially) less than for an adult portion.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #39
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
It takes the same amount of energy, the same utility costs, the same wages, etc., to prepare the child portion as the adult portion. Only the actual food cost is less - and of course, the price the customer pays is (usually substantially) less than for an adult portion.
So, following that logic, if you order the higher end meal, are you more worthy of service? If the cost of the food is such a small portion of the price of a meal?
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #40
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
So, following that logic, if you order the higher end meal, are you more worthy of service? If the cost of the food is such a small portion of the price of a meal?
Worthy is an inflammatory term. We were just explaining why a single-store restaurant would/might have a policy prohibiting child to-go meals except at adult prices: they need to sell their product at a profit.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #41
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Another story: one of my favorite local restaurants....I noticed twice in a row had overcharged me for my meal. It was miniscule, so I thought nothing of it. I then found out that they do it to everybody; it is a little trick of theirs. They overcharge by a very minor amount, so small that some people may not even notice it or even if they do, it is so small that very few people would ever actually bring it up. However, if they do this to every customer every day over the course of the year, it really adds up. When I found out it was done on purpose, I was so angry....I didn't go there for almost 2 years!
I noticed this too, at a restaurant I loved to get deliveries from. I actually had the most recent menu at home, so I knew the price of the items. When I called about my bill, the woman asked, "Umm, are you ordering from a hotel or from an apartment building?" I said apartment building, but thought what the heck did that matter?

It turns out that if they thought that a guest in one of the several hotels in the neighborhood was ordering, or that we didn't have the actual menu to compare the prices, that they could tack on a couple dollars more on each bill. They did this to me twice, before I stopped buying from there.

The restaurant went out of business a couple years ago.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #42
mmackeymouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
I completely understand that. But, it is also silly to expect someone to pay more for less food, just because of their age, don't you think?

Also, why put the Kids' Meals on their take-out menu then if they are not going to allow it to be ordered? Don't you think there are vastly more people ordering kids meals to go for actual children than there are adults watching their portions and ordering kids meals? So, they are really going to go to the extreme of nixing take-out kids meals altogether for the small percentage of adults who order kids meals? It just seems like an extreme measure to me.

I just don't see this as adults taking advantage. It is not like they are ordering the same amount of food as an adult would get and telling them it is a child for a lower price. They are people who for whatever reason want a smaller portion. Sure, it may not create a huge profit for them, but they are surely at least breaking even, and for customer service purposes, wouldn't they give people the benefit of the doubt?

I just see it as a bad business decision. For our family for example, instead of going there every 3-4 weeks as we used to.....now it is more like every 6 weeks. So, we are going about 5 or 6 fewer times per year. For a difference of $5 per meal, they are missing out on a $30 check 5 or 6 times per year. And they wouldn't be losing money by offering the kids meals; they just aren't profiting a large amount.

Our motto at our office is "Give em the pickle" derived from this principle:
http://www.giveemthepickle.com/pickle_principle.htm
Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #43
kaytieeldr

Quote:
I completely understand that. But, it is also silly to expect someone to pay more for less food, just because of their age, don't you think?
I honestly don't. A child's meal is similar to a supermarket loss leader. Especially when there's a like item on the adult menu, the restaurant is shooting itself in the foot when it sells a child portion to an adult at the child price.

Quote:
Also, why put the Kids' Meals on their take-out menu then if they are not going to allow it to be ordered?
Maybe they haven't had a chance (or haven't been able to afford) to get the menus reprinted. Or maybe they do allow child meal take-out in conjunction with adult meals.
Quote:
Don't you think there are vastly more people ordering kids meals to go for actual children than there are adults watching their portions and ordering kids meals?
That's not the restaurant's concern. They have their policies - likely based on a combination of wanting to provide good/great service, keep customers coming back, and operate at a profit.

Quote:
And they wouldn't be losing money by offering the kids meals; they just aren't profiting a large amount.
Respectfully, you don't know that. You don't know their operating costs or their profit margin.

Quote:
Our motto at our office is "Give em the pickle" derived from this principle:
Which is great - but you're not asking for the pickle. They made a business decision and you want them to make an exception for you because you don't like the options available: pay the adult price for a child meal and get the exact portion you want; or pay the adult price for an adult meal and get the value.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #44
disykat
DIS Veteran

I've been dying to ask, and after reading this whole thread I still don't know the answer. What does the phrase "first world problems" mean?

Is it a way of tongue in cheek letting us know that this isn't a life threatening problem, just kind of "why doesn't everything go my way" thing? Or does it mean the OP thinks this is a really serious problem?

I assumed it was the former, but after reading the thread I'm starting to think it means the latter.

Last edited by disykat; 09-30-2012 at 09:45 PM.
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #45
hj0519
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
I've been dying to ask, and after reading this whole thread I still don't know the answer. What does the phrase "first world problems" mean?

Is it a way of tongue in cheek letting us know that this isn't a life threatening problem, just kind of "why doesn't everything go my way" thing? Or does it mean the OP thinks this is a really serious problem?

I assumed it was the former, but now think it means the latter.
Your first assumption was right, it's the former...at least to me, anyways.
hj0519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: