Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #76
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan2kids
I disagree. You don't "have" to pay Disney for your food. There are other options - in room dining (kitchenette), offsite, etc.)
yes true. but you do have to eat and pay for food regardless. so no matter, what you're spending money on food. for us, we are only interested in Disney restaurants. i don't like to cook/prepare meals on vacation. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfan2kids
It's not free IMO. I'd rather spend $120 per night on the room...and spend my $80 discount the way I want (souvenirs/QS/Drinks/etc.) Then spend $200 and tell myself I got "free dining." It's not free if you paid for it.
that's your preference. just because you prefer it that way it doesn't mean its not free.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #77
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

For many of us Free Dining means the food is free and the room is full priced. If that room is a value or moderate and we have a family, that free food that we get with a rack rate room is our best discount.

We stay moderate. Originally I had a room only discount and it saved me around $600 for our ten nights. When free dining was offered I jumped on it. Because even though my room went up by $600 there is NO way, we could eat, the four of us (kids are 16 and 17) for $600 for ten days. It would take more than a TIW card to equal my savings on Free Dining. And I know because I had the TIW (back when it was the DDE and when it was TIW) for quite a few years.

In about four years dh and I will be empty nesters and I predict we'll go back to having AP's and a TIW card. For now, its Free Dining all the way and praise heaven its been offered for three of our last four trips!

I cannot speak for every man, woman and child that gets free dining, but this woman knows quite well how Disney discounts work and fd is the end all be all for us. It saves us more even than the four/three deal back in 2009.

Back to the original question of "is the DDP killing DIsney" is that for many of us, we feel its not. There are many things into play as to why dining at Disney isn't the same way it used to be. The DDP might be one of them but as far as "killing" anything, I again beg to differ.

Disney as a whole (cruise, World, Land, Channel, Store, motion pictures etc) hasn't survived this long and done this well because somebody in charge would "kill" anything with one plan or feature.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #78
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy&Dan
For many of us Free Dining means the food is free and the room is full priced. If that room is a value or moderate and we have a family, that free food that we get with a rack rate room is our best discount.

We stay moderate. Originally I had a room only discount and it saved me around $600 for our ten nights. When free dining was offered I jumped on it. Because even though my room went up by $600 there is NO way, we could eat, the four of us (kids are 16 and 17) for $600 for ten days. It would take more than a TIW card to equal my savings on Free Dining. And I know because I had the TIW (back when it was the DDE and when it was TIW) for quite a few years.

In about four years dh and I will be empty nesters and I predict we'll go back to having AP's and a TIW card. For now, its Free Dining all the way and praise heaven its been offered for three of our last four trips!
this is exactly what i was trying to say.

also, if paying out of pocket for food and getting the room discount works for you then that's great. but don't tell me that free dining isn't free etc etc. i did the math. i know this is the best deal for us particularly since we stay at values most of the time. and also i don't like making my own meals on vacation.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #79
arissavolk
Earning My Ears

I always felt like the deluxe plan was worth it for us because we like planning sit-down meals and the resort hotel restaurants and the signature dining places have more options for people like me with food allergies. We don't eat at fancy establishments as much at home as we do at Disney. In fact, the last time we ate at a nice restaurant at home, the bill was nearly $200 before tip. Often our bill pre-dining plan at the signature restaurants is $120-150 before tip at Disney, even with a third person joining us, so it's a plus in our book.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #80
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Killing Disney? No. Becoming the equivalent of a chain restaurant? Yes.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #81
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hattered View Post
But that is not because of the dining plan, or even because of free dining.

The dining plan is a symptom, not a cause.

And free dining is a package discount, just like a room discount or a kids stay free discount. It is a resort discount, not a restaurant discount. The restaurants are paid the same no matter what; the cost for free dining comes out of the resort's profit center.

It's just a decision to make on whether it's the best discount for your party.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #82
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hattered View Post
It is easy to blame the DDP for the changes that we have experienced within Disney. We really have no idea if the DDP is the root cause of the perceived decline in Disney Dining or if it was designed in order to keep Disney Dining to a higher standard. we do know that Disney has worked very hard to answer their guests need to allow some sort of all inclusive resort stay and they have used the DDP along with Magical Express to ensure that they do have a captive audience once those guests step into WDW.

Management in every business redesign their marketing strategy in order to maintain some sort of profit margin and while some assume that Disney reduced their menu selections to accommodate their DDP it can also be assumed that the changes were made in spite of it.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #83
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

If it was killing Disney, it wouldn't be offered.

You can stay at a MOD resort during a Value season and eat TS Free if you're able to make plans on short notice. Put 4 persons in a room that EAT and it's very, very cost effective.

It doesn't work out that way for everyone, but it sure does for some!!!
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip DEC 2013 POP/Caribbean Beach Resort I have to wait until 2015!
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #84
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
It's not killing Disney itself, just the dining experience
Add another one agreeing w/ this.

I'm so sick to my stomach I didn't get the TiW card this Jan. when we knew we were coming back in October. I had no idea how many places it would save is money. DUHO! We had eaten at Cape May for dinner, CG and Shula's just to name a few and the discounts there alone would have paid for it. grumble grumble

Last edited by ppony; 10-05-2012 at 11:14 PM.
ppony is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: