Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #31
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveToRun View Post
Please for the love of Disney, stop saying "literally" in every sentence! Especially when you use it incorrectly 99% of the time.

AHHH!!!

Thanks.
why? why does it bother you? it's an internet forum, not a thesis paper or a resumer
Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #32
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
"You keep on saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #33
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to literally die."
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Absolutely. I absolutely understand what you're absolutely saying here. Absolutely.

Me? I don't overuse any words, as far as I know.

I bet you are absolutely related to the Anthony's.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #35
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
"You keep on saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
This literally made me laugh out loud!
Pop Century (11/07), All-Star Movies (10/08), Port Orleans- Riverside (6/09), Coronado Springs (10/09), Boardwalk Villas (11/10), Boardwalk Inn (4/11), Port Orleans- Riverside/Polynesian (10/11), Grand Floridian (3/12), DisneyLand Hotel (12/12), Disney Magic (3/13), ** AP**Wilderness Lodge (7/13), POR (7/13), POFQ (8/13), SOG (8/13)
CajunMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #36
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Misuse of literally doesn't really bother me so much as it just makes me roll my eyes or shake my head. 'Epic' has been bothering me lately though.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #37
StephyDee
One day the tag fairy will pity me enough to give me an awesome tag. Until then?.....BACON AND DUCKS! >:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to literally die."

This is such an awesome thread. Doesn't hurt that the "Princess Bride" reference connects with the shirt I'm wearing. It's actually a "PB" shirt, believe it or not.

As for using the word 'literally', I hear it used in the wrong context so often at work, that I have to keep reminding myself how to correctly use it. Otherwise I'd be just as bad as them.

My Ultimate Dream: To see Walt Disney World during Christmas time...and not worry about how much it costs to reach that dream...*sigh*
StephyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #38
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyDee View Post

This is such an awesome thread. Doesn't hurt that the "Princess Bride" reference connects with the shirt I'm wearing. It's actually a "PB" shirt, believe it or not.

As for using the word 'literally', I hear it used in the wrong context so often at work, that I have to keep reminding myself how to correctly use it. Otherwise I'd be just as bad as them.
Is it the nametag shirt? That is DH's second most commented shirt.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #39
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
why? why does it bother you? it's an internet forum, not a thesis paper or a resumer
Despite referencing Disney, I'm 100% certain the OP was posting a general vent at everyone who misuses the word - not just DIS posters.

But since you brought up the "this is just a message board" argument... People who use that word wrong informally use it wrong formally, too. People don't just change their understanding and usage of a particular word based on the seriousness of the discussion or document.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #40
Rylee
DIS Veteran

The Word We Love To Hate

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/t...e_to_hate.html

As is often the case, though, such "abuses" have a long and esteemed history in English. The ground was not especially sticky in Little Women when Louisa May Alcott wrote that "the land literally flowed with milk and honey,"nor was Tom Sawyer turning somersaults on piles of money when Twain described him as "literally rolling in wealth," nor was Jay Gatsby shining when Fitzgerald wrote that "he literally glowed," nor were Bach and Beethoven squeezed into a fedora when Joyce wrote in Ulysses that a Mozart piece was "the acme of first class music as such, literally knocking everything else into a cocked hat." Such examples are easily come by, even in the works of the authors we are often told to emulate.

Eventually, though, literally began to be used to intensify statements that were themselves figurative or metaphorical. The earliest examples I know of are from the late 18th century, and though there are examples throughout the 19th century—often in prominent works; to my earlier examples could be added choice quotations from James Fenimore Cooper, Thackeray, Dickens, and Thoreau, among many others—no one seems to have objected to the usage until the early 20th century.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #41
StephyDee
One day the tag fairy will pity me enough to give me an awesome tag. Until then?.....BACON AND DUCKS! >:D

Quote:
Is it the nametag shirt? That is DH's second most commented shirt.
lol No, although now I want to google that shirt.

The shirt I'm referencing to is this one: http://shirt.woot.com/offers/as-you-wish

Sadly it's now sold out, but I almost squeaked out loud when I saw it for the first time. Twas the first shirt I saw referencing the movie in a 'not so obvious' way.

edit: just googled the nametag shirt. I kinda really need to have that now. XD

My Ultimate Dream: To see Walt Disney World during Christmas time...and not worry about how much it costs to reach that dream...*sigh*
StephyDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: