Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Insurance for room only?

Can you add insurance to a room only reservation? Do you go through Disney or someplace else for insurance?
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
QueenElinor
Yes, they really ARE all redheads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
Can you add insurance to a room only reservation? Do you go through Disney or someplace else for insurance?
Just wondering, why would you insure a room-only reservation?
You can cancel it for any reason five days in advance, the odds of something coming up in those five days are slim. That's one of the advantages of not getting a package, IMHO. But, I don't know your circumstances so feel free to ignore my opinion on that.

I would strongly recommend that you check InsureMyTrip, though. You'll get better coverage at lower cost than going through Disney because you can pick the plan that suits you. Be absolutely sure to read the fine print and meet the deadlines. With most of these plans you can also add things like airfare, prepaid car rentals, or nonrefundable tickets to Cirque deSoleil- which you might as well do if you buy the insurance.

Also, Capital One has a World Mastercard that has free trip insurance as a perk.

In general, I don't insure a trip unless it's really expensive, non-refundable, and reserved far in advance (like a cruise). The reason why is that insurance is a giant money-making scheme. I'm saving a lot of money over my lifetime by not buying trip insurance- probably a lot more than I would ever lose on a trip.

Also, a good rule of thumb is that insurance should be less than 10% of the trip cost. By looking carefully at plans and only buying what I need, I kept the insurance on my trip to Europe last year down to about 5%. I didn't use it, of course- but what I was buying was peace of mind, and I did get that!

Last edited by QueenElinor; 09-28-2012 at 05:54 PM.
QueenElinor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Blizzards, sickness, death in family, having to leave early to come home for emergency etc. I know someone who got insurance through Disney and it covered them ( lost money on hotel, tickets and flight change fee) leaving a day early due to a sudden death in the family. I think insurance for our package last year was under $200. Will need to think about this. Thanks for your info. Good to know! I still have time!!!!
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
QueenElinor
Yes, they really ARE all redheads!

I have an accountant friend who NEVER insures his trips. His logic is that whether you go on vacation or are forced to stay home, you lose the same amount of money. In, fact, you lose LESS if you don't go. He says insurance is to prevent financial loss, as in the case of homeowner's or health insurance where you could actually go bankrupt if you're not insured.

That's kind of a soul-crushing view of vacation, but I guess there is some logic to it, in an Ebenezer Scrooge sort of way.

Good luck on your trip, and I hope you don't need that insurance!

Last edited by QueenElinor; 09-28-2012 at 09:22 PM.
QueenElinor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: