Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
onemaybaby
Mouseketeer

Do most people do excursions?

Since I've never been on a cruise before, I am unsure as to what expect on the days when the ship visits the different ports. Do most people do excursions? stay on the boat? Is the boat just docked in the middle of nowhere so you pretty much have to do an excursion?
These probably seem like such silly questions, but I honestly have no idea.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

It depends on the port and the make up of the guests on the ship. Some cruise to enjoy the ports and some cruise to enjoy the ship and all it has to offer.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

yes...don't want to be sitting on the ship all week....unless you want to tour the island/stop by yourself or take a cab to a beach by yourself- some people prefer that...
Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

It depends a lot on the ports too. In some ports it is very easy to go off on your own or to book something independently. At other ports, that is more difficult.

Doing an excursion thru DCL is easy and as safe as anything can be--while crime exists everywhere, the ship won't leave without a DCL tour group. If you go off on your own, the ship won't wait for you if you are not back by "all aboard" time. Some ports have beaches near the port; others are at least a taxi ride away. Some have shopping at the port; others require transportation.

If you don't book in advance, there will be many vendors at the ports trying to get your business, but you don't have the advantage of checking them out on line.

What I found was that the first time in a new port, I might tend to choose a DCL excursion; after I knew the port a little I was much more comfortable going off on my own. And on our last cruise, we did it specifically to enjoy the ship and we didn't get off.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
D-Dreamer
Earning My Ears

We have done excursions on every cruise.

November 2012: Disney Dream
March 2012: Disney Magic
March 2011: Disney Dream
August 2010: Disney Wonder
September 2009: Disney Wonder
D-Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

We never do them. We feel safe in all ports. Way over priced and have to wait on people. Rent a car in some ports like Cozumel go swim with the manatees.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
becpee
I see sock puppets

We've just completed our first cruise and didn't book any excursions, and I found there was a lot more people than I thought that didn't do any as well.

We got off the ship, had a bit of a look around the port, did the "mandatory" tourist shopping then returned to the ship, the ship was much nicer than the ports (my opinion only )

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
anc876
Mouseketeer

We didn't book any excursions, but we went out and did our own thing. At one port, we happily stayed on the ship because we wanted to take it easy and didn't have any interest in what that particular port offered.
anc876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
quickcat
Mouseketeer

We love going on excursions. We, 99% of the time, do the excursions offered thru Disney, yes they are expensive but I like having everything already set up. Seeing other places is always interesting to me.
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
rcchello
DIS Veteran

Most people do not do the excursions. We have done only done one while going on five cruises.There are several websites where you can look up each ports and figure out what are the must see things for you - Cruise critic, budget travel, etc.

Then you can determine if you can see the sites on your own or go on an organized tour. If you decide on a tour you can search here to see how people enjoyed the Disney tour or whether an independent one might work better.

Also, if you are not adventurous it might be better to go on a tour since I have seen many people who are afraid to go more than two blocks from the ship. The only thing within a couple of blocks of the ship is usually a chain restaurant and people hawking tourist goods.

Good luck on your travels.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Fantasy Eastern

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Cheerio
Welcomed Guest
Has adorable photos in her signature...

We didn't do any excursions, just got off the ship, explored and right back on
Disney Fantasy February 2014 - Trip Report (in progress)

Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
zacaronius
Earning My Ears

Depends on the port and what is offered. We always at least get off of the ship at each port, wander around for a bit if we dont have an excursion booked. When we did the Mexican Riviera cruise earlier this year we didn't book any excursions with Disney. In Puerto Vallarta we took a tour with one of the "Government sponsored" guides that was allowed within the port itself. In Cabo we didn't have anything planned, just expolored, and ended up taking a water taxi to Lovers Beach. Ended up being less expensive than booking with Disney and was alot more fun!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
chateau
DIS Veteran

We went to Sammy Hagar's bar in Cabo.... excellent!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

In Alaska I do plan on doing the Deadliest Catch tour and doing several rental cars. Alaska is very expensive on those.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We didn't do any on our last cruise and I'm not sure we will do any on our next cruise. I enjoy getting off the ship and doing our own thing in port at our leisure. We would usually spend a few hours sightseeing and shopping then be ready to get back onboard.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: