Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!

Got our Feb gty room assigned tonight

I know people like to hear about these things - booked a 7A gty about 3 months ago. I actually have been applying a couple hundred bucks here and there. Tonight I brought it down to $1000 owing, got a room assigned sometime in the last 6 hours.
We go a 7A 7170 assigned- I was so hoping for an upgrade or to be on the other (castaway cay) side of the ship, but not unhappy We are right across from elevators which I love
We sail In Feb 2012.

Sept 2015 - Disney Wonder Hawaii
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Dec 2013 - Disneyland
May 2013 -Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean
March 2013 -AKL Jambo Studio & AKL Jambo Concierge, & POR Princess Room
March 2012 -Disney Wonder Mexico
March 2012 - Disneyland
May 2011 - Disney Wonder Alaska
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
Sept 1994 - All Star Sports
April 1977 -Contemporary

Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Canadacrew
Earning My Ears

What cruise in Feb. Just went to check my reservation (5E GTY) and nothing yet. We are the Bahamas on the 3rd.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I thought GTYs were always last minute? How far out do they offer those?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

A gty assignment may be made any time that the booked category opens up--as in when someone else cancels, upgrades, or downgrades a reservation causing a room number to become available.

Above poster--you are not seeing the difference between a GTY and a VGT/OGT/IGT booking. OP booked a GTY reservation. She booked a 7A GTY, paying full price for a cat 7A. These may be available any time DCL has sold all or most of that category and is just like a regular reservation except that you don't select a cabin number. You do have an increased chance of an upgrade.

The IGT/OGT/VGT are restricted rates, sold at a discount and typically offered after the penalty date (but MAY be offered before).
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I thought GTYs were always last minute? How far out do they offer those?
You are confusing a regular GTY with a last minute discounted IGT, OGT, VGT.

check out this thread for an explanation of the difference between the two types of GTYs.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914256

And my blurb on them:

It is confusing because DCL has two types of guarantees.

One is a regular GTY which means that DCL has sold a certain percentage of cabins in a particular category. If you want to book that category you will have to book it at GTY status meaning you can't be assigned a specific stateroom when you book. You will be assigned a stateroom in the category you booked or possibly a higher category...never a lower category. You will get your cabin assignment at anytime prior to your cruise...usually 45-30 days before sailing but could be soon after booking. A GTY price is the same as an assigned price...no discount just because the category is in GTY status.

IGT, OGT, VGT are discounted categories with very low rates that DCL offers on some cruises that may not be selling as well as they hoped or if they are just trying to fill a ship. They are offered usually after the 75 day PIF date. They are greatly discounted, but come with many restrictions....no name changes, no location choices, no cancelling, no moving dates, no anything. The tradeoff is a great price as long as you don't need to make any changes and are willing to be assigned anywhere DCL puts you. It could be a higher category or it could be what you booked. You don't get your cabin assignment until about 14-0 days before your cruise.

These rates are meant to be last minute rates and that is why they are usually offered after the PIF date. They are for new bookings only. You can't switch a current rate for one of the discounted rates unless you completely cancel your regular rate cabin and take a hit with a penalty. But, sometimes people still save money when they cancel with penalty and book the cheaper *GT categories.

Hope this helps.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:

check out this thread for an explanation of the difference between the two types of GTYs.
Thanks for the explanation. That clears it up for me.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914256

And my blurb on them:

It is confusing because DCL has two types of guarantees.

One is a regular GTY which means that DCL has sold a certain percentage of cabins in a particular category. If you want to book that category you will have to book it at GTY status meaning you can't be assigned a specific stateroom when you book. You will be assigned a stateroom in the category you booked or possibly a higher category...never a lower category. You will get your cabin assignment at anytime prior to your cruise...usually 45-30 days before sailing but could be soon after booking. A GTY price is the same as an assigned price...no discount just because the category is in GTY status.

IGT, OGT, VGT are discounted categories with very low rates that DCL offers on some cruises that may not be selling as well as they hoped or if they are just trying to fill a ship. They are offered usually after the 75 day PIF date. They are greatly discounted, but come with many restrictions....no name changes, no location choices, no cancelling, no moving dates, no anything. The tradeoff is a great price as long as you don't need to make any changes and are willing to be assigned anywhere DCL puts you. It could be a higher category or it could be what you booked. You don't get your cabin assignment until about 14-0 days before your cruise.

These rates are meant to be last minute rates and that is why they are usually offered after the PIF date. They are for new bookings only. You can't switch a current rate for one of the discounted rates unless you completely cancel your regular rate cabin and take a hit with a penalty. But, sometimes people still save money when they cancel with penalty and book the cheaper *GT categories.

Hope this helps.

MJ

does anyone know if you're booking with DVC points, do they lower the points requirement to reflect the discount in cash price?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Thanks for the explanation. That clears it up for me.
you are welcome!! I know it is confusing!!! The IGT, OGT and VGT are relatively new to DCL. They just started offering these last year.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Douvres Family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
I know people like to hear about these things - booked a 7A gty about 3 months ago. I actually have been applying a couple hundred bucks here and there. Tonight I brought it down to $1000 owing, got a room assigned sometime in the last 6 hours.
We go a 7A 7170 assigned- I was so hoping for an upgrade or to be on the other (castaway cay) side of the ship, but not unhappy We are right across from elevators which I love
We sail In Feb 2012.
We are sailing Feb 17 on the Dream to the Bahams...5E GTY...nothing yet...but I'm so happy to hear about your room!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadacrew View Post
What cruise in Feb. Just went to check my reservation (5E GTY) and nothing yet. We are the Bahamas on the 3rd.

WDW 1976, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999...Puerto Rico 2000...WDW 2001, 2002...DCL Wonder 2003...Mayan Riviera MX 2007 & 2008...WDW 2009, 2010, DCL Dream 2012, DCL Dream 2013, Mayan Riviera 2013
Douvres Family is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: