Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Make ahead and freeze

Any recipes you make ahead and freeze? Any tips on freezing to avoid freezer burn? I have not had a lot of luck with freezing, but we have had a lot of stuff not appear edible when taking out of the freezer due to freezer burn on top. With me working nights and my husband getting home late most nights, we have been relying on quick and easy (unhealthy) frozen stuff. I would prefer to make my own.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
Any recipes you make ahead and freeze? Any tips on freezing to avoid freezer burn? I have not had a lot of luck with freezing, but we have had a lot of stuff not appear edible when taking out of the freezer due to freezer burn on top. With me working nights and my husband getting home late most nights, we have been relying on quick and easy (unhealthy) frozen stuff. I would prefer to make my own.
I would buy frozen meals then you don't have to worry about freeze burnt and them going bad
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Pretty much just different sandwich meats like Buffalo Chicken, Loose Meat & Italian Beef. Normally I put them in the crockpot & stick the leftovers in the freezer for a quick meal later.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Make sure your food is completly cooled in the fridge before putting it into the freezer. Also make sure there is as little air as possible in the container or bag. If using freezer bag squeeze out excess air, if using container use correct size, don't use a container with an inch or two of space between food and lid. Foods that freeze well are soups, chilis, lasagna, pasta sauce, burritos.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Claudia1

Torments DISers with choc. chip cookie escapades
Step AWAY from the cake, ma'am!

I make frozen dinners all the time for DH to take to work.

Undercook the pasta by half and it will come out well with re-heated. I invested in divided plastic containers and they are perfect for freezing. You will find lots of great meals freeze well.

Good luck!
Claudia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

There's a new line of seal-able bags that you can use in the microwave or boil in water. There's a bunch of food saver vacuum packing machines, they're a lot cheaper online like ebay than in the stores, but the same brand. That would help reduce the air.

I made my aunt tons of stew for her and my grandmother to eat last winter, and stored them in ziploc bags so I could get all the air out. It also makes it easier for stacking in the freezer.

You can also make start up meals. Like one weekend fry up a bunch of meatballs, then you can use it for spaghetti or beef stroganoff on different nights. Ham is also versatile, you can use it hot or cold, and use the bone for bean stew.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
ForAandA
Tiggerlicious

I usually do a bunch of batch cooking once or twice a month. For example, I will make a large batch of pasta sauce. I am cooking for a family of 6, so making things ahead of time helps so much!

When I make pasta sauce I will keep 1 meat free, add ground beef to a batch for meatsauce, add sliced cooked italian sausage for another batch, etc. The batches are cooled completely and frozen in tupperware like containers. I take them out the night before and let them defrost on the counter.

This also works well for sloppy joe meat, taco meat, pulled pork, pulled chicken, all made in the crockpot. Chili, soups freeze great as well.

I also make waffles, french toast and pancakes in large batches, cool completely, and freeze in portions of 2 either in small freezer bags or tin foil. These make breakfast easy (just pop in the toaster) and work well if you choose to have breakfast for dinner once in a while.

ForAandA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: