Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
shortbun
Peacenik

Ew, how can you NOT notice soup in a pot roast? I hate any recipe with canned, creamed soup in it. I'm more of a purist. I like my food fresh. And, just calling that recipe, the 'Duggar' anything, would keep me away from it. I think the Duggars are possessed by some strange entitiy and it's NOT God.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #17
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
Ew, how can you NOT notice soup in a pot roast? I hate any recipe with canned, creamed soup in it. I'm more of a purist. I like my food fresh. And, just calling that recipe, the 'Duggar' anything, would keep me away from it. I think the Duggars are possessed by some strange entitiy and it's NOT God.

You throw it in the crockpot. Beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, packet of Lipton beefy onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup. 8 hour later you have yummy potroast.

I am going to try the ground beef with onions, garlic, and green peppers. I am going to top that with the cheddar cheese soup, then the tots, then I will bake. I'll let you all know how it turns out. We are in a recipe rut, I am looking for a few new things to add to the rotation.

My biggest issue with the recipe sites is the reviews are crazy, people change the entire recipe and then say they didn't like the original that they in no way followed. And the Duggar tot recipe has a million great reviews, which seems unreal, there has to be someone that did not like it. That is why I asked here, people are more honest.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #18
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
My biggest issue with the recipe sites is the reviews are crazy, people change the entire recipe and then say they didn't like the original that they in no way followed. And the Duggar tot recipe has a million great reviews, which seems unreal, there has to be someone that did not like it. That is why I asked here, people are more honest.
Of course there are people who don't like it. I made something like this years ago. While I won't go out and say that it "tasted bad", it's obviously something that is so processed and so not good for you. These dishes remind of things that people make in order to make a lot of food for a lot of people that's filling and can stretch their dollar--but horrible for you. I am quite amazed when I go on allrecipes.com, for instance, print out a bunch of "5 star" recipes and they end up being crap that I wouldn't feed my dog. I just have to think "what are people eating? and this is what they think a 5 star recipe is?" I have no issue with eating a high calorie, over processed meal like this occasionally. But to even begin to think it's fabulous is a mystery to me.

As for the cream of soups--I don't care for them myself. As the busy cook in my home, in desperation, I try a lot of recipes using them in hopes that i'll stumble upon one that I "don't notice the soup" but it hasn't happened yet. The closest I've come is to making a tuna casserole with Campbell's Cream of Chicken with Herbs. It does taste a lot better than using Cream of Mushroom/Chicken/Celery for some reason.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #19
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
We are in a recipe rut, I am looking for a few new things to add to the rotation.
This is why I Pinterest. I have found a ton of recipes to try on that site. I like that they come from all over the place. There are a lot of food blogs out there. I like that I can take a quick look at something that looks good and read the ingredients. This way I know if I am willing to cook it (I dismiss most recipes once I see the words can of) and if everyone in my family would be willing to eat it. Then I can pin it to use later. Like a virtual recipe box. LOVE IT!
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
I had to google the recipe to see what is was. It sounds terrible, like really really bad. I don't like tater tots to begin with but wouldn't they get soggy under all that soup
I also had to google the recipe because I couldn't figure out what could be so disgusting sounding about tater tot casserole.

I make this occasionally as a quick and easy winter "comfort food" and DH & I enjoy it just as much as the kids, but I make it as a version of shepards pie (sauteeing the meat and veggies and making my own roux and sauce so it's not dry). We just top it with tater tots instead of mashed potatoes. They get nice and crispy. (If I'm limited on time, I may even cook the tater tots in the oven on a cookie sheet while I'm preping cooking the meat and veggies on the stovetop.)

The Duggar version seems like a lot of canned soups, no vegetables, and I also would think the tots would not get crispy after they're soaked with the liquid.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Since I am allergic to dairy I make my own cream sauce with flour, earth balance, and soy milk and add mushrooms, celery and onions. We substitute crumbles for the meat and use soy cheese. Tater tots go on top so they get crispy. Comes out pretty good but is very doctored from the original

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #22
rascalmom
Business trips should include a little Disney
Boomer Sooner! Boomer Sooner! Go OU!
My middle name is Gullible!

My mom used to make this when I was growing up back in the late 60s/70s, so the Duggars certainly didn't invent it.

I liked it as a kid, but I think we all try to eat a little healthier now. I try not to use canned foods that have unpronounceable ingredients in them. I will used canned tomatoes and canned beans for some things though.
FW 74, 76, DI 83, CBR 99, OKW 00, Polynesian 01, CR-GV NYE O1/Jan 02, CR-Tower MK View May/June 02, ASMo/OKW July 03, OKW July 04, HRH 10/04, WL Concierge/SSR March 05, OKW June 05, SSR Christmas 2006. SSR July 2007, DL GCH March 2009, OKW May 2011, HRH/BLT Theme Park View March 2012
rascalmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #23
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

No and honestly I'd go hungry before eating that. I HATE cream of whatever soup and cheese.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #24
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

This horrid dish reminds of the days I had to go to the nanny during the summer and she'd make this at least twice a week. I can remember the smell and its making me light headed. I have forever been scarred for life.

Hoping for Dec. 2015!
pigletgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #25
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
I'm here - I've actually tried to get my kids to eat recipes with soup/velveeta/fake stuff, but I started too late. I once made hamburger helper, and they were grossed out. Forget about the mac and cheese I made with velveeta last week, or the time I served a stouffers lasagna! Heck, I don't like that stuff, but I thought I could at least get the kids to eat it! However, I cook from scratch (fresh herbs in the summer), and they're used to that.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

My mom never made it, she was a 'make stuff from scratch mom'. However dh's mom would make it. Not sure of the recipe though.

I do find it icky that people think the Duggars invented it though.

Just like Disturbed wrote "Land of Confusion" and Glee wrote "Bohemian Rhapody".
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #27
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
I do find it icky that people think the Duggars invented it though.
People seem to think the Duggar's invented a lot of stuff!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #28
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Absolutely disgusting.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

I tried it. It was just meh. I made it with he cheddar cheese soup instead of the cream soup. It tasted like Hamburger helper, which is all my mother in law cooks, so my husband liked it. I don't think I will make it again. It was heavy, like good for a crowd in a snowstorm type of thing. A little too heavy for me.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #30
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Yeah, we ate this while we were growing up -- long before it was Duggar-anything. It's okay, nothing special. I put it in the same category as Hamburger Helper. Its claim to fame is that it's cheap and quick. It's not disgusting, and if my husband made it on a Tuesday night i'd eat it and be glad I didn't have to cook. But I'd not ask for seconds, and I'd never serve it on a weekend or to company.

I almost never use soup as a sauce in anything. Making a homemade white sauce is cheaper and takes all of a few minutes -- without all the chemicals that're in canned soup. No matter what the commercials say, soup IS NOT good food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Of course there are people who don't like it. I made something like this years ago. While I won't go out and say that it "tasted bad", it's obviously something that is so processed and so not good for you. These dishes remind of things that people make in order to make a lot of food for a lot of people that's filling and can stretch their dollar--but horrible for you.
Two thoughts:

1. So many people today can't cook. At all. So when they follow a simple, monkey-could-co-it recipe like this, they're amazed at their culinary feat.

2. When the main ingredient is tater tots, one shouldn't expect a healthy outcome!
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: