Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf
 
jhaig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 1,979

We Want To Stay at Yacht or Beach, But...

We spend most of our park time at the Magic Kingdom (and Epcot too, but anyway...). I would like to stay someplace new and the Yacht and Beach would be a great choice, especially with that awesome pool complex.

Is it a poor choice to stay and Yacht and Beach if we will only spend minimal time at Epcot or HS? Would we spend too much time in transit to MK?
__________________


2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran
 
cjsm&d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Acton, ME
Posts: 1,000

I think YC/BC is an awesome choice no matter what park you are going to. Even if MK is your favorite, You have access to the Boardwalk nightly, the best resort pool on property, great restaurant options, and a park hopper gives you quick access to Illuminations every night.

I have always thought the "travel issue" is a non-issue. It's not like you are an hour away from any place at WDW!
__________________
Disney Vets
1976 (mom only)- Poly, 1991- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 1995- Outside, 1996- Yacht Club, 2004-Outside, 2006- AKL (4)/WL (5), 2008- Outside, 2009- POR, 2010- CSR, 2011- CSR/Swan, April 15, 2013- POR[/U]
[/B]
cjsm&d is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.
 
Pakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central California
Posts: 20,097

The transit time to MK is not bad but the busses are crowded and often standing room only. That doesn't bother us.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf
 
jhaig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 1,979

No way to the monorail until after EP opens right?
__________________


2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran
 
Wood Nymph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 4,208

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
No way to the monorail until after EP opens right?
People who are staying in the Epcot resorts can still walk through Epcot to get to the monorail, and vice versa, even if Epcot is closed. But there is probably a time limit on that, though. We were at the MK once on a late night and were able to take the Epcot monorail and walk through Epcot to get to the BC, even though Epcot was closed.
__________________
~ Sue





Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran
 
Wood Nymph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 4,208

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig View Post
We spend most of our park time at the Magic Kingdom (and Epcot too, but anyway...). I would like to stay someplace new and the Yacht and Beach would be a great choice, especially with that awesome pool complex.

Is it a poor choice to stay and Yacht and Beach if we will only spend minimal time at Epcot or HS? Would we spend too much time in transit to MK?
One of the disadvantages of staying in the Epcot area hotels is that it is harder to get to MK. We found ourselves over the years going less often to MK just because it took so much more time to go there than it did to go to Epcot or HS. The bus takes at least 20 minutes and it isn't usually isn't dedicated to one resort. We would often walk through Epcot to take the monorail to the transportation center and switch to the park monorail. But that took time, too.

That is one of the main reasons we are going to stay at the Wilderness Lodge for the first time ever in February. We have little kids with us and they want to spend a lot of time at Mickey's house. The Epcot resorts are absolutely wonderful, especially if you have teens or adults, or if you like to spend some time at your resort, just relaxing. But the buses to MK and AK do seem an annoyance after getting spoiled by the easy access to Epcot and HS.
__________________
~ Sue





Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf
 
jhaig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Corning, NY
Posts: 1,979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
People who are staying in the Epcot resorts can still walk through Epcot to get to the monorail, and vice versa, even if Epcot is closed. But there is probably a time limit on that, though. We were at the MK once on a late night and were able to take the Epcot monorail and walk through Epcot to get to the BC, even though Epcot was closed.
Wonder if that's true in the morning?
__________________


2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
One of the disadvantages of staying in the Epcot area hotels is that it is harder to get to MK. We found ourselves over the years going less often to MK just because it took so much more time to go there than it did to go to Epcot or HS. The bus takes at least 20 minutes and it isn't usually isn't dedicated to one resort. We would often walk through Epcot to take the monorail to the transportation center and switch to the park monorail. But that took time, too.

That is one of the main reasons we are going to stay at the Wilderness Lodge for the first time ever in February. We have little kids with us and they want to spend a lot of time at Mickey's house. The Epcot resorts are absolutely wonderful, especially if you have teens or adults, or if you like to spend some time at your resort, just relaxing. But the buses to MK and AK do seem an annoyance after getting spoiled by the easy access to Epcot and HS.
ITA . When we stayed at the BC, the bus transportation to MK and AK was horrible. Taking a long time getting around wasn't the biggest factor for us as it was the buses being very crowded with standing room only every time it got to the BC to pick up. During our stay, the buses shared with BC/YC/BWI/Swan/Dolphin. We are trying the YC next summer, however, we are staying 3 nights prior to a cruise and staying at the Poly 3 nights after the cruise. We plan on spending time at the resort with both stays, but going to Epcot/DHS during our YC stay and doing MK (and maybe AK) during our Poly stay. If waiting for a bus and/or getting on a crowded bus doesn't bother you, then staying at an Epcot resort and going to MK would be fine. We are never in a hurry to get anywhere when at Disney as we are go with the flow kind of people and are on vacation, but it did get a little frustrating having to always stand on a bus . With all of that said, there have been many different reports on bus transportation at the YC/BC, with some having no wait at all with getting on an empty bus to others spending half of their vacation time waiting, only to be inconvenienced by standing or waiting for the next one. Good luck .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.