DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
jennybdis
Mouseketeer

How many of you chose a home resort without having ever been there?

My husband and I are pouring over the boards and other info trying to make a good decision this upcoming spring when we buy our membership. The biggest obstacle for us is that we have absolutely fallen in love with vacationing at Disney, but we have only been there twice (no childhood trips for either of us). We took our family in 2009 and stayed in a vacation home off property, and then this past June on property at the Yacht Club. We have done a ton of research into Disney--DVDs, books, internet, etc., so we feel like we know a lot about the parks and the resorts, but we haven't stayed anywhere other than the Yacht Club.

While we feel absolutely comfortable investing into the DVC, we are definitely meeting with a little hesitation into our choice of deciding where to make our initial investment simply because we haven't stayed on other spots on property and aren't seasoned Disney veterans. We loved the Yacht Club. We loved being so close to Epcot (and being so close to Hollywood Studios), we loved the theming, we loved the whole area around Crescent Lake, etc. and we spent a ton of time researching and deciding where we were going to stay on property for that past trip. Since we have primarily vacationed in Cape May and Ocean City, New Jersey and along other points in New England, while it doesn't feel like the shore, the whole area does have that reminiscent feel of New England that appeals to both of us and makes us feel like we're on vacation.

Initially, we were leaning strongly towards getting a BCV contract (and we were going to buy all of the points we wanted and do it through Disney and finance it); however, we are now leaning more towards getting two contracts on the resale market: One for 100ish points this upcoming spring, and another a year or two later for another 125ish points. Initially, those first 100 points were going to be at BCVs with us deciding where to do the second contract at a later date; however, after a little more thought and consideration, we are thinking about making our first contract buy into BWVs because the contracts are about $10 less per point, and we feel like there's probably more availability over there, and a little more flexibility with room views/fewer points needed for stays. However, other than walking by the resort on the Boardwalk, we didn't stay there, and we really don't have any idea of what the resort is like. We've looked at countless pictures and You Tube videos and such, and while it all looks great from what we've seen (other than the scary clown slide) and really not TOO incredibly different than Yacht Club (if the Beach Club is Yacht Club's sister, I would say that Boardwalk is like a cousin?), it's just really hard to fork out this kind of cash without having stayed there before.

Also, I can say with certainty that there are a few resorts that don't appeal to me, but there are several others outside of the Boardwalk area that do. What if we loved OKW or SSR or the convenience of BLT? We really have no clue because we've never stayed anywhere else other than the YC.

Did you all make a decision on your home resort by staying there a few times? Did you buy without staying there? How do you come to a decision and feel good about it if you didn't?
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
lions1995
DIS Veteran

We bought directly from Disney on our first contract. We bought into SSR and at least saw the area first (since the sales are their). That said, if I was advising some one buying new I would provide the following suggesitons:

1) Consider Resale
2) Buy where you like to stay (which is where your stuck at)
3) research, research, researh

There are many reviews, pictures and info on the resorts. Take a look at posts here (disboards), allears.net and dvcnews.com.

We stayed at BWVs and loved it. I have no issues with clowns or walking or stairs (three main complaints). The proximity to EPCOT and HS is great. The nighttime entertainment on the BW is great. Quick service is a little weak, but table service is great.

Of course BC has all this as well (if you want to walk over to the BW). But only poeple staying at the BC / Yatch club can use the pool there. So it has one more big plus. So, if I were you and the SAB was a big plus, I would go with BC. If not, go with BWV.
lions1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Would you buy a car without test driving it? Would you buy a suit or dress without trying it on? Would you buy a house just off of pictures on the internet?

These are similar comparisons to buying DVC and your answers to them should give you an idea of what you need to do before making your purchase. If you go back and reread your post, you have already answered your question. You are nervous about buying DVC without having stayed at the resort. Trust your instincts. I would recommend renting points from an owner (or point broker) and trying out a few of the resorts prior to purchasing. You can do a split stay on your next vacation and try out your favorites. DVC will still be there when you're ready.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
drusba

DIS Veteran

We bought BWV sight unseen over 15 years ago but circumstances were different from now. We looked into OKW as early as 1992 (when it was called Disney Vacation Club) and decided against buying there and just started waiting until something else came along that was closer to a park and had ready access to usual hotel services (we liked the idea of being able to get a 1BR or 2BR with kitchen and w/d and be able to stay on site). We had stayed at all the MK resorts and at YC and BC by 1996. Our strong preference was the Epcot resort area even before BWI/BWV was built. Thus, we purchased there soon after it opened because it was the only DVC resort other than OKW and it was in the area we preferred being. Still prefer BWV over all others particularly for location and boardwalk view rooms, one of the best views on site. It also has low point cost standard view that costs close to the same as OKW. And you should not count on being able to get standard or boardwalk view often unless you are an owner reserving during the 11 month window.

We now also own at AKV which we bought in 2007 before it even opened. However, we had stayed at AKL once before.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Jkpark
DIS Veteran

We bought at SSR and had stayed there before. It allowed us to buy more points and we don't usually travel during peak seasons. Although I would probably prefer the EPCOT resorts, we will be perfectly happy with SSR if we get "stuck there".

WDW: Dec '85 (offsite), May '01 (offsite), Nov '02 (POFQ/Swan), Jan '07 (POP), Oct '08 (offsite), May '11 (SSR), Sept '12 (offsite/BLT)
March 2012 Aulani
Plus lots of trips to Disneyland
Jkpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
HannaBelle
DIS Veteran

We bought at BLT, sight unseen.

We stay at AKL in 2006 and loved the resort, but not the location. We stayed at the CR in 2008 and love love loved it. We loved the new updated decor and the monorail access at the CR.

We heard rumors of BLT and knew we had to wait and see if it would become a reality. Since buying in, we have only stayed at BWV and loved the location, but not the decor. Of course, that is MY personal opinion and there are others that will whole heartily disagree with me.

We have stayed off-site in condos and while we do enjoy the convenience of having 2 bedrooms, we hated not being on-site. DVC was a "no brainer" for us. I hate going other places and having all 4 of us in a single hotel room. I have started using priceline and booking 2 rooms. My kids are older DS19 & D14 and they don't like to share a bed. Nor am I going to split up and do a "guys bed" and a "girls bed" like we did when they were little.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Mick West
Mouseketeer

I really think you can make an informed decision without staying in the actual resort. We strated with very little on site "experience". We did our research and then made a trip and asked our guide if we can visit some rooms and he set it up. Long story short: We purchased at BCV and AKV - and made sure we got the same Use Year. We love it. Mainly BCV when we go with family or take friends and AKV when it's just us and we want to feel away from it - if you know what I mean. However, our seven ywar old grandson would rather be at AKV than anywhere else. Loves the pool and animals!
Mick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We bought Bay Lake, direct, without ever having been to WDW! How's that for sight unseen?

We considered doing a few practice runs, renting from owners, but since we were already going to waste money by financing, we didn't want to spend money that didn't go towards DVC ownership.

Our choices at that time (because we didn't know enough to insist on a "sold out" resort) were AKV and BLT, and decided on BLT.

And we haven't stayed there yet. We keep insisting on these big, long trips involving extra family, and our points just go further at OKW. (we did stay at AKV jambo once and disliked it immensely, so we're glad we didn't go with that as our home resort, but the aesthetics in pictures didn't make me happy)

I loved loved loved OKW in pictures, and we feel the same about it in person. I also loved BWV in pictures, and we love it more than the pictures showed. Mainly because the clown pool doesn't look scary to me in person, and I am HUGELY clown-phobic.

I don't tell you this to *recommend* it, but you asked for experiences! And that's ours.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
Denmage
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Although we did see VWL and BC before we bought them, I think you could buy without seeing. The one thing we have found is that we have not stayed at our "home" as often as we thought. When you are buying Disney, you are buying points. Sure you get the 11 month window on your home, but some years you will find it just doesn't seem to work out for you. We have stayed at just about every resort at DisneyWorld, usually because we were unable to book our home resort for one reason or another. But that's the beauty of it, you try something different and still stay on property.

Whatever you do, if you that "special" vacation each year, make sure you buy enough points. Not just for now, but in the future too. We found that our original 200 points for VWL doesn't buy the 1 bed unit in the first week of December that we were hoping for. This year you need 205 points for it! So much for the 11 month window. Unless we borrow or have banked points we always seem to end up using some of our add-on points, which throws us into the 7 month window.

But as I said before, it really doesn't matter as long as you're on property.

Good Luck,

Denis
Denmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
moobar25
Mouseketeer

I'm in the process of buying a resale contract at BWV. BUT I've stayed there before. Sight unseen, my advice is go with a resort that is close to the park you like.

You mentioned you've stayed at YC - if you liked that then you'll like BCV. To me they seem basically the same. BWV is also nice- just a little more spread out than YC or BC. But the great thing is that it is in the same area, costs less than BC, has more options for room types (room views) - you can pick standard, pool or boardwalk view. As opposed to BC where all 3 views cost the same points and you don't get to pick which one you want. As for availability- BWV gets filled up quick in fall for F&WF, so if that is where you buy you'll get an 11 month advantage for booking there.

I'd suggest for you to get a contract at BWV for now, and later add on at a different one if you like the other locations.
BLT - next to MK, monorail ride from Epcot, bus to DHS & AK
VWL - boat ride from MK, bus to other 3
BCV & BWV - walk to Epcot & DHS, bus to other 2
AKL Jamboree & Kidani - bus to all 4 parks
OKW - boat ride to DTD, bus to all 4 parks
SSR - walk/boat ride to DTD, bus to all 4 parks
AKV-CL 1/15, BCV 9/14, AKV-CL/BCV 5/14, BC-CL/BLT/BWV 11/13 Wine & Dine Marathon, BLT/BCV 9/13 Family Reunion, YC-CL 6/13 Star Wars, BCV/BLT 1/13 Birthday Surprise, BLT/BCV 10/12 DH Birthday, BCV 5/12 Baby's 1st trip, AKV 5/11, BWV 5/10, SSR 9/08, BCV 5/08, BCV 5/07, VWL 5/05 Honeymoon

moobar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
DisneyGal24
Always dreaming of Disney!

We just purchased at Saratoga and have only been there for the DVC tour (where we saw models for AKV and Aulani). In fact, we have never stayed at a Deluxe before either. We have always stayed at the values. We love Disney so much and decided it was the only place we wanted to vacation so we bought at SSR because it was cheaper than AKV. It doesn't matter to us which DVC we stay in as long as we are at Disney!! I just know that the rooms will be bigger than the values!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Would you buy a car without test driving it? Would you buy a suit or dress without trying it on? Would you buy a house just off of pictures on the internet?

These are similar comparisons to buying DVC and your answers to them should give you an idea of what you need to do before making your purchase. If you go back and reread your post, you have already answered your question. You are nervous about buying DVC without having stayed at the resort. Trust your instincts. I would recommend renting points from an owner (or point broker) and trying out a few of the resorts prior to purchasing. You can do a split stay on your next vacation and try out your favorites. DVC will still be there when you're ready.

Good luck!
My thoughts exactly!

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick West View Post
I really think you can make an informed decision without staying in the actual resort.
I don't agree. We bought BLT before staying there and as the DIS regulars know, it is our least favorite resort. The MK view is over hyped and the photos don't show that the castle is a good distance away, Disney makes it seem like you will be much closer. The walk to the MK is a plus as is the monorail, the lake view is better than the MK view IMO and the pool is too small for the resort. The furnishings chosen for the resort were on the cheap and DVD, again my opinion, understated the dues liability to make buying there more appealing. That's why we saw a 8.41% dues increase this year, BWV had a 2.95% increase.

If we had stayed there first, we would not have bought there.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

All this advice is wonderful and while I don't disagree with it in totality, it's all HINDSIGHT. There are many times in life when someone else's hindsight really doesn't do YOU a lot of good.

In a perfect world, we would all stay a week at each and every resort, pick the one we like, pay cash for it, and pay our annual dues on Jan 1 every year.

Alas, most of us don't live in a utopian world. I dare say that most buyers buy having only seen the models at SSR (or wherever). When we bought Kidani, the SIGN wasn't even up yet and all ANYBODY had seen were artists' renditions.

All the resorts have pluses and minuses based on personal preferences. One man's dive is another man's castle.

Trust your gut. That's what gets most of us through day to day. You can "Ready. Ready. Aim. Aim. Aim..." forever taking advice given here.

These folks (my PEERS) will caution you to death. Remember though, they are all already OWNERS. They already pulled the trigger.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
jennybdis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
My thoughts exactly!

Bill
I have thought about that and was petitioning my husband to see if we could go for a day or two during F&W with the intent to "house hunt," but he has said that he doesn't want to spend another dime going to Disney without it going towards our investment in the DVC. And, in truth, I regret that this last visit's cost wasn't applied towards the membership as we could already own 100 points....

In reality, it is a smaller investment (if we stick with 100 points initially) than if we bought a car. Our thought is to add the secondary contract of 125 or so points once we get another visit or two under our belts, upon which we will take a day to actively visit the other resorts and decide if we want to add at another resort like SSR or OKW, or if we feel "home" at one of the Epcot area resorts and presumably add onto BWV, or get the other round of points at BCV.

If we loved YC, we would love BCV or BWV, right? It's not like either of them suck and we'd be miserable or regretful of our decision, right?
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: