Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran
 
NoOrdinaryPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,414

As I mentioned in the introduction, this was just a quick weekend trip with one full day in a park and then back home. Therefore, we were at Epcot in time for rope drop.

I couldn't continue my envelope adventure until World Showcase opened at 11, so we breakfasted at Sunshine Seasons while waiting for our Soarin' fastpasses to come due.



We got the breakfast panini and a cinnamon roll to share (the water and powerede tasted as your expected they would).

The panini was filled with eggs, bacon, sausage and cheese. It tasted very similar to the breakfast quiches offered by Panera Bread Company (if you have one of those near you). It was quite satisfying, but unremarkable. J is very particular about his scrambled eggs, and I was worried he wouldn't like it, but he ate it just the same.

The cinnamon roll was okay. It was a bit on the dry side and could have benefitted from being heated up, but it not too bad.

J really wants to try the lunch here on our trip in a week. We'll see if that ends up happening.

Last edited by NoOrdinaryPrincess; 09-30-2012 at 11:53 AM.
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #17
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran
 
NoOrdinaryPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,414

After some rides and some exploring, World Showcase finally opened and I could continue my envelope adventure. Once there, I made a beeline for…













THE ROSE AND CROWN

[Image taken from Google]

Like the protagonist from the book my adventure was imitating, my worldly travels began in the UK at the Rose and Crown pub. My letter had encouraged me to push my boundaries and try something new. Specifically it asked me to sample a beer called a snake bite.



For those that don't know, a snake bite is a combination of cider and lager. It was pretty good. I like most ciders and lagers well enough independently, and the combination was good, but not something I would want more than a pint of at a time. I haven't drank any kind of soda for almost 10 years now, so I sometimes have a hard time with overly carbonated beverages.

The lager was a bit hoppy and the cider quite sweet. Overall the effect was good, but could become overwhelming if consumed in overly large quantities.

Next it was time for envelope #3. Can you tell where my next destination would be from the envelope art?

Last edited by NoOrdinaryPrincess; 09-30-2012 at 12:09 PM.
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
Dalamara
Mouseketeer
 
Dalamara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 200

Subscribing! I'm hooked already! :D. Your hubby sounds so sweet.
__________________
Dalamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
jecskc
DIS Veteran
 
jecskc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,488

Coming back to comment.

1. I love your writing style. Excellent.

2. You do a great job of describing food and their combination of flavors so we can imagine it ourselves. Unlike MY descriptions which are basically, "we ate here. It was good." LOL.

3. I have to read that book now. It sounds like a great one !!

4. How sweet of your DH to send you on this scavenger hunt !! Oh my goodness ... he's a keeper !!! Lucky you !!

5. I can't wait to see what happens next !! Thanks so much for sharing !!

Susan
jecskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
partyof2
Colette
 
partyof2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 234

I too love YA fiction and Doctor Who!

Your own personal blue envelope journey is so romantic, and I'm not known for being soppy!

I'd love to do the Cape May Cafe buffet but my boyfriend hates seafood, and wouldn't even entertain the idea despite the fact he would actually have to eat any if he didn't want to.
__________________
First visit >> Oct 2010 - Age 26!
Visit #2 >> Nov 2013 - POR
Visit #3 >> Nov 2014 - Pop
Visit #4 >> Oct 2015 - We're getting married!



partyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran
 
NoOrdinaryPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalamara View Post
Subscribing! I'm hooked already! :D. Your hubby sounds so sweet.
Aww thank you very much. He is the greatest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Coming back to comment.

1. I love your writing style. Excellent.

2. You do a great job of describing food and their combination of flavors so we can imagine it ourselves. Unlike MY descriptions which are basically, "we ate here. It was good." LOL.

3. I have to read that book now. It sounds like a great one !!

4. How sweet of your DH to send you on this scavenger hunt !! Oh my goodness ... he's a keeper !!! Lucky you !!

5. I can't wait to see what happens next !! Thanks so much for sharing !!

Susan
Thank you very much for you nice compliments. One thing I wanted to accomplish with this report was to create entries that would help people understand my preferences and why I had the opinions I had, so they can determine if it would be right for them (ie, the snakebite was a little hard to drink for me because it was so carbonated, but someone who is more accustomed to drinking carbonated beverages may like it more.

And yes, J is the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by partyof2 View Post
I too love YA fiction and Doctor Who!

Your own personal blue envelope journey is so romantic, and I'm not known for being soppy!

I'd love to do the Cape May Cafe buffet but my boyfriend hates seafood, and wouldn't even entertain the idea despite the fact he would actually have to eat any if he didn't want to.
J is quite the romantic (we both are, really). I'm quite fortunate to have him.

What is your favorite YA? J titled this adventure "13 Little Who Envelopes" and the narrative in the letters discusses how we are traveling through time as well as space to get to these destinations. It's really quite creative!

I really enjoyed Cape May and wouldn't hesitate to return, even without the inclusion of the oreo bon bons, but perhaps you can find some compromise. Narcossees has some good seafood options (the lobster is even included on the DDP!), but also some excellent terrestrial options. Coral Reef is known for it's steaks. Maybe one of those would be a good alternative?
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #23
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran
 
NoOrdinaryPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,414

This next letter instructed me to travel to Italy, as per the story, and try "un bacio" an Italian chocolate and hazelnut candy. Also the Italian word for "a kiss".



This particular delicacy can be found in the Delizie Italiane shop in the Italy pavilion. These are bell-shaped candies with cream filling surrounding large chunks of hazelnut and a dark chocolate coating.

I also have an image of me giving my Dearest un bacio, but you don't get to see that one.


Up next, the adventure that wasn't...
__________________

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #24
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran
 
DonaldDoleWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,606

Mmm, I've had that candy before, but it's been a few years. Dark chocolate and hazelnut together - yum.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #25
DisneyMomFanatic
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyMomFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norristown, PA
Posts: 1,129

I'm in, just found this! I always think that when I am going to do a TR or DR that I am much funnier than I really am or that I have cute/funny ideas that never quite make their way into the report, or ideas that seem good then just flop when writing them. But I am still doing it anyway! I love the envelope idea and can't wait to see more.
__________________
Me , DH ,DS(15) ,DD(12)
Me: June '72 Contemp,July '80 Fw, June '84 FW, xmas/New Year '85-'86 off prop
Me & DH: Nov '93 off prop (parent's house), May '94 off prop-Disneymoon, Nov '98 off prop (parent's house)
Me, DH, & DS: Dec '99 off prop (parent's house), Nov '00 Contemporary, April '02 POR
Me, DH, DS, &DD:April '03 off prop (parent's house), April '05 off prop (parent's house), June '06 off prop (parent's house), August '07 POP, Dec '08/Jan '09 POP,August '10 Contemporary, August '12 AoA, July '14 POR

Where is the funnel cake?
I found the funnel cake, now where is the chocolate covered pineapple?
DisneyMomFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #26
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer
 
MLinDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 488

I'm so glad that you led me to your DR in my DR You write so well and so does your DH! The blue envelopes are very Clever! As a math teacher I do not have a great writing style but I would love to. I would guess that you are a writer or a teacher of writing.

I am thoroughly enjoying your adventure and reviews. I definitely want to try EoS and Rose and Crown, but I never thought of Cape May. It looks great and I love seafood!

I just looked up 13 Little Blue Envelopes on Amazon. I really need a book for my next book club read. This one looks great, but I'm a little hesitant to choose it because it is YA. Do you think it would make a good discussion book?
MLinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #27
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran
 
NoOrdinaryPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Mmm, I've had that candy before, but it's been a few years. Dark chocolate and hazelnut together - yum.
I agree! I have such a sweet tooth, this was a delightful treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomFanatic View Post
I'm in, just found this! I always think that when I am going to do a TR or DR that I am much funnier than I really am or that I have cute/funny ideas that never quite make their way into the report, or ideas that seem good then just flop when writing them. But I am still doing it anyway! I love the envelope idea and can't wait to see more.
Don't sell yourself short, I'm sure your reports are much more than you give yourself credit for. Besides, they're a lot more valuable than the person who never posted any kind of report, aren't they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLinDisney View Post
I'm so glad that you led me to your DR in my DR You write so well and so does your DH! The blue envelopes are very Clever! As a math teacher I do not have a great writing style but I would love to. I would guess that you are a writer or a teacher of writing.

I am thoroughly enjoying your adventure and reviews. I definitely want to try EoS and Rose and Crown, but I never thought of Cape May. It looks great and I love seafood!

I just looked up 13 Little Blue Envelopes on Amazon. I really need a book for my next book club read. This one looks great, but I'm a little hesitant to choose it because it is YA. Do you think it would make a good discussion book?
I replied to this on your profile. Thank you again, for such a thoughtful response.
__________________

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #28
nfggirl5454
Mouseketeer
 
nfggirl5454's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
I love Maureen Johnson; she's one of my favorite authors! I've read all her books except Burmudez Triangle (the only one I can't manage to find for ereader), including Name of the Star. I can't wait for The Madness Underneath in February.

For me, Maureen Johnson isn't as "deep" as, say John Green, but she is engaging and relatable in a way that appeals to a broad audience, not just teenagers.
Oh, you should read The Bermudez Triangle, I thought that one was really good. Have you thought of the library? I'm looking forward to The Madness Underneath too, and hopefully another Scarlett book sometime soon. I love John Green! Do you watch any of the Vlogbrother videos? Or the Lizzie Bennet Diaries? I don't mean to get away from the food topic, but my only friends who read YA are my younger sister (thanks to my influence) and a former college roommate who teaches HS English, so it's always nice to meet someone else who's into it.

Back on topic, does the Italian shop have many other candies? That one sounds good, but I'm not a big fan of hazelnut.
__________________
nfggirl5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
Dalamara
Mouseketeer
 
Dalamara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 200

I am a librarian and I LOVE YA literature! :D. I am a big fantasy fan, and some of the best fantasy series I have read have been YA or even J.
__________________
Dalamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #30
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran
 
NoOrdinaryPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfggirl5454 View Post
Oh, you should read The Bermudez Triangle, I thought that one was really good. Have you thought of the library? I'm looking forward to The Madness Underneath too, and hopefully another Scarlett book sometime soon. I love John Green! Do you watch any of the Vlogbrother videos? Or the Lizzie Bennet Diaries? I don't mean to get away from the food topic, but my only friends who read YA are my younger sister (thanks to my influence) and a former college roommate who teaches HS English, so it's always nice to meet someone else who's into it.

Back on topic, does the Italian shop have many other candies? That one sounds good, but I'm not a big fan of hazelnut.
Feel free to fill my thread up with as much YA talk as you want! I *love* the Lizzie Bennett Diaries. Why haven't they shown us Darcy yet? I feel like they might be building up too much anticipation for their own good.

Do I watch Vlogbrothers videos? French the Llama, how could I not? Really. Seriously. Can we have a nerd[fighter] party on the Disboards, please? [I'm sure anyone else on the boards reading this likely thinks we're crazy by now, but this is my DR, and I'll be as tangentially nerdy as I like!]

Regarding your culinary question, yes they did have other candies at the Italian shop, but as I don't read italian, and was somewhat preoccupied with my own mission, I couldn't tell you much about them. Perhaps I'll stop by and investigate more when I'm there next week.

Thanks for reading along and DFTBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalamara View Post
I am a librarian and I LOVE YA literature! :D. I am a big fantasy fan, and some of the best fantasy series I have read have been YA or even J.
J loves fantasy. He went to university for physics and creative writing, so he has all the trappings of a good fantasy or sci fi author. He only writes for fun, though. Right now we're working our way through the Temeraire series.
__________________

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.