Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #31
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee
 
Mouse House Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The movie in my mind
Posts: 11,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
Yeah. Who would want to potentially save a kids life because someone might have a snack that could be deadly to the kid with the severe allergy. VERY stupid advice.
Wow how nice to call someone stupid. My advice isn't "stupid" as you say. You have no idea if the teacher has approved this snack or not and you also have no idea if it is mandatory nut free or a request. If it is a request then the child can chow down on pb&j all she wants and the school cannot say a thing. Do I think it is right or nice? No- but that is the way it is. As far as questioning the teacher, does the OP's kid know for sure that it was in fact nutella and not the chocolate dip that you can buy for fruits in the food store? I feel terrible for any parent who has to worry about allergies of this severity but I personally cannot monitor what everyone else does. I know that I will adhere to the request because I would never want to see a child fall ill or worse. I guess that makes me "stupid".
__________________
I'm a diehard flip flopper!!!
Our Happy Family!!!
DHMEDS DDDS DD DD
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #32
Daysleeper40
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama

Wow how nice to call someone stupid. My advice isn't "stupid" as you say. You have no idea if the teacher has approved this snack or not and you also have no idea if it is mandatory nut free or a request. If it is a request then the child can chow down on pb&j all she wants and the school cannot say a thing. Do I think it is right or nice? No- but that is the way it is. As far as questioning the teacher, does the OP's kid know for sure that it was in fact nutella and not the chocolate dip that you can buy for fruits in the food store? I feel terrible for any parent who has to worry about allergies of this severity but I personally cannot monitor what everyone else does. I know that I will adhere to the request because I would never want to see a child fall ill or worse. I guess that makes me "stupid".
It is stupid advice.

The OP is hardly 'monitoring' what everyone else is doing. The nutella (or something her kid thinks is nutella) has been brought to her attention. It is irresponsible to ignore it as the OP thinks it may be harmful to another child. It's not exactly a big deal to query with the teacher and no big deal if it turns out to not be a problem.

If I you 'would hate' to see a child fall Ill I don't get why you think a passing comment or quick email to the teacher is such an inconvenience?

Last edited by Daysleeper40; 09-30-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Daysleeper40 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #33
Swan4Me
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,634

Actually Nutella LOOKS like a chocolate spread-i was totally unfamiliar with this product umtil a couple years ago. it is VERY likely that the teacher thinks the kid is spreading some chocolate on crackers and has no idea it contains nuts!


Contact teacher for verification-DONT "mind your own business"
Swan4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #34
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP
 
aprilgail2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 19,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
I would mind my business.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan4Me View Post
Actually Nutella LOOKS like a chocolate spread-i was totally unfamiliar with this product umtil a couple years ago. it is VERY likely that the teacher thinks the kid is spreading some chocolate on crackers and has no idea it contains nuts!

I know the exact thing that the OP is talking about because my daughter takes it to school everyday too-it is in a package with a big NUTELLA written all over it! Can't miss it!
__________________
The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something!
aprilgail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #35
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 15,722

It seems like asking the teacher is a win/win situation.

"No, nutella is not allowed, thanks for letting me know, and I will tell the parents" - kid might not die, OP's kid stops bugging her

"Nutella is fine" - OP's kid gets to bring it in
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #36
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee
 
Mouse House Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The movie in my mind
Posts: 11,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysleeper40 View Post
It is stupid advice.

The OP is hardly 'monitoring' what everyone else is doing. The nutella (or something her kid thinks is nutella) has been brought to her attention. It is irresponsible to ignore it as the OP thinks it may be harmful to another child. It's not exactly a big deal to query with the teacher and no big deal if it turns out to not be a problem.

If I you 'would hate' to see a child fall Ill I don't get why you think a passing comment or quick email to the teacher is such an inconvenience?
Hmmm...the title of the thread was "What would you do". That is what I would do. Just because you think it is "Stupid" doesn't make it so. Sorry to say that your opinion is not the final word for everything. It is just simply your opinion. Have a great day!
__________________
I'm a diehard flip flopper!!!
Our Happy Family!!!
DHMEDS DDDS DD DD
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #37
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 44,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
It seems like asking the teacher is a win/win situation.

"No, nutella is not allowed, thanks for letting me know, and I will tell the parents" - kid might not die, OP's kid stops bugging her

"Nutella is fine" - OP's kid gets to bring it in
You and I are from the same planet. Seems pretty basic to me too.

Live long and prosper.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #38
Daysleeper40
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
Hmmm...the title of the thread was "What would you do". That is what I would do. Just because you think it is "Stupid" doesn't make it so. Sorry to say that your opinion is not the final word for everything. It is just simply your opinion. Have a great day!
Of course it is my opinion - I'm stating it. I don't have to preceed everthing with "in my opinion" for that to be the case.

Regardless of that - I do believe that an opinion that allows a potentially dangerous / damaging situation to continue is less valid than one that can only result in a neutral or positive outcome.

It is a bit like when children (in defense of some naughty / silly thing they have done) say - "well Jimmy told me to do it", and the parent replies with "If Jimmy told you to run in front of a train would you?". The point being that some advice is at best stupid, and at worst dangerous.

The fact is - some things / actions / bits of advice are just stupid - or in this case, irresponsible. Sorry if that doesn't sit right with you but it is true. How very altruistic it is to "mind your own"

I would love to know what any of you that think saying nothing is the right thing to do would say to the parents of the alergic child if they did fall ill. How would you defend knowing and not saying anything? Or would you just point your 'blame culture' finger at someone else?
Daysleeper40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #39
msjprincess
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I like that, cosmic switch. When was in school, having food out in the classroom was automatic detention. And we went from 9 am to Noon before lunch. Although Kindergateners did get graham crackers and milk halfway through their half day session.
I started elementary school in 1970. We had snack and milk every day until I went to Jr High.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #40
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee
 
Mouse House Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The movie in my mind
Posts: 11,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysleeper40 View Post
Of course it is my opinion - I'm stating it. I don't have to preceed everthing with "in my opinion" for that to be the case.

Regardless of that - I do believe that an opinion that allows a potentially dangerous / damaging situation to continue is less valid than one that can only result in a neutral or positive outcome.

It is a bit like when children (in defense of some naughty / silly thing they have done) say - "well Jimmy told me to do it", and the parent replies with "If Jimmy told you to run in front of a train would you?". The point being that some advice is at best stupid, and at worst dangerous.

The fact is - some things / actions / bits of advice are just stupid - or in this case, irresponsible. Sorry if that doesn't sit right with you but it is true. How very altruistic it is to "mind your own"

I would love to know what any of you that think saying nothing is the right thing to do would say to the parents of the alergic child if they did fall ill. How would you defend knowing and not saying anything? Or would you just point your 'blame culture' finger at someone else?
Okay, well I completely see where you are coming from but here is why I pretty much feel the way I do. I would never send in a nut item if I was told there was a child with an allergy in the class. I personally do not want to be responsible for another child's illness and as a parent I empathize and sympathize with the allergic child's parents. I can only imagine how stressful that is. However- unless the school is nut free that child will most likely come in contact with the allergen. The other students who eat and bring nut products and the school cafeteria which usually sells pb&j. I am all for doing MY part to put a child in a safer situation but the reality is that anywhere that child goes - supermarket, toy store, library,- it is not going to be a "clean" environment. That is not to say that we should feed the kid some nutter butters and hope for the best etc.- I am simply saying that while I may not agree with others sending in the item there is going to have to be some way to manage these situations when they do encounter such things. I know I am not coming across the way I want to so please take that into consideration when reading this.
__________________
I'm a diehard flip flopper!!!
Our Happy Family!!!
DHMEDS DDDS DD DD
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #41
shortbun
Peacenik
 
shortbun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: The Heart of It All!
Posts: 18,577

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I would send an email to the teacher and cc the principal. A nut allergy is serious business, and I couldn't face myself in the mirror if the kid with the allergy got hurt when I could have said something.
I don't think the principal needs a CC but definitely give the teacher a heads up right away. This is a safety issue. Maybe she'll tell you hazelnuts don't fall under the nut allergy the student has.
__________________
Keep the Faith!! Peace and Love!!!



USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #42
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP
 
aprilgail2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 19,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99
I would send an email to the teacher and cc the principal. A nut allergy is serious business, and I couldn't face myself in the mirror if the kid with the allergy got hurt when I could have said something.
Geeez-not enough telling the teacher you want the principal too? How about the school board too? Maybe notify the national guard would like to know a child is eating nutella too.....
__________________
The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something!
aprilgail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #43
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts
 
snarlingcoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,641

In the Christian faith, it's called sins of omission, which are different from sins of commission, and most faiths/ethical belief systems have something similar.

A sin of commission is one in which you do something that harms another. For example, you know someone is allergic to nuts and you intentionally expose that person to nuts.

A sin of ommission is one in which you keep silent when you have direct knowledge that someone else is harming another person. For example, you know that someone is allergic to nuts and you also know that a 3rd party is exposing the allergic person to nuts.

In this case, it is a sin of omission up until the point at which the teacher clarifies whether or not the child in question is allergic to all nuts or just peanuts.

Your own personal ethical/moral guidelines may vary, of course, but that's pretty much how many ethical/moral systems view the world in different terminologies. And it's also why it's often good to think about how to phrase things so that the hurt to one person can be stopped without injuring a second party. (The child who is bringing Nutella, for example - her parent(s) may think that the prohibitation is against peanuts and not all nuts and might be aghast to find out that they/he/she were possibly exposing another child to harm.)
__________________
Our family:
DH Me
Our menagerie:
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #44
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran
 
Poohforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,219

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Why are they eating in the classroom? That was a big no no when I was in school, and for my kids too.

Sounds like they have a good system setup.

I would ask.
I remember having snack time in the classroom in elementary school in the '70s. My dd had snack in her elementary school classroom as well. She's now in middle school. The janitors clean everyday so there isn't a problem.

Op, I agree with just sending an email to the teacher asking whether nutella is ok and adding that there might be some confusion about the allergy situation. Don't bother the principal with this or rat out other parents at the get go. See what response you get from the teacher. BTW, you can get those nutella/biscuit cups at target.

Last edited by Poohforyou; 09-30-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #45
tasha99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oregon coast
Posts: 3,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
Geeez-not enough telling the teacher you want the principal too? How about the school board too? Maybe notify the national guard would like to know a child is eating nutella too.....
As a parent and as a teacher, I'm on good terms with my kids' teachers and principal. It doesn't have to be a big deal to cc something (just say you're cc'ing it in case it's an issue the principal should address in other classes as well). We have weekly staff meetings where I work, and that's the kind of thing that would be discussed there--what's a nut product? Maybe more reminders need to be sent home to families because if it's happening in one class, it might be happening elsewhere. The principal isn't the boogieman and a cc of an email doesn't have to be nasty.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.