Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Let's play "what would you do?"

My son is 6. First grade. Class/school have a policy where you can bring nut products to the cafeteria for lunch, but not into the classroom for snack. There is a very nut-allergic boy in the class. Everyone knows this -- letters went out to parents at the beginning of the year and there is a big sign on the door that the class is a nut-free zone.

So, my kid loves Nutella. I don't send it to school, but I give him a snack of it when he gets home (usually a cut up apple with a dollop of Nutella on the side for dipping, Food Police). Today he comes home and says there's this cool Nutella thing where it's a pack with something you dip in the Nutella, and can I please get it for him to bring for snack. So I make him spell Nutella so he realizes nope, no can do, it has nuts. Then he tells me the girl who sits next to him brings it every day for snack. (I.e., in the classroom.)

What would you do? Stay out of it? Tell the teacher? Tell the room mom? Post something snarky on FB where the mom will see it? Other (there's always an other.)
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
My son is 6. First grade. Class/school have a policy where you can bring nut products to the cafeteria for lunch, but not into the classroom for snack. There is a very nut-allergic boy in the class. Everyone knows this -- letters went out to parents at the beginning of the year and there is a big sign on the door that the class is a nut-free zone.

So, my kid loves Nutella. I don't send it to school, but I give him a snack of it when he gets home (usually a cut up apple with a dollop of Nutella on the side for dipping, Food Police). Today he comes home and says there's this cool Nutella thing where it's a pack with something you dip in the Nutella, and can I please get it for him to bring for snack. So I make him spell Nutella so he realizes nope, no can do, it has nuts. Then he tells me the girl who sits next to him brings it every day for snack. (I.e., in the classroom.)

What would you do? Stay out of it? Tell the teacher? Tell the room mom? Post something snarky on FB where the mom will see it? Other (there's always an other.)
The mom sending it in may not make the connection since its hazlenuts and not peanuts. She may think its not a problem or maybe she asked the mom of the boy with the peanut allergy if he also is alergic to hazlenuts.
I would probably ask the teacher about the snack. I wouldnt just send it but i would mention it since the other mom might not be aware that a nut allergy can be tree nuts in addition to peanuts.
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

I would not sent it in and say nothing about this other kid. The teacher needs to enforce the "no nut classroom" and tell the other kid's mother to not send it in.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post

I would write a note to the teacher asking if it is okay to bring the Nutella to school as a snack? I would say that your son seems to think that other children are bringing it and that you wanted to make sure that it was okay before sending it with him.

The teacher's answer will settle the matter and it will put her on alert that there may be other children taking it to school as a snack.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedogged View Post
I would write a note to the teacher asking if it is okay to bring the Nutella to school as a snack? I would say that your son seems to think that other children are bringing it and that you wanted to make sure that it was okay before sending it with him.

The teacher's answer will settle the matter and it will put her on alert that there may be other children taking it to school as a snack.
This is a great suggestion.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
low-key
DIS Veteran

stay out of it, is always the correct answer
Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
tasha99
DIS Veteran

I would send an email to the teacher and cc the principal. A nut allergy is serious business, and I couldn't face myself in the mirror if the kid with the allergy got hurt when I could have said something.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
jen1977
Mouseketeer

Is the child allergic to peanuts, or all nuts?
jen1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
violetrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
I disagree. If the kid with the allergy gets sick from it, then OP would probably wish she had shared the information.

I like the other suggestion, just tell the teacher your son mentioned the Nutella snack she is bring for lunch and you want to know if your son can bring it too. Seems pretty simple to me.

violetrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Why are they eating in the classroom? That was a big no no when I was in school, and for my kids too.

Sounds like they have a good system setup.

I would ask.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post

Not when it risks someones health or safety.
Tell the teacher and do the right thing by not sending a Nutella snack.

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Why are they eating in the classroom? That was a big no no when I was in school, and for my kids too.

I would ask.
I stopped teaching in 1992 when I had kids. I started again in 2001 when my kids were all in school. In that time, there was some sort of cosmic switch and food is EVERYWHERE.

I thought it was amazing. Prior, snacks were only allowed for classrooms on a really late lunch. (or, of course, medical reasons like diabetes) After, kids couldn't possibly be expected to go from the start of school at 9:00 to lunch at 11:15 without the ability to snack in between!

I agree with others to ask the teacher to clarify the policy. I think it says a lot about the OP that she cares about the allergic child, many people don't.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedogged View Post

This.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:24 AM   #14
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post

I would ask.
Both growing up and where we live now, kindergartners always had snack time, and any grade that had a very early lunch or a very late lunch would also get to have a snack.

I would send a short e-mail to the teacher. "Dear Ms. Smith, I know the snack policy we received does not permit students to bring any kind of item that contains nuts. However, Johnny mentioned that he has seen other students with a Nutella treat. As this does contain nuts (hazelnuts), I was wondering if there had been a change in the policy. If you could let me know that would be great, since Nutella is one of his favorites. Thanks so much, Mrs. Miller"

As another poster said, that alerts the teacher that someone is bringing it in, and the OP gets to find out if there has been a change in policy.
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #15
coliebird
I HAVE to sleep with socks on!
There must be other people that do this also.
something about tuna from a deli skeeves me

It's possible that the boy is only allergic to peanuts, not tree nuts and this other parent checked. I would just ask the teacher if it's ok to bring in Nutella. I wouldn't mention the other kid.

My daughter is allergic to peanuts only. She loves Nutella. Unfortunately, she has to sit at the nut free table at lunch so she can't bring it. She just has it at home.
coliebird is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: