Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #31
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Wow, what a GREAT review!

I love reviews with awesome pictures...and your posts were like formatted perfectly (how did you do the borders around the pictures?)

Thanks! I will be bookmarking this thread to read again if our DVC waitlist for a 1bdrm at BLT ever comes through for our next trip!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #32
psac
DIS Veteran

Nice review, glad you liked it. Have you posted your WL review yet? Since you liked it so much, have you thought about DVC resale, or would you miss the housekeeping and all that good stuff?

My one regret from we stayed there was not fighting for the room request we had made and didn't get, which was your view. Of course they might not have had it available (and it is just a request, of course), but we were tired, and the inner room they were giving us was ready for check-in, so we just took it. The pool view is nice, but nowhere near as good as yours.
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #33
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow View Post
They told us when we checked in at BLT that they were pretty full and there were always people all over but you are right, the pool was not crowded at all. We were there at some point in the day just about everyday and sometimes there was only 3-4 other people in the pool. It was great

For the person who asked about using the kitchen, we did. We ate most breakfasts, two lunches and two dinners in the room not necessarily to save money but with little ones, they just needed a break sometimes. We don't eat out much at home so eating out for all meals just doesn't work for us. I did not cook big meals though. Just simple things like grilled cheese, pizza, tuna fish salad sandwiches, eggs, etc.
I see all your children in your signature and I can certainly see why an in-room meal would be so appealing, especially with their age variances. It must have been nice for you to have both the bar and banquette to sit and eat or the living room or even balcony. You must have made great use of the washer/dryer.

Did your children use the Community Hall? When I went in to take photos, it was empty. There was one CM working there and no children. It looked liked the perfect haven on a rainy day or in between activities. Everything was so neat and inviting - I wanted to hang out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Comparing a studio with a deluxe room would be easy. Take the deluxe room every time. The only perk you'd be missing is a microwave oven in your room. Plus you'd be getting two real beds (and maybe a day bed) versus a queen sized bed and a double sleeper sofa (no sleeper chair in the studio). Also, the BLT studio is the smallest of all the WDW studios except for the AKV Value Studio which is three feet in depth shorter than the standard or savanna view studio at AKV. I'd choose a standard CR resort room (wing room, tower room, whatever) over a BLT studio anytime just for the space and to be able to stretch out a bit

But if you can get a one bedroom villa, that's easy. Take the one bedroom over the hotel room. It adds so much to what you get.
You're so right about the Studio Vs. a CR Std. room. Other than the kitchenette or wanting to use up points, I can't figure out why someone would choose it over a CR room. The CR room is bigger and costs less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Wow, what a GREAT review!

I love reviews with awesome pictures...and your posts were like formatted perfectly (how did you do the borders around the pictures?)

Thanks! I will be bookmarking this thread to read again if our DVC waitlist for a 1bdrm at BLT ever comes through for our next trip!
Aren't you kind, thank you. I use Photobucket and edit the photos by adding borders.

I hope your waitlist comes through. I paid cash, but a one bedroom wasn't initially available with our discount, but I kept calling, almost everyday and about 2-3 weeks prior to arrival, one opened up. Don't give-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
Nice review, glad you liked it. Have you posted your WL review yet? Since you liked it so much, have you thought about DVC resale, or would you miss the housekeeping and all that good stuff?

My one regret from we stayed there was not fighting for the room request we had made and didn't get, which was your view. Of course they might not have had it available (and it is just a request, of course), but we were tired, and the inner room they were giving us was ready for check-in, so we just took it. The pool view is nice, but nowhere near as good as yours.
No, I'll never buy DVC or use points because we've been very fortunate to be able to use the military room-only 40% off discount for years and/or the AP discounts, and it includes housekeeping when we book with cash. Besides applying discounts, we prefer the flexibility of booking different resorts and not paying any other fees. For us, cash works best, but I don't begrudge others who prefer using points. It's great having so many great options when staying at WDW

I posted my August WL review a few weeks ago and put the link in my signature. It's located here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987881

Don't feel bad about not pushing for your request. Traveling takes a lot out of you and sometimes it's better to just get settled and relax ASAP. I can't recall from your review if you said you'd stay at BLT again? If so, maybe next time you'll get an outer villa. Is BWI still your favorite resort?
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #34
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
We did love it and DH really didn't even miss CL that much. He liked being able to have a good excuse to eat a hot breakfast and the king bed was a hit, too.
Just what I need, another contender for summer...DH would LOVE a villa...he made mention to VWL when we were there

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #35
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Just what I need, another contender for summer...DH would LOVE a villa...he made mention to VWL when we were there
Posted at the same time - great minds

I can't recommend the BLT one bedroom enough, but like I told Heather, I might recommend Kidani for you guys since you like AKL so much. There is so much room at BLT, it has the walkway and monorail, the CR next door and the views are amazing. I really think the familia pas would LOVE IT!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #36
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Posted at the same time - great minds

I can't recommend the BLT one bedroom enough, but like I told Heather, I might recommend Kidani for you guys since you like AKL so much. There is so much room at BLT, it has the walkway and monorail, the CR next door and the views are amazing. I really think the familia pas would LOVE IT!
We had a 2 Bedroom at Kidani and it was HUGMUNGOUS !!!! Made pancakes for the kiddos, awesome pool! We did a resort only stay...kinda like heather did

But WOW! DH does trust your judgement wholeheartedly ever since WL CL They would love it, I am head over heels for Bay Lake Maybe a split stay....I am saving $$$ by doing Pop (even though my mechanic is reaping the benefit of that...)

Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #37
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see all your children in your signature and I can certainly see why an in-room meal would be so appealing, especially with their age variances. It must have been nice for you to have both the bar and banquette to sit and eat or the living room or even balcony. You must have made great use of the washer/dryer.

Did your children use the Community Hall? When I went in to take photos, it was empty. There was one CM working there and no children. It looked liked the perfect haven on a rainy day or in between activities. Everything was so neat and inviting - I wanted to hang out there
Yes, we are quite the crew The full kitchen and the washer/dryer was priceless to us. I washed a load every single day! As for eating, we did use all the eating places. We do not have a bar at home so that was the coveted spot that my kids were after.

My oldest two did go to the community hall on our last day there while we attended a DVC presentation. They were only in there for about an hour, but seemed to enjoy themselves. They played video games I think. There were other kids in there also. Mine probably would have liked to hang out there more had I remembered it was even there

We just had the best stay there. I really hope we can stay there again next time

me , dh , dd14 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #38
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Finished......now for the questions

So.....would you do a villa again??? Another location??? How does it compare to a deluxe room?? Perhaps that might be like comparing apples to oranges You hear so many people say that once you stay in a villa, it's hard to go back to a regular room. Did yall utilize the kitchen at all? When we're on vacation, I try NOT to cook...just wondering if you
Heather
Ok if I weigh in too? Like some of you, we started with the villas years ago because we were coming with toddlers and grandparents and needed the nap space and the kitchen to prepare their breakfast and lunch. Now with teens we just flat out need space, DD2 is 5 foot 10.
We have been spoiled by the villa- we consider a deluxe, but know we would miss the kitchen. We do usually eat one big meal/ADR out and a snack/counter service, but we always always get to the parks early and having a big breakfast with the kitchen works great for us! This is the first time we've paid " rack" for the villas, we usually rent points, but hey, as I said its a splurge and probably the last " peak week" will ever have to do!

Quote:
It is worth it and your family will love it. Your trips are going to take on a whole new meaning when it's just you and DH - you might just get some treasured 'bench time'

l.
Thanks! We are really looking forward to this trip. We've been doing a lot of international travel with the girls and our last Orlando trip was 2 years ago- and we went to the other park "which shall not be named", and stayed there. While we loved the HP park, we just missed Disney. My kids were not impressed with IOA, outside of Potter.
And yes, I was just saying to DH next time we go I want to go to the Epcot food and wine for a long weekend, stay at BW, and just wander...heavenly!
Thanks for sharing your pics- DDs are really psyched up now!
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #39
WDWKOOK

Quote:
We had a 2 Bedroom at Kidani and it was HUGMUNGOUS !!!! Made pancakes for the kiddos, awesome pool! We did a resort only stay...kinda like heather did

But WOW! DH does trust your judgement wholeheartedly ever since WL CL They would love it, I am head over heels for Bay Lake Maybe a split stay....I am saving $$$ by doing Pop (even though my mechanic is reaping the benefit of that...)
Gee, I forgot you already stayed at Kidani, so ignore what I said. BLT is my definite recommendation for Familia Pas. That BBQ area has the most amazing view. You could buy frozen waffles and lunchmeat at Fantasia and grill them by the lake!!!

I lucked out with DD and DH loving BLT, but now they prefer it over any CL. I even reminded DH that it costs a bit more for BLT than WL/CL, but that didn't matter to him. What have I done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygoboston View Post
Ok if I weigh in too? Like some of you, we started with the villas years ago because we were coming with toddlers and grandparents and needed the nap space and the kitchen to prepare their breakfast and lunch. Now with teens we just flat out need space, DD2 is 5 foot 10.
We have been spoiled by the villa- we consider a deluxe, but know we would miss the kitchen. We do usually eat one big meal/ADR out and a snack/counter service, but we always always get to the parks early and having a big breakfast with the kitchen works great for us! This is the first time we've paid " rack" for the villas, we usually rent points, but hey, as I said its a splurge and probably the last " peak week" will ever have to do!

Thanks! We are really looking forward to this trip. We've been doing a lot of international travel with the girls and our last Orlando trip was 2 years ago- and we went to the other park "which shall not be named", and stayed there. While we loved the HP park, we just missed Disney. My kids were not impressed with IOA, outside of Potter.
And yes, I was just saying to DH next time we go I want to go to the Epcot food and wine for a long weekend, stay at BW, and just wander...heavenly!
Thanks for sharing your pics- DDs are really psyched up now!
I'm glad that everyone is psyched. Ouch! Rack rate?! So there aren't any public discounts available for your dates, not even FD? You can apply applicable discounts to any cash reservation at any time, so be on the lookout so you can try and apply them before arrival. Mousesavers and the DIS are great resources for all the current discounts.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #40
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Great collection of photos! I'm going to move the to the Resort Photos and Videos board so folks looking for BLT pics can find it more easily.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #41
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Gee, I forgot you already stayed at Kidani, so ignore what I said. BLT is my definite recommendation for Familia Pas. That BBQ area has the most amazing view. You could buy frozen waffles and lunchmeat at Fantasia and grill them by the lake!!!

I lucked out with DD and DH loving BLT, but now they prefer it over any CL. I even reminded DH that it costs a bit more for BLT than WL/CL, but that didn't matter to him. What have I done?

I'm glad that everyone is psyched. Ouch! Rack rate?! So there aren't any public discounts available for your dates, not even FD? You can apply applicable discounts to any cash reservation at any time, so be on the lookout so you can try and apply them before arrival. Mousesavers and the DIS are great resources for all the current discounts.
Yeah, what can we do...it's Presidents week. I get both Dis and MS emails, so I keep watching, but every year this week is always excluded. It was still cheaper than even 2 moderate rooms, and we weren't ready to stay at a value, since we have such a short visit we want a very accessible location. So as our local nfl coach says:"it is what it is!"
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #42
Janet B
DIS Veteran

Hi Kook

Great review and love all the pictures! You always do a nice job with the presentation of your pictures in your reviews and on your FAQ threads

I've always been interested in CR and now BLT and with the one bedroom sleeping 5 (for DS and DD for separate sleeping) ... its a nice option for us. Plus DH and DS would like the decor.

Like the fire pit ... did you use it? .... the pool seemed nice .. is the water slide a good one?

I know my DD would like having her private bathroom ... she would probably commandeer it and tell her brother to use ours!

Now you have created a problem for yourself with DD wanting to stay at BLT .... will you be splitting with your fav WL on every trip now??

Check out the Grooviest FAQ thread here: Pop Century FAQ Thread

TY Kook!
Janet B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #43
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

It seems like u had a great time Kook. Thanks for the pics, and info...

Will be staying in a studio for a mere 2 days prior to our friends & us gathering over at AKL, so I'm soo looking forward to this..

1 question though. We'll be there Apr.5th - 7th. I read somewhere that Cali Grill might be closed for renovations...Anyone have news on this...Would love to eat here while we stay at BLT

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #44
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:

SO I mentioned BLT to DH and he said he's proud of me for thinking logically He thinks logically, W/D, kitchen, space, me giving up CL....I am thinking CASTLE BAY LAKE CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE

Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #45
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygoboston View Post
Yeah, what can we do...it's Presidents week. I get both Dis and MS emails, so I keep watching, but every year this week is always excluded. It was still cheaper than even 2 moderate rooms, and we weren't ready to stay at a value, since we have such a short visit we want a very accessible location. So as our local nfl coach says:"it is what it is!"
Disney should love you and give you some of this on your next trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet B View Post
Hi Kook

Great review and love all the pictures! You always do a nice job with the presentation of your pictures in your reviews and on your FAQ threads

I've always been interested in CR and now BLT and with the one bedroom sleeping 5 (for DS and DD for separate sleeping) ... its a nice option for us. Plus DH and DS would like the decor.

Like the fire pit ... did you use it? .... the pool seemed nice .. is the water slide a good one?

I know my DD would like having her private bathroom ... she would probably commandeer it and tell her brother to use ours!

Now you have created a problem for yourself with DD wanting to stay at BLT .... will you be splitting with your fav WL on every trip now??
Nice to see you over here, Janet

We didn't use the fire pit. DD and I tried the slide and it was a good one, but the pool did feel rather small and crowded compared with CR. I loved the beach area though - very peaceful. DD and I really don't like crowds, so the shores of Bay Lake is our preferred location

My WDW crystal ball is a little fuzzy now and can't seem to accurately predict my WDW resort future. I may need to get back to you on that.

When were you thinking about a BLT stay? Have you stayed at other villas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
It seems like u had a great time Kook. Thanks for the pics, and info...

Will be staying in a studio for a mere 2 days prior to our friends & us gathering over at AKL, so I'm soo looking forward to this..

1 question though. We'll be there Apr.5th - 7th. I read somewhere that Cali Grill might be closed for renovations...Anyone have news on this...Would love to eat here while we stay at BLT
You're welcome, DizDaD7. CA Grill will be closing at the beginning of February, so unfortunately it will be closed when you're there.

Quote:
SO I mentioned BLT to DH and he said he's proud of me for thinking logically He thinks logically, W/D, kitchen, space, me giving up CL....I am thinking CASTLE BAY LAKE CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE
Which is it going to be? Two one-bedrooms...one BLV and one MKV?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: