Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Does purchasing an annual pass mean we can never get a dining plan (or free dining)?

We're planning to get annual passes, but it occurred to me that if we do we'll always have to book room-only versus booking room-and-ticket packages. And as far as I know, the dining plan is only ever offered with the packages.

Which means that if free dining is offered again this fall, we won't be able to take advantage of it. Is this correct?
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
We're planning to get annual passes, but it occurred to me that if we do we'll always have to book room-only versus booking room-and-ticket packages. And as far as I know, the dining plan is only ever offered with the packages.

Which means that if free dining is offered again this fall, we won't be able to take advantage of it. Is this correct?
You can get the paid dining plan with an AP, it becomes a ticketless package. You can get it with an AP discount room.

Free dining, you would still have to buy a 2 day MYW ticket. You can hold that ticket and apply it to your next AP renewal (or new purchase).
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
You can get the paid dining plan with an AP, it becomes a ticketless package. You can get it with an AP discount room.

Free dining, you would still have to buy a 2 day MYW ticket. You can hold that ticket and apply it to your next AP renewal (or new purchase).
Thank you, this is helpful! Would both of us need to buy 2 day MYW tickets to make us both eligible for free dining? And why is it 2 days, versus 1 day tickets? Is that just the minimum to qualify?

I guess, if it's offered in December, we'd just have to compare the relative cost of paying for a dining plan with an AP discount room, or getting MYW packages with free dining and using the extra tickets to pay down the next years' APs.

This is kind of exciting, because this may be the first December we travel down in which free dining is even offered. (Oh, I hope it is!) I've always wanted to try the dining plan, but it's never been practical.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
tiggore91
Tiggore91

Quote:
Thank you, this is helpful! Would both of us need to buy 2 day MYW tickets to make us both eligible for free dining? And why is it 2 days, versus 1 day tickets? Is that just the minimum to qualify?

I guess, if it's offered in December, we'd just have to compare the relative cost of paying for a dining plan with an AP discount room, or getting MYW packages with free dining and using the extra tickets to pay down the next years' APs.

This is kind of exciting, because this may be the first December we travel down in which free dining is even offered. (Oh, I hope it is!) I've always wanted to try the dining plan, but it's never been practical.
2 days is just the minimum to qualify.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for free dining, it has yet to be offered this year to the public.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggore91 View Post

I wouldn't get my hopes up for free dining, it has yet to be offered this year to the public.
Still hopeful, but it would be just my luck that the one year it's practical, and when we're NOT travelling at the same time as the Pop Warner kids (it's always blacked out when they're there) would be the one year it's not offered.

Still, I'm glad to know that we can add it on to an AP discounted room.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
amandals2007
DIS Veteran

Wink

Quote:

awe i think they will for the fall, its the slowest time of the year! im holding out hope because ill be there in dec!
**5 visits off premise Disney World 96-00**Disney Land-01**Off Premise WDW-02**Disney Cruise Summer-03**Off Premise WDW -Summer 04**Friends Time Share WDW-Thanksgiving 05**Port Orleans F.Q. Thanksgiving-06**P.O.F.Q-Aug 07**P.O.F.Q. August 08**DisneyLand-May 09**P.O.F.Q.-August 09**P.O.F.Q.-August 2010**Disney Land-June 2011**P.O.F.Q.-September 2011**Disney Land-July 2012**P.O.F.Q-December 2012**P.O.F.Q.-Sept 2013**

**Next Trip-P.O.F.Q.-Sept 2014**
amandals2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
tiggore91
Tiggore91

We went last year from Nov 29-Dec 8th. Thankfully free dining ended Nov 29th, so we got it for our entire stay!! Don't get me wrong, I really, really, really hope they announce free dining as we are going this year in early September. It would save us about $800!!! But from what I have been seeing with the discounts, the days of free dining might be over.

Let's all just hope and pray though!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Depending on where you stay, the room discount can often be a better deal than free dining, which requires a full-priced package (especially with just two people in the room).

They've chipped away at the dining plan so much that it's often a chore just to break even. Remember when it used to include appetizer AND tips?
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
amandals2007
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHSweb79 View Post
Depending on where you stay, the room discount can often be a better deal than free dining, which requires a full-priced package (especially with just two people in the room).

They've chipped away at the dining plan so much that it's often a chore just to break even. Remember when it used to include appetizer AND tips?
You are right it's not as good anymore but we still save soooo much on the dining plan because we eat at the more expensive restaurants and get things we wouldn't normally get. We always end out ahead with the plan. Save every receipt and do the math
**5 visits off premise Disney World 96-00**Disney Land-01**Off Premise WDW-02**Disney Cruise Summer-03**Off Premise WDW -Summer 04**Friends Time Share WDW-Thanksgiving 05**Port Orleans F.Q. Thanksgiving-06**P.O.F.Q-Aug 07**P.O.F.Q. August 08**DisneyLand-May 09**P.O.F.Q.-August 09**P.O.F.Q.-August 2010**Disney Land-June 2011**P.O.F.Q.-September 2011**Disney Land-July 2012**P.O.F.Q-December 2012**P.O.F.Q.-Sept 2013**

**Next Trip-P.O.F.Q.-Sept 2014**
amandals2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's certainly possible that I am incorrect, but I don't think that you can take the AP room discount and get free dining.

Quote:
We went last year from Nov 29-Dec 8th. Thankfully free dining ended Nov 29th, so we got it for our entire stay!!
As I understand it, as long as your first day falls within the free dining period, you get free dining for the entire trip. Alternatively, if you arrive the day before free dining starts, 'no soup for you' for the entire trip. (Although in that situation, I would do a separate reservation for that first day so I could get free dining for the rest.)
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I really, really, really hope they announce free dining as we are going this year in early September. It would save us about $800!!! But from what I have been seeing with the discounts, the days of free dining might be over.

Let's all just hope and pray though!!!
One theory is that even though 'free dining' might not be offered that they will offer other package deals which include dining and result in similar savings. This might be their answer to the two-day ticket workaround.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
addicted2dizney
DIS Veteran

Quote:

ahhh those were the days! They even allowed a full sized box of entemans donuts at the food court to be used as a snack credit! I miss those days!

Just heard a travel segment on one of the travel shows and they truly doubt that free dining would be offered this year due to the amount of money invested in the park with New Fantasyland. I was hoping for FD as well.. I have an AP but have a ten day package booked now with a 2 day base ticket in place just in the event the offer it.
addicted2dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
ElizabethG
When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!

Don't forget that with an AP you can buy a TIW card. With that and a room discount, you can save much more. You even save on your adult beverages.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Still hopeful, but it would be just my luck that the one year it's practical, and when we're NOT travelling at the same time as the Pop Warner kids (it's always blacked out when they're there) would be the one year it's not offered.

Just to clarify, you would not be able to add free dining onto an already discounted room. You can't stack discounts. You could pay for dining.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
kgsmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Ah, yes. We haven't gotten a dining plan since then. We've found the TIW card to be much more of a savings for us. We got three trips (March 2012, August 2012, and March 2013) with one card!

kgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Who are these non-public people that were offered free dining? j/k

I assume that what you meant is that 'bounce back' offers for 2013 free dining were made, but it hasn't been opened up as a regular offer.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: