Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #46
DitkaFan
Mouseketeer

Back in August I started c25k with the hopes of running the CC5k on our Feb 9th Fantasy Cruise. I got 4 weeks in and get really sick (there is a bad flu/upper respiratory infection bug going around). I was so drained from the bug that I haven't been to the gym since the 1st week of Sept. I am just finally starting to feel back to normal and finally getting over whatever I had. I am starting up again with c25k (at week 1) this coming Monday. I am very much looking forward to it! My goal is to finish the CC5K in under 30 minutes. Not a huge goal I know, but one that I personally would be proud of.

2014 - Jan: 7 day RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
2013 - Spring:3 days at Art of Animation in Disney World followed by 7 days Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean and Fall: 5 days at Port Orleans in WDW
2012 - 6 days at All Star Music in Disney World followed by 4 days Disney Dream Bahamas
2011 - 3 days Disney Dream Bahamas followed by 3 days at the Polynesian WDW
DitkaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #47
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

I'd love to run the 5K when we cruise (whenever that is, lol). This may be a dumb question, but is there childcare available on Castaway Cay? I'm a single parent, and my kids are totally NOT runners so having them run with me won't work.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Also, I've seen a post that mentioned brutal heat. Is it always brutally hot/humid in mid-August? Ugh, I really wanted to run but maybe the heat will be a deal-breaker.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #48
Havok
Earning My Ears

I did the CT5K several years ago and got addicted to running. I've ran quite a few 5K's since then and plan to do my first Disney run on our cruise in 2weeks, Oct13th.

Great job on the CT5K, running isn't hard. If you stick with it, which I hope you do make sure you take care of your legs. Stretching is very import. I'm learning the hard way that if you plan to continue running you need to make sure you work all your leg muscles out. I'm in my 4th week of Physical Therapy working on leg strength. So take care of yourself when you run!

Anyone else going to running that week?
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #49
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew
I'd love to run the 5K when we cruise (whenever that is, lol). This may be a dumb question, but is there childcare available on Castaway Cay? I'm a single parent, and my kids are totally NOT runners so having them run with me won't work.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Also, I've seen a post that mentioned brutal heat. Is it always brutally hot/humid in mid-August? Ugh, I really wanted to run but maybe the heat will be a deal-breaker.
Compared to Chicago, yes it's brutally hot. Compared to Houston and Florida its not terrible.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #50
Flasailors
Earning My Ears

Hi there- Great thread! We are going on our first Disney cruise on the Dream, 11/11. I may be interested in the CC5k. It would be my first 5k as well. Can someone please tell me some of the basics, like - do you sign up in advance, is there a fee, what time does it start, are the kids' clubs open at that time too? Thanks so much!
Flasailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #51
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasailors View Post
Hi there- Great thread! We are going on our first Disney cruise on the Dream, 11/11. I may be interested in the CC5k. It would be my first 5k as well. Can someone please tell me some of the basics, like - do you sign up in advance, is there a fee, what time does it start, are the kids' clubs open at that time too? Thanks so much!
Show up that morning.
It's free (but the t-shirt is not)

what I used to train for my first 5K. Free plans and information on running:
http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/first5K.htm
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #52
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

I am hoping to do it on the Oct 21-25 cruise. I have recently lost close to 50 pounds eaten more healthy and this has been my goal. I can not run very far as I do more walking than running. I just want to do it for me and the medal.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #53
HaliGirl
Earning My Ears

The CC5K also inspired me to start a running program. I plan on running it on our Fantasy cruise in March. My sister will be joining me.

I was completely out-of-shape so started with C25K. I'm quite amazed at how far I've been able to progress. If all goes well, we've (my sister and I) decided to celebrate my 40th b-day year by running the Tinkerbell Half-Marathon at Disneyland in 2014.

December 2008 All Star Movies
Sept-Oct 2010 Port Orleans Riverside

HaliGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #54
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliGirl
The CC5K also inspired me to start a running program. I plan on running it on our Fantasy cruise in March. My sister will be joining me.

I was completely out-of-shape so started with C25K. I'm quite amazed at how far I've been able to progress. If all goes well, we've (my sister and I) decided to celebrate my 40th b-day year by running the Tinkerbell Half-Marathon at Disneyland in 2014.
That's cool. The Princess Half inspired me to start running. I actually ended up doing halfs here in Texas and the cc5k but looking at the logistics of the Princess half (I do not want to stand around in a pen for one or two hours before a half, that's ridiculous when the Livestrong half in Austin doesn't require near that early of a start but serves nearly as many runners.)
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #55
thinktink87
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliGirl

Tinker bell half is my dream!!
thinktink87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #56
FAIREST1OFALL
DVC Member, DL and WDW AP, DCL newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdiscruises View Post
FYI, on our August cruise they were strict about age...I want to say it was 12 or 13 and up. My 9 year old wasn't allowed to participate.
Oh, this is so disappointing. DS6 is going to be crushed! He ran the Neverland 5K over Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend in January and he just ran the Carsland 5K last month. He will have a very hard time understanding that he's not allowed to run a Disney 5K. He's fast, I can barely keep up with him.
FAIREST1OFALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #57
S'sMom
DIS Veteran

I am training for my first Castaway Cay 5k for June 2013. I'm glad that there is this thread to go to :-)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #58
SageFemme
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdiscruises View Post
FYI, on our August cruise they were strict about age...I want to say it was 12 or 13 and up. My 9 year old wasn't allowed to participate.
That is very upsetting, my daughter who will be 9 when we go wanted to run with me. Since it'll be just us two going I guess I have to cross that off my list

Sept. 1998 - Last minute, 3 day (did not get to visit AK), off site, childhood trip.
2006 - Disneyland
May 2010 - Off site, last minute (no AK or Epcot) trip.
August 2011 - Disneyland
Sept. 19-24, 2011 at Pop Century w/ MNSSHP
May 10-18, 2013 - DCL Magic from Galveston
June 22-29, 2014 - RCCL Freedom of the Seas
Dec. 18-24, 2014 - WDW w/ MVMCP
SageFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #59
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIREST1OFALL
Oh, this is so disappointing. DS6 is going to be crushed! He ran the Neverland 5K over Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend in January and he just ran the Carsland 5K last month. He will have a very hard time understanding that he's not allowed to run a Disney 5K. He's fast, I can barely keep up with him.
My son is exactly in the same situation. I figure he'll walk down with me and try to run with me. (DS6 does our local 5ks)
DH will be there to watch cheer. If they pull my banditting kid from running unregistered, we'll both drop out. If he does run unregistered, I'm happy to give him my bib/etc afterwards.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #60
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Welcome to all the new 5Kers!

I just finished week 7 of C25K today.

We can do this!!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: