Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
SouthernTaz
DDC #???

Dinner with out kids - sorta Anniversary

We have a trip the week of Thanksgiving, our 15 anniversary is 2 weeks before.... We have some tag along adults that are going to keep the kids for one night...

I have reservations for us at 2 places...
7:30 for both
California Grill
Artist Pointe

What would you do? Any other suggestions?

Me - : DW - DD11 (Savanny/Sanny) - DD8 (Cloie/Bo) - DD8(Claire/ClaireBear)
SouthernTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Quin
DIS Veteran

Cali Grill gives you the bonus of the fireworks view/observation deck BUT for that very reason is more popular with families who are bringing kids, so it tends to be a higher energy environment. AP is generally more quiet and I would call it the more 'romantic' of the two.

But both are good choices and a lot of it comes down to your food style preference. Also, if you have been to Cali Grill in the past and have some specific favorite dish there you might want to go have it one more time, because in early 2012 it's supposed to close for a pretty big refurb and that raises a good possibility of a bigger menu change as well.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

Ditto - we love Cali Grill.

Nice ambiance - bring a camera for the views and get a picture taken of the two of you.
We ate there for our 27 anniversary. OOP
2 TS or expect at least $75 a person for a shared appetizer, glass of wine, entree and shared dessert.
What we ate:
Shushi - Tuna Three Ways = $23
Oak-fired Filet of Beef - horseradish whipped potatoes, heirloom baby rainbow carrots, teriyaki barbecue $47
Gianduja Mousse with Cocoa Nib Tuile - hazelnuts, cappuccino Anglaise, and Bailey's ice cream $12
2 glasses of wine = ?
plus tip
Enjoy
Old 09-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

We didn't have a great experiance at AP. We went for the buffalo steak and when we got there it was not on the menu. The buffalo short ribs were,but that was not what DS and DH were looking for. Also DS was sick the whole next day. Can' t say for sure it was AP but......Never been to CG. I am way too picky for this place!!! But I will throw YS into the mix. It is very quiet. Great steaks. A very nice place for a quiet dinner for 2 IMO!!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Are you on the dining plan? Is there some reason why you picked those two?
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Of the 2, clearly California Grill.

But Pakeys question is a good one--there are better restaurants for an "anniversary" than these 2.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Z
But I will throw YS into the mix. It is very quiet. Great steaks. A very nice place for a quiet dinner for 2 IMO!!
2nd for YS! Great steak, and great atmosphere for romantic dinner for two. We would return here anytime!

Sent from my HTC HERO CM7.1 using the DISBoards App

"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."

skriegerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Tricx
Earning My Ears

I 3rd US! My Hubby any I went there for our 10th anniversary dinner. It was quiet even tho there were lots of people. The food was good. Our server was really nice. I think she was more excited about our anniversary than we were!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
Tricx
Earning My Ears

Sorry. YS. Lol
Old 09-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
SouthernTaz
DDC #???

Not on dining plan... and These were 2 i could get in to.... I am open for suggestions....

Me - : DW - DD11 (Savanny/Sanny) - DD8 (Cloie/Bo) - DD8(Claire/ClaireBear)
SouthernTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

If you are open to suggestions - try Blue Zoo or any of the other 'Signatures at Swan & Dolphin.

It is/They are not part of Disney Dining, so there are fewer crowds that interfere with an adult celebration.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTaz View Post
Not on dining plan... and These were 2 i could get in to.... I am open for suggestions....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCubed View Post
If you are open to suggestions - try Blue Zoo or any of the other 'Signatures at Swan & Dolphin.

It is/They are not part of Disney Dining, so there are fewer crowds that interfere with an adult celebration.
Agreed. I would look in to Bluezoo and Il Mulino. Both have great atmosphere and outstanding food, and you shouldn't have trouble getting in to either.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTaz
Top choice is always V&A.

I would pick any of the 3 at the Swan/Dolphin hotels as they are definitely more adult.

My favorite is Bluezoo but Il Mulino and Shulas are also excellent.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: