Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Cupcakes at Contempo Cafe

I've seen pictures and they look delicious, but pictures can be deceiving. Anyone BTDT and want to offer opinions?

I ask because we'll be at Disney on my daughter's birthday (2nd year in a row). Last year, I ordered a fancy cake from the Contemporary bakery, and while it was beautiful and delicious, it was huge and so much of it was wasted (and I LOVE LOVE LOVE cake!), and my daughter was so exhausted at the end of the day that we didn't even end up eating it until the next day. All in all, not worth the price we paid for a fancy cake. We told her that this year we're just going to get a special cupcake for her to eat on her birthday. We're staying at BLT, so the Contempo Cafe is the most convenient location. Our park that day will be DHS, so grabbing one at Starring Rolls is another possibility, but I'm wondering which place has the better cupcake.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

Just a suggestion, if you're passing by Boardwalk Bakery they have this really cute miniature Mickey cake for sale all the time (no need to order in advance). It is actually pretty good, it was DD's bday cake when we were there on her 2nd bday as well

She demolished the whole thing by herself

here's a picture link: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/1...mores-cupcake/
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
justcruisin

The caramel leche cupcake I had a few years goes on near the top of the "best things I ever ate" list. EVER.

VWL/BCV December 2013, Just for the decorations and the food!
NCL Gem February 2013
SSR/BWV November 2012, F&WF and a Half Marathon!
BCV November 2011 F&WF
ALK/BLT September 2009
CCL Glory February 2009
BWV November 2008
POP/BWV August 2007
NCL Dawn February 2007
VWL January 2006
RCCL Explorer 2005
Disney Magic/VB July 2004
BCV July 2003
VWL March 2002
DVC Members 2001
Disney Wonder July 2001
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
danicaca
Mouseketeer

These were the cupcakes we enjoyed:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
While they were good, they were not the "best I have ever had." I am a frosting gal, and while it looked like a lot of frosting, the top was actually a lot of cake. I was a little let down by this, but otherwise they were good! I have been thinking of getting a cake for DD on our trip, as her birthday falls during our trip, but a cupcake would make a lot more sense! I am sure the cake would just go to waste! I have never been to Starring Rolls, but am looking forward to trying a cupcake there this time! the Disney Food Blog had a great post about cupcakes at DW that you might want to check out. Good luck!
No countdown for now, but a trip in December of this year or perhaps next is in the works - woo hoo!
danicaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Mr. Pig
I picked Monorail Coral so that it won't be lonely

We really like the black forrest cupcakes. Good combination of cake, frosting and filling and not dry. If we are staying at any monorail resort we will make a stop to get one.
In between - Too many times to count
Mr. Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

I was on the search for cupcakes on our visit last week and found that CR had several cupcakes. One day I was in there to look, planning on coming back the next day to buy a certain one, and it had been replaced! I did get a red velvet (my all-time fave cupcake) and found it to be not as good as the same kind from HS (at Starring Rolls bakery). Moral of the story, not all like cupcakes ARE alike!! My favorite cupcake this visit was the lemon ginger I got at Captain Cook's at the Poly. They also had one of these at WL in Roaring Forks. Your DD might like the black forest as mentioned above or the Oreo.
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin View Post
The caramel leche cupcake I had a few years goes on near the top of the "best things I ever ate" list. EVER.
Me too, seriously. Best cupcake EVER. BY FAR.

Bad news, though -- they don't have it any more.

They replaced it with a chocolate peanut butter cup cupcake that was good, but not the caramel tres leches awesomeness.

Overall to the OP -- yes, I think your daughter will be fine with the cupcakes at Contempo Cafe. If anything, they do run on the sweet side, my wife doesn't like them too much because of that. I like them a lot, though, and I think kids usually like sweet!
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

I've had the Black Forest and the Red Velvet at Comtempo and they're both great.
EpcotBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
1mama2three
Mouseketeer

We had the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake at the Contempo for the first time during our trip in May 2012. Our entire family LOVED it, so we ended up making several return visits during our trip. Even better, we stopped there on our way out of town to use up the rest of our snack credits and we got a couple of these for the ride home.
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

Here's a pic of the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake!

We ate at the Contempo for dinner one night, & I was hoping to try the Tres Leche cupcake. Alas, DH & I had to settle for this one!

It was wonderful!

There's a peanut butter ganache inside the cake that tastes like homemade peanut butter pie.

DH claims that this cupcake was his favorite dessert of our entire 10 day trip!

They are also huge - I couldn't finish mine & saved half for later in our room.

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 4 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
1mama2three
Mouseketeer

Ahh...the memories. My mouth is watering just looking at that picture. I really need to make a trip back soon.
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy31 View Post

We ate at the Contempo for dinner one night, & I was hoping to try the Tres Leche cupcake. Alas, DH & I had to settle for this one!

It was wonderful!

There's a peanut butter ganache inside the cake that tastes like homemade peanut butter pie.

DH claims that this cupcake was his favorite dessert of our entire 10 day trip!

They are also huge - I couldn't finish mine & saved half for later in our room.
I think my daughter would die and go to heaven if that showed up in our room on her birthday. Thanks for the pic!
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy31 View Post
Wowza! Wonder how it compares to my beloved Starring Rolls PB & Chocolate cupcake? I guess a visit to Contempo Cafe might be in order.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
wdwpirates
Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

I didn't care for the black forest cupcake...I found the filling overly sweet and syrupy. How about taking her over to MK at the Main Street Bakery and letting her pick one there. They have a much better selection and it's SO close to your resort!!!

wdwpirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

On our trip last month I let the girls have one treat a day. Once DD discovered this chocolate peanut butter cupcake, that was it. All others fell by the wayside! She shared one forkful with me, since I have a peanut butter chocolate passion, it was sinfully good.
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve;
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: