Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #16
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Back in 2009, I booked a flight with Spirit (DTW-MCO). They changed the schedule three times, resulting in a 6-hour difference from what I'd originally booked. I called, fully expecting to be told "no refunds", and politely told them that the 6-hour change would not work for my itinerary. They apologized and issued a full refund. I used it to rebook AirTran which ended up cheaper anyways. I fully believe the horror stories about Spirit's customer service, but my experience was a pleasant one.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
lizzytizzy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyL View Post
Call spirit and ask. I'm not sure what their policy is, but our JetBlue flights were changed and since it was more than a 3 hour difference we were able to have our flights changed without charge. It's worth calling and asking what can be done.
My only piece of advice: be calm and ask nicely if anything can be done.
I'm not as computer savvy as any of you here. But, how did you find out that your Jetblue flight got changed? Did they email you? I booked a Jetblue flight at the end of November and was wondering. Thanks!
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Melissabo
Mouseketeer

I'm not are about Jet Blue but Spirit sent me an email informing me of the change. Also when logging in to their site the change is listed. Last spring I went to Mexico and Air Tran changed flight time leaving mexico a few hours earlier and I only knew when I went online at the resort to confirm our flights.
Melissabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #19
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

I hope they can refund you OP. How frustrating. My husband flew Spirit out of AC in June (kids and I flew out of Harrisburgh Pa). He HATED it. He said he'd never fly spirit again. It was our first experience with them. yuck

Keep us posted..crossing my fingers for you!!!
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #20
bianca
DIS Veteran

OP ...... Same thing happened to us. They went from 3 scheduled flights down to 1, changing our flight schedule. Instead of arriving at 11 am, we are arriving at 5 pm. We were unable to acquire another day at our DVC, so it is pointless to come in a day earlier to gain back vacation time. I can't really blame them, though, as I flew last week with them and had a half empty plane from Ft. Launderdale ..... Not a good way to stay in business. In addition, I think most of the changes they made affect people flying on Tuesday and Wednesday, which are slow. My kids are flying in the day after me (Thursday) and they are not affected.

For what it's worth, my December flight was only $58 each way and I carry a personal bag only since I have an Owners Locker in Orlando. Simply, I can live with the slight inconvenience for the price!
6/78-offsite. And most of the rest at "The Fort" ....... 11/95, 2/97, 11/97, 12/97, 2/98, 11/98, 12/98, 2/99, 11/99, 12/99, 12/2000, 10/2001, 5/2002, 12/2002, 2/2003, 10/2003, 2/2004, 12/2004, 11/2005, 10/2006, 12/2006, 8/2007, 10/2007 (Saratoga), 12/2007, 3/2008 (HHI), 10/2009 (HHI), 11/2009, 10/2010 (OKW), 9/11 (AKV), 10/11 (AKV), 2/12 (BLT), 9/12 (VB), 12/12 (AKV) , 2/13 (AKV) 5/13 (VB), 10/13 (AKV), 1/14 (SSR), 5/14 (Aulani) and 11/14 (AKV)!
bianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

What a nightmare! Good luck to you!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
M5ward
When You Wish Upon A Star...

We were on a 9:35 pm Spirit flight out of MCO on Monday, Dec. 3. That flight is now cancelled, and we are scheduled to fly out at 10:40 am on Dec. 3. So, in effect, we lose the entire last day at WDW. We are also flying into Atlantic City. I called and they told me I could fly out on a late flight on Dec. 4, but Disney could not accommodate us without having to change resorts for one night. Sorry but that's too much hassle. When checking Spirit's scheduling, it appears that they have made changes to their schedule for a two week period in early December then the schedule reverts back. We fly to MCO on Spirit three times a year, usually Monday to Monday and have never had an issue. Needless to say, I am ticked off...that last day is just for us as our kids usually leave early on the last day...now we'll be out of there before them.
We also lost our seat assignments for which I had paid extra..had to request the refund for that, they didn't offer even when I pointed it out to the heavily accented customer service rep.
If this happens again, I'll just suck it up and fly out of Philly or Baltimore on another airline. I love ACY because it's small and only fifteen minutes from home...I just wish there were options to Spirit.

Nov., 1981 (CR),Nov., 1983 (CR),Dec., 1994 (off-site),Jan., 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), Jan., 2007 (SSR), Nov., 2007 (SSR), Feb., 2008 (BWV), Oct., 2008 (OKW), Jan., 2009 (BWV),Oct., 2009 (BCV), Jan., 2010 (BWV), Oct., 2010 (OKW),Jan., 2011 (BWV), Nov., 2011 (OKW)
Jan., 2012 (BLT),Apr., 2012 (BWV)Nov./Dec.,2012 (BWV), Jan, 2013 (BLT), , Apr, 2013 (BCV)Oct2013(BWV)
M5ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #23
nilseks
DIS Veteran

I had a similar situation with Spirit and it did not end well. They weren't willing to work with me AT ALL. I'm sure it has a lot to do with who you get on the phone and whether they're feeling nice that day. In my case, it was so frustrating b/c their customer service is clearly outsourced and I could barely have a conversation with the rep...couldn't understand what he was saying. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor and the guy was a TOTAL jerk. I hung up and called again--same runaround. I hope you have better luck. As for me, I will not fly with them again. Now that Southwest has lots of flights out of Milwaukee, I'm sticking with them.

Also, that's a great rate you got with Thrifty! We're going 12/1-12/4 and I have yet to find a good rate, other than Advantage. I got a midsize for the week for $133 including taxes/fees from Advantage but I'm afraid to use them due to the really awful reviews.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #24
Melissabo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5ward
We were on a 9:35 pm Spirit flight out of MCO on Monday, Dec. 3. That flight is now cancelled, and we are scheduled to fly out at 10:40 am on Dec. 3. So, in effect, we lose the entire last day at WDW. We are also flying into Atlantic City. I called and they told me I could fly out on a late flight on Dec. 4, but Disney could not accommodate us without having to change resorts for one night. Sorry but that's too much hassle. When checking Spirit's scheduling, it appears that they have made changes to their schedule for a two week period in early December then the schedule reverts back. We fly to MCO on Spirit three times a year, usually Monday to Monday and have never had an issue. Needless to say, I am ticked off...that last day is just for us as our kids usually leave early on the last day...now we'll be out of there before them.
We also lost our seat assignments for which I had paid extra..had to request the refund for that, they didn't offer even when I pointed it out to the heavily accented customer service rep.
If this happens again, I'll just suck it up and fly out of Philly or Baltimore on another airline. I love ACY because it's small and only fifteen minutes from home...I just wish there were options to Spirit.
So did you decide to just keep your changed flight? Did you try to cancel and of so did they offer a refund? I also paid for seats and the row was changed but we have the same seats. That is fine with me as long as we are all together. I'm just concerned about that late flight having an issue. Do you normally take the late flight and have you had any issues?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #25
M5ward
When You Wish Upon A Star...

We always take the late flight and have never had an issue. We were only delayed once and that was because of the plane coming in from Ft. lauderdale. I would have changed to the flight you will be on but there were no DVC rooms available at Boardwalk and I just didn't feel like dealing with more aggravation. I even thought about staying at one of the airport hotels, but that would have meant sitting around all day on Tuesday. They offered to change us to the Tuesday night flight or refund that segment of the trip...but frankly I don't trust their customer service. Besides, I would have had to fly into another airport and arrange transportation home.
Our experience with that late flight (aside from the one delay) is that it is usually boarded and out of MCO on time and into ACY on time or a little early. Luggage is offloaded pretty quickly...no traffic to deal with...so in that regard it's pretty good. No, your husband won't get a ton of sleep ( especially if you have to travel any distance to get home from the airport.) We have done this flight with small grandchildren who slept most of the way home on the plane. Good luck..it's a terrible way to end a wonderful vacation.

Nov., 1981 (CR),Nov., 1983 (CR),Dec., 1994 (off-site),Jan., 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), Jan., 2007 (SSR), Nov., 2007 (SSR), Feb., 2008 (BWV), Oct., 2008 (OKW), Jan., 2009 (BWV),Oct., 2009 (BCV), Jan., 2010 (BWV), Oct., 2010 (OKW),Jan., 2011 (BWV), Nov., 2011 (OKW)
Jan., 2012 (BLT),Apr., 2012 (BWV)Nov./Dec.,2012 (BWV), Jan, 2013 (BLT), , Apr, 2013 (BCV)Oct2013(BWV)
M5ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #26
MAH4546
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca View Post
I can't really blame them, though, as I flew last week with them and had a half empty plane from Ft. Launderdale ..... Not a good way to stay in business.
Spirit is the nation's most profitable airline. It has found an excellent way to stay in business.
MAH4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #27
Melissabo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5ward View Post
We always take the late flight and have never had an issue. We were only delayed once and that was because of the plane coming in from Ft. lauderdale. I would have changed to the flight you will be on but there were no DVC rooms available at Boardwalk and I just didn't feel like dealing with more aggravation. I even thought about staying at one of the airport hotels, but that would have meant sitting around all day on Tuesday. They offered to change us to the Tuesday night flight or refund that segment of the trip...but frankly I don't trust their customer service. Besides, I would have had to fly into another airport and arrange transportation home.
Our experience with that late flight (aside from the one delay) is that it is usually boarded and out of MCO on time and into ACY on time or a little early. Luggage is offloaded pretty quickly...no traffic to deal with...so in that regard it's pretty good. No, your husband won't get a ton of sleep ( especially if you have to travel any distance to get home from the airport.) We have done this flight with small grandchildren who slept most of the way home on the plane. Good luck..it's a terrible way to end a wonderful vacation.
Thanks, I'm debating whether we should just keep it the way it is and stick with the 9:35 p.m. flight. I can deal with leaving at 9:35 pm even though it isn't ideal. I'm more concerned about getting bumped or them canceling at that flight. Also, you mentioned you were not confident that they would refund you if you cancelled. I really don't want to risk canceling then booking with another airline at another airport paying more for that flight and for transportation to the airport and then not getting the refund either. This is frustrating.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilseks View Post
I had a similar situation with Spirit and it did not end well. They weren't willing to work with me AT ALL. I'm sure it has a lot to do with who you get on the phone and whether they're feeling nice that day. In my case, it was so frustrating b/c their customer service is clearly outsourced and I could barely have a conversation with the rep...couldn't understand what he was saying. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor and the guy was a TOTAL jerk. I hung up and called again--same runaround. I hope you have better luck. As for me, I will not fly with them again. Now that Southwest has lots of flights out of Milwaukee, I'm sticking with them.

Also, that's a great rate you got with Thrifty! We're going 12/1-12/4 and I have yet to find a good rate, other than Advantage. I got a midsize for the week for $133 including taxes/fees from Advantage but I'm afraid to use them due to the really awful reviews.
No, it' has to do with the overall environment at Spirit. They are the airline where the CEO responded to an email from a customer saying "we don't do customer service you only fly us because we are cheap" (Yes, that's a paraphrase, but you get the idea!)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilseks View Post
I had a similar situation with Spirit and it did not end well. They weren't willing to work with me AT ALL... I hung up and called again--same runaround.
This is a great point, as the #1 rule for airline customer service is: "If you don't like the answer, hang up and call back until you do get the right answer."

Just keep in mind all airlines are subject to schedule changes. The reason I prefer legacy airlines is that they have partnership agreements with each other, where they will put you on a competitor's flight if absolutely required. The "low cost" airlines won't do this. Personally if I need to be somewhere, then I like having this backup.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
Melissabo
Mouseketeer

I called Spirit, they did offer to move me a day earlier or the next day at my expense for any price difference. He also said they would cancel and give me a credit or a refund for that return flight only. I decided to just keep the late flight and hope we don't get delayed. I wouldn't say their customer service was bad, the person wanted to make me happy but his options just weren't great.

I learned a valuable lesson, I'll fly out of Philadelphia from now on. Even though Atlantic City is small and convenient if there is an issue there is no other airline to switch to:-(

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: