Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #46
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Mea culpa . . . when I wrote
Quote:
Whether the people doing these things are "nice, "polite," or "professional." Is really beside the point. They are loud, "impolite," or otherwise exhibit a prison guard like demeanor, then they only add to the criticism.
I left out a very important word . . . "when". It should have read, Whether the people doing these things are "nice, "polite," or "professional." Is really beside the point. When They are loud, "impolite," or otherwise exhibit a prison guard like demeanor, then they only add to the criticism.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 AM   #47
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Better go back and do some reading.those was blogs and comgress people pulling out press releases.................over and over.............there is as I said 1 sub committee and TSA was invited and attended 2, ok maybe 3 or 4 meeting.

Years of talk.......any law changes???........any reqiurements for chanre to the TSA from comgress.*NO*.

BYE.I see now it was not 381 terminations from the TSA for thief,just terminations, no reason given..........seems your credibility takes another shot! In this case you lied outright.

AKK
You missed the c-span listing of several televised hearings.

You are absolutely wrong, again. I quoted/paraphrased from the TSA blog. "... a total of 381 TSOs have been terminated for theft ..." You can find it here - http://blog.tsa.gov/search?updated-m...max-results=10
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #48
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

This is a sad commentary on TSA's management and training. It's an extraordinary fail rate.

Quote:
Screeners at Newark Liberty International Airport are properly executing standard pat-downs of passengers only 16.7 percent of the time and they identify and take appropriate action on prohibited items in only a quarter of all cases, according to a secret internal report.

The revelations are contained in a document, obtained by The Star-Ledger, titled "PACE Airport Evaluation" and dated June 8. It was compiled by an undercover team of Transportation Security Administration employees from other airports who were asked to observe screeners at work at Newark Liberty.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._shocking.html
Old 10-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #49
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Okay guys...I think the vast majority here can agree that there is a lot of room for improvement within the TSA. A lot of what is done is just theatre..if you will. But, I'm going to watch this thread just to be sure it doesn't go nutty.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #50
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
You missed the c-span listing of several televised hearings.

You are absolutely wrong, again. I quoted/paraphrased from the TSA blog. "... a total of 381 TSOs have been terminated for theft ..." You can find it here - http://blog.tsa.gov/search?updated-m...max-results=10

I have to eat a little crow...............Your right 381 for thief.I was reading another post who stated that....my error and applogy.

Now your parephrasing, but you convently left off the facts in the same paragragh.........that this is .4% not the 1% you *quoted*.........seems you tell only the story that you think supports your story..........in other words.you lied to us all here.....

Now I qoute the article:

***To put theft at TSA in perspective, between May 1, 2003 through September 2012, a total of 381 TSOs have been terminated for theft, which represents less than 1/2 of one percent (0.4%) of officers that have been employed by the agency. This extremely small percentage does not reflect the dedication and professionalism of our workforce as a whole.***

So you proved my point...a *VERY, VERY FEW* bad apples.but anywhere near the *MANY* you keep trying to get people to beleive!

And gee........look a little lower at all the guns, black powder, hand gernades, knifes that the TSA has caught...........funny you couldn't even bring yourself to give the TSA credit when they did well!......

The C-span television was the one listed they often meet more then 1 day, as the congress people need to get lots of camera time to get money any votes. They still didn't do anything at all...no legislatiuon, proposals, changes in the law........just lots of tlak for their own purposes.!................

Keep digging that hole Tripps, your just about over your head now!

AKK
Old 10-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #51
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Mea culpa . . . when I wrote

I left out a very important word . . . "when". It should have read, Whether the people doing these things are "nice, "polite," or "professional." Is really beside the point. When They are loud, "impolite," or otherwise exhibit a prison guard like demeanor, then they only add to the criticism.
Sure you left out the *when*...sure......AKK
Old 10-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #52
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
As I mentioned in my first post of the thread, the TSA has enhanced the effectiveness of the normal security screening process in place before September 2011. They are able to catch many more potential threats just due to Americans not thinking. This is a secondary mandate, which seems to be proven effective.

I agree with an earlier post you made about agents being able to be flexible, but I also think it is important that anyone using judgement should be well versed in the core rules. Unfortunately, the flying public don't even know where to find the TSA's website, let alone know the rules. This causes the agents to get blamed for actions that are well documented, but sometimes they make exceptions to keep the peace. In my opinion, they should stick to the rules as written, and let a manager talk to the flyer if there is a disagreement. While making exceptions has the appearance of providing positive customer service, sometimes it actually causes problems for agents at other times, who try to enforce the rules.

Maybe the TSA checkpoints should have the rules printed and available for flyers who have disagreements. This way, and agent not sure can quickly look it up and will have a document to show the flyer the rules at the point of contention.

Luckily, the TSA is working on a solution to this very problem. The TSA Pre-Check system looks like it may be a winner. The problem is in it's implementation. To keep things random, the TSA is unable to guarantee pre-check qualified flyers the ability to take advantage of the program, so these flyers must still arrive early. At least if they end up not being allowed to zoom through security (like the old days), then they are directed to the front of the next available line. This makes flying a legacy airline with the proper background check complete worth something.

In addition, the senior leadership figured out that elderly and very young people pose a significantly reduced threat, so they are able to keep shoes and coats on. I think this was one of the "wide swath" policies that TSA agents had to carry out, which was initiated by politicians trying to CYA.

The CLEAR system (http://clearme.com/home) is an outstanding study in American's behavioral patterns! Unfortunately, it is only available in a few airports. This service provides per-screening, as well, but requires an annual fee. However, what would American's choose: deal with TSA lines or pay $180/year/person to get security like pre-September 11th? Of course, many won't pay for the convenience, but the option is there. As such, anyone here that does complain about TSA should sign-up for Pre-Check ($50 for NEXUS, $100 for Global Entry) or CLEAR and fly a legacy airline to avoid the scanners, laptop and shoe removal, and whisk through security like the "good old days".

You have pointed out that their are new, better options, so people flying have the choice. If the pat downs and the scanners are a problem for some poeple they have a way out.

The price for the cards is about the same we pay for our secriuty cards .*TWIC*, Transportation worker Identifcation cards*. We need these to get onto Marine terminals and other secure areas. The cost is $160.00 for 5 years. Are you sure its $180.00 per year?

As we said before as time and techno improves, so will the hoops we have to go though for safe flying!

AKK
Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #53
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is a sad commentary on TSA's management and training. It's an extraordinary fail rate.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._shocking.html
Totally correct........this is a major issue.!

Seems that this PACE indentified just what they were intended to......to find problems and set in motion the steps need to correct things!

I hope the action is fast!

AKK
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #54
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Are you sure its $180.00 per year?

As we said before as time and techno improves, so will the hoops we have to go though for safe flying!

AKK
This is from the ClearMe website:
Quote:
Pricing
Standard unlimited annual pricing plan is $179. Corporate rates available. Detailed pricing information will be provided during step 3 of Enrollment.
However if I were regularly flying out of the handful of listed airports, I'd get it. It would be worth the money, IMO.

We watched the new show on the Travel Channel Miami Airport 24/7, and one of the episodes focused on the TSA. Afterwards DW says, "wow, I have a renewed respect for the TSA agents."
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #55
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
This is from the ClearMe website:
However if I were regularly flying out of the handful of listed airports, I'd get it. It would be worth the money, IMO.

We watched the new show on the Travel Channel Miami Airport 24/7, and one of the episodes focused on the TSA. Afterwards DW says, "wow, I have a renewed respect for the TSA agents."
Hi Grey,

I was just wondering if it was 1 year or 5............guess the goberment thinks they can get more money out of passingers!.*G*.

I do agree it is still worth the money if you fly enough and out of those airports. Luckly I don't fly as much as I use to.

I saw that advertized, but I didn't see it...........I will be on the look out for it! There is so much more that goes on behind the scenes and in supporting the agnets working the seciurty lines.

Seems in Newark, TSA does have a problem. Tripps posted the article, and I have to agree with her...........It is a BIG Issue!.......take a look!

AKK
Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #56
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Ok...I think we've talked this one to death. Hate to seem heavy handed, but this discussion really serves no purpose. Head over to Flyertalk and discuss it there. Has no bearing on WDW travel issues.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: