Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
chager
In the end you will feel better about it
I HATED that thing!
There would have to be oxygen waiting for me at the end!

Question Thinking about switching from Verizon to Sprint...I hate these types of decisions!

I am not thrilled with the way Verizon's new pricing plans are set up and I will end up paying more under the new plan. Sprint will actually save me money if I switch. I desperately need to get a new phone so I figure this is a good time. I have been with Verizon for probably 15 years! Why is it that finding and moving to a new house is easier than switching phone carriers and finding a new phone?? I have several friends with Sprint and they have not had near the service/dropped calls issues as I have had over the last year. So I thought I would see what people outside of my circle of friends thought. Opinions...good, bad...also what phones are favorites?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Don't do it!!!!!!!!

Sprint is horrible!!!! I have 2 cell phones. My personal phone is Verizon and my work one is now Sprint (it was AT&T). I have never had such horrendous service as I do with Sprint and if it were up to me, I would have bailed immediately but it's not my call (it's my work phone). I drop calls ALL the time, I never have good signal and it's not even like I'm out in the boonies somewhere when this happens. I'm in Chicago. There are some spots that are always bad and I just avoid making calls there but then there are surprises all the time too. It's really embarrassing since I am making work calls and constantly having to apologize for dropping the call. I hate it and so many of us are complaining now that they are looking to switch to Verizon if they can get a decent deal. Sprint is cheap for a reason!!!

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

It must depend on where you are. We had sprint in AZ and loved them. But when we moved to AR we didn't have service at our house in the boonies and had to change. Now we have AT&T and pay through the nose! GRR

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Spring Break 2014 DLR PTR - http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post50753138
November 2012 - 1st WDW Trip after a lifetime of DLR trips No Trip Report - But here is our Photo Book link
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AatGrNq0bOWbtg
momjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Pembo
OH-IO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chager View Post
I am not thrilled with the way Verizon's new pricing plans are set up and I will end up paying more under the new plan. Sprint will actually save me money if I switch. I desperately need to get a new phone so I figure this is a good time. I have been with Verizon for probably 15 years! Why is it that finding and moving to a new house is easier than switching phone carriers and finding a new phone?? I have several friends with Sprint and they have not had near the service/dropped calls issues as I have had over the last year. So I thought I would see what people outside of my circle of friends thought. Opinions...good, bad...also what phones are favorites?
We are in Ohio too and are considering leaving Verizon next year when the contract expires. Their prices are outrageous. We are on a very old plan but if we want to upgrade at all, it will double our bill.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momjeeps View Post
It must depend on where you are. We had sprint in AZ and loved them. But when we moved to AR we didn't have service at our house in the boonies and had to change. Now we have AT&T and pay through the nose! GRR

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
This is really the best advice, check coverage. Our company phones were Sprint, lots of dead zones. To Sprint's credit, their coverage maps were right now, they made no claims of service in those areas. We found we could force the phones onto Verizon's network in those situations, but then corporate blocked it. Switched to Verizon, more expensive, better coverage in our area. Now corporate next year is forcing us back to Sprint for the cost savings. A lot of our folks are very upset. Nothing like being in a major snow storm at 11 pm with a cell phone with no service.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

We have a Sprint hotspot box, got it because of the rebate, and they were boasting 4g in this area. It's been a total nightmare with that box, and I took it across the east coast this summer on my road trip. The only place I had 4g was atlanta, and had a poor 3g signal at best along the way. In Texas I should have had a 4g signal sitting in my house, but barely could get one bar next to the window.

My bf has a phone on some one else's plan, and it expires at the end of the month. He wants to do a family plan with me on ATT because I always have a signal, even when we go to yosemite. I've never had an issue with no signal. Even in the boonies of Indiana, I had three bars in the house, but I had to sit outside for the hotspot box just to get a couple of bars at night on 3g.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembo View Post
We are in Ohio too and are considering leaving Verizon next year when the contract expires. Their prices are outrageous. We are on a very old plan but if we want to upgrade at all, it will double our bill.
Sprint also is doing that. My bf wants to change phones, but even if he paid for a new one outside of Sprint, his line would increase.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chager View Post
Love Sprint. We have had nothing but good service, excellent coverage and by far the best pricing plans. We have traveled all over the country and have yet to experience an area with lots of dropped calls, etc.

We have been with Sprint for over 15 years and would never consider changing.

Sprint has won numerous customer service awards, including one a few years ago that was the best customer service overall, not just limited to cell phone companies. We have always had exemplary service.

My husband has to have 24 hour on call coverage for work and has never had a problem with Sprint.

Love the upgrade every year, the true unlimited data and the fact that we have 5 smart phones with unlimited everything plus one phone on constant hot spot for $250.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Familyof4lovesDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Don't do it!!!!!!!!

Sprint is horrible!!!! I have 2 cell phones. My personal phone is Verizon and my work one is now Sprint (it was AT&T). I have never had such horrendous service as I do with Sprint and if it were up to me, I would have bailed immediately but it's not my call (it's my work phone). I drop calls ALL the time, I never have good signal and it's not even like I'm out in the boonies somewhere when this happens. I'm in Chicago. There are some spots that are always bad and I just avoid making calls there but then there are surprises all the time too. It's really embarrassing since I am making work calls and constantly having to apologize for dropping the call. I hate it and so many of us are complaining now that they are looking to switch to Verizon if they can get a decent deal. Sprint is cheap for a reason!!!

I'm in OH like the OP, and I agree with the poster above. If you like having service indoors, don't switch to sprint. I would talk to people who live near you to find out what kind of service they have with sprint. In southwest OH the coverage is awful compared to Verizon.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

i wonder if sprint has a cell booster for home.

att has a cell booster for ppl who dont get good signal in house. If its for home use mostly, can look into that.

I had the same issue, i currently pay around $150 for 3 lines. Verizon with the same deal is about $200... and thats with less data as well.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momjeeps View Post
It must depend on where you are.
Of course it does. In our area, Verizon has the best coverage, followed by ATT, then Sprint.

It doesn't matter how cheap the plan is if you can't get service. It's more important that you ask around YOUR area for coverage issues. If possible, have one of your friends with Sprint come to your house and see if they get good service. To me, no home cell service is a deal breaker.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Don't do it!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyof4lovesDW View Post
I'm in OH like the OP, and I agree with the poster above. If you like having service indoors, don't switch to sprint. I would talk to people who live near you to find out what kind of service they have with sprint. In southwest OH the coverage is awful compared to Verizon.
I agree with these two. But, it really depends on the coverage in YOUR area. Sprint can't GIVE me a free cellphone & service. What's the point of having service it it really doesn't work where and when you need service? I don't care how much cheaper it may be.

Just from the (unscientific) research I've done, asking everyone I know what service they like here locally, this has always been and remains Verizon country. They took over the landline company from Bell Atlantic, so they were then in the perfect position to install cell towers first and the most, and still seem to provide the best service here. Even over AT&T & T-Mobile.

Meanwhile, Sprint doesn't seem to go through buildings or bounce off walls to give decent coverage. Almost everyone I've talked to says how Sprint sucks for them - and this is while other people in the same room are chatting away on their Verizon cellphones.

OP, it could simply be your model cellphone. I have two different cellphones, (work & personal.) Both with Verizon. The newer one is so much clearer and has less dropouts than the older on. I've been planning on upgrading the older phone as soon as the model I want becomes available again.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
quentina
The bridge has been built and crossed
Old cups are just that.......old cups

Sprint sucks! If your goal is shoddy service and disconnected calls, switch. I have had Sprint for years....we are grandfathered into a plan that my DH refuses to give up....so, until they discontinue it- we are stuck with them!
quentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #14
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albort View Post
i wonder if sprint has a cell booster for home.

att has a cell booster for ppl who dont get good signal in house. If its for home use mostly, can look into that.
We had antenna booster because there was no signal for like 3 blocks at the old house. Worked well for being in the house, but the minute we got in the car to go, the call would drop. Then a few months ago, they wanted to start charging it as an additional line for having the box. So we sent it back. The signal isn't so bad at the apartment, but it can go from no signal to 3 bars and back to no signal driving down one street.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #15
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Another vote FOR Sprint. I have been with them since 1997 when I moved to FL and the company I worked for used them for service. I've rarely had issues and when I have, I have always found their customer service and local stores helpful. I've carried them with me from FL to TX to AL to LA and now we live in VA. Oh, and I can talk on my phone inside. Do it all the time. I have an iPhone 4s, pay $73/month for unlimited everything and am a very happy Sprint customer.

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: