Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
alibeau
DIS Veteran

VA PE - how much!?!?!?

Dear goodness, just checked the price of PE for Aug 2013

They want £5k for 2 adults and 2 children.... I've never been shocked by their prices previously, I guess we all have our limits and VA have now crossed mine.... I can now see exactly where everyone is coming from when considering indirect etc.....

I booked the same four seats for Easter 2013, used 30k of miles and paid £3k, I was really pleased with that figure so I guess thats why I was SO gobsmacked at August's prices. I am going to have to trawl through my emails and see what we paid for August previously, could have sworn it was around the £4k mark....

Anyway as luck would have it, we have just put our house on the market so I am not in my usual control freak hurry to get flights booked as we are going to see what (if anything) happens on the house front before booking any August flights...

Gob smacked

Ali
alibeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

I know its dreadful isnt it.
we're not going until 2014, so im keeping track of the prices for next year and seeing whens good to book.
The economy prices are awful too
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge@Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday@Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
alibeau
DIS Veteran

Crazy to think that in Jan 2008 we paid around £3.5k for the four of us to fly UC (only paid for three seats as our youngest was under 2, but even so........)

Boo hoo!!!!

Ali

PS Oh dear I can feel a rant coming on, I'm even replying to my own posts!! Worst part is when checking dates the prices jump by £381 each because of the school holiday dates - scandalous!!

Last edited by alibeau; 09-28-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

I think BA and VA tend to have higher prices in general (and I do believe VA are more expensive) because they operate direct flights. As soon as you start looking at alternative airlines, you start searching indirect and things do change a little there.

But yes, I agree, £1250 per backside is a little steep. I'd rather go with anyone else who had a good sale in a PE or Business cabin and either pay less or get more for it.

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
london75
DIS Veteran

I know, we've been shocked this year as well. The distinct change in M&M fares as it goes past 13th July is disgusting but I suppose inevitable due to school hols.

We're hoping for a sale at some point, this years flights were bought outright with miles but I only have 100,000 this year rather than the 160,000 I needed last time so unless I buy 60,000 (not even possible I don't think) or get spending on the credit card I'm stuffed. Definitely not spending 5k on flights.
london75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
alibeau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by london75 View Post
I know, we've been shocked this year as well. The distinct change in M&M fares as it goes past 13th July is disgusting but I suppose inevitable due to school hols.

We're hoping for a sale at some point, this years flights were bought outright with miles but I only have 100,000 this year rather than the 160,000 I needed last time so unless I buy 60,000 (not even possible I don't think) or get spending on the credit card I'm stuffed. Definitely not spending 5k on flights.
Absolutely!!!

We'll either have to get more flexible with our dates (not sure how much difference that will make as we still have to stay within school hols) or decide to do Europe instead or stay home if we have moved house

Our only commitment so far is a deposit on the villa. DH won't consider flying Econ on a long haul, can't say I blame him as he's a big guy, I guess we'll just keep our options open for now and see what happens....

Ali
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
london75
DIS Veteran

Its more or less the same for us although I'm 6'5" and its DW that insists I'll whinge and moan all the way whereas I'm convinced I'll put up with it to get there.

We're trying Continental now United in 4 weeks and have gone for Economy Plus. Flights totalled 2700 for 2 adults 2 kids for the half term week so not bad and seat pitch is supposed to be about the same as VA PE although service won't be I'd imagine. It's a much smaller plane too so I'm assuming both immigration in Washington and luggage in MCO will be better.

4 weeks until the cruise, can't wait. I'll report back on how the flights were when I'm back as we've always travelled VA PE before too.
london75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
alibeau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Its more or less the same for us although I'm 6'5" and its DW that insists I'll whinge and moan all the way whereas I'm convinced I'll put up with it to get there.

We're trying Continental now United in 4 weeks and have gone for Economy Plus. Flights totalled 2700 for 2 adults 2 kids for the half term week so not bad and seat pitch is supposed to be about the same as VA PE although service won't be I'd imagine. It's a much smaller plane too so I'm assuming both immigration in Washington and luggage in MCO will be better.

4 weeks until the cruise, can't wait. I'll report back on how the flights were when I'm back as we've always travelled VA PE before too.
Oooo yes, do report back, definitely going to have to look at all our options.... Hope you have a brilliant trip

Ali
Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:

You might be surprised We flew CO last year (before the full merge) and it was hands down the best service we've had on a flight to the US. I hope you have a similar experience The IFE was AVOD and better than what we had with BA this year.

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
Magic Megadegs
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibeau View Post
Dear goodness, just checked the price of PE for Aug 2013

They want £5k for 2 adults and 2 children.... I've never been shocked by their prices previously, I guess we all have our limits and VA have now crossed mine.... I can now see exactly where everyone is coming from when considering indirect etc.....

I booked the same four seats for Easter 2013, used 30k of miles and paid £3k, I was really pleased with that figure so I guess thats why I was SO gobsmacked at August's prices. I am going to have to trawl through my emails and see what we paid for August previously, could have sworn it was around the £4k mark....

Anyway as luck would have it, we have just put our house on the market so I am not in my usual control freak hurry to get flights booked as we are going to see what (if anything) happens on the house front before booking any August flights...

Gob smacked

Ali
£5000 for 2 adults and 2 children in August 2013 PE seems a steal given they wanted £4900 from us for the same time period for regular economy, lol! I think someone in the pricing department at VA thinks its April Fools!

We booked BA for the 4 of us for £3k including a domestic leg for August 2013 a couple of weeks ago! Aer Lingus are very reasonable at the moment via Dublin for August 2013 -dates not out on their site yet for the full month but you can book through skyscanner - a friend just booked 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant for just over 2.2k - not sure what their PE equivalent is like or indeed what their leg room is like but it may be worth checking x

Dec / Jan 1990/1991 Villa Xmas, August 1993 I Drive, November 2001 I Drive, August 2003 I Drive Honeymoon , Dec / Jan 2010/2011 Reunion Resort Xmas, August 2013 Caribe Royale & Old Key West Resort , February 2014 Holiday Inn Resort LBV
Magic Megadegs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: