Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Rental Car Advice

I know this isn't Disney related, but I'm hoping some of you who normally rent a car on vacation can help. I'm taking my daughter to Pittsburgh in November for a college visit. Well, really two colleges. From what I understand, a car will be necessary. For the experts, how can I get the best price? Any rental company you like better than the others? Should I go ahead and rent now or is it okay to wait and watch the prices?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
I know this isn't Disney related, but I'm hoping some of you who normally rent a car on vacation can help. I'm taking my daughter to Pittsburgh in November for a college visit. Well, really two colleges. From what I understand, a car will be necessary. For the experts, how can I get the best price? Any rental company you like better than the others? Should I go ahead and rent now or is it okay to wait and watch the prices?

Thanks!
carrentals.com watch and i heard tuesday is a low day. depends where you rent though. if a major city, i think prices are higher.
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

I suggest you visit the Transportation Board. There is a wealth of knowledge over there, including threads for each month where people are looking to book car rentals. You will learn how to stack online coupon codes to get the best deal. And the prices do change, often going lower as your travel date approaches, unless you are visiting somewhere where a big event is happening which then causes the prices to increase.

You can reserve most rentals without giving a credit card # and no cancelation penalty, so book, cancel, and rebook as prices go down. I book, cancel, and rebook several times as new deals and codes get posted.
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoDis View Post
I suggest you visit the Transportation Board. There is a wealth of knowledge over there, including threads for each month where people are looking to book car rentals. You will learn how to stack online coupon codes to get the best deal. And the prices do change, often going lower as your travel date approaches, unless you are visiting somewhere where a big event is happening which then causes the prices to increase.

You can reserve most rentals without giving a credit card # and no cancelation penalty, so book, cancel, and rebook as prices go down. I book, cancel, and rebook several times as new deals and codes get posted.
Thank you so much! I never thought about the Transportation board!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
msp2mco
Mouseketeer

I have found good deals through Costco and through my work, so inquire if they have a corporate discount. If it is just 2 of you, consider getting the economy car. I often do this, and I almost always get a slightly bigger car than I have reserved. Sometimes the rental counter will ask if you want to pay for an upgrade, and I say, "No thank you. The economy car is fine." Then they say, "Oh, we don't have any economy cars on the lot, so I will put you in a mid-size car."

I've also gotten very good deals through priceline.com, but I haven't done that for awhile.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: