Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #31
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
The reason Disney charges so much is that people will pay it.
exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #32
Mamu

DIS Veteran
A perennial favorite
My children call me "Mud Duck"

While there were some but over all I thought it was an average review. The Poly is a nice resort but not for everyone.

We've stayed there twice, both times we enjoyed our stay. Not to say it was perfect, it does get very crowded at times so it's not as relaxing as you would hope.

I think everyone can find some fault with any one of the Disney resorts. There prices are high, so I think you expect more. Over all I give the Poly review.

Mamu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #33
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

My 2 cents worth on the Poly. This comes from a party of 2 adults, no kids staying for a long weekend in a regular room.

We thought the rooms were very spacious & had ample room to get ready each morning & relax each afternoon without tripping over each other. Of course I imagine if you try to fit a party of 4 or 5 in there it will seem a lot smaller than it did to us.

Loved having a balcony & being able to sit out & enjoy coffee in the morning & a glass of wine at night.

We did think the resort looked 'dated' and old. We joked the whole time about that Brady Bunch in Hawaii episode (yes, I'm dating myself ). That is the feel we got in the buildings. The landscaping I loved! Being a gardener I really appriciated the beautiful grounds.

Pool was nice. Had a bar & you could get chairs or a cabanna for an afternoon. Hard to beat looking across the beach to the MK. A little noisy with the pool games & music, but nothing unbearable.

All in all, while it was nice, I don't think we are rushing back to stay there. Of course the right price or offer & we would have no qualms with staying there again. And if someone wanted to stay there we would encourage them to give it a try. The quality & service are fine, it just is not our thing. We like the bustle of the Boardwalk a bit more than the quiet of the Poly.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #34
gogo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Fantasia* View Post
Some reviews are probably bogus, written by hotel/resort competitors. I don't read reviews from that site.
Obviously you don't read that site or you would know how it is set up. I don't think most hotel/resort competitors post hundreds of reviews, as you could easily discover by looking at the reviewer's profile.
I'm sure some reviews could be bogus, as nothing is perfect but the overall site is a great resource for travellers. There is a travel forum for any area a person may visit and there are destination experts that have hundreds if not thousands of posts giving great advice for their area.

I think comments about it having bogus reviews bothers me because I love to travel and help fellow travellers and this site has helped me enhance my trips due to the wealth of knowledge on it. I would direct anyone to use this site when travelling as I would direct anyone travelling to Disney to the Dis. I have never had a bad experience or received something that was not accurately described using the TA site. Are some reviews bogus? I'm sure there are but those are pretty obvious. If you see one glowing review and a lot of bad ones, that's pretty obvious that this may not be a place to stay. Plus, just like the Dis, you can view a poster's profile. If they have only one or a couple of reviews or posts, easy to spot a fake.

Don't really understand the post about trip adviser users having high standards.

Not sure that using stereotypes is ever helpful.
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #35
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

After looking at the reviews I thought they were pretty much par for the course. Just like here on the Dis, the reviews are OPINIONS. They come from individual perspectives and differ from one person to another. Some are pretty accurate, others border on the ridiculous. All the more reason to read carefully and analytically. I find it helpful to look at the chart at the top of the page to see the relative numbers of excellent/good reviews vs the poor ones. That, in itself, can tell you a lot.

I've used TripAdvisor for quite a few years and have written a few reviews myself. Their site can be of invaluable help when you are making decisions about a vacation to a new (to you) destination. But you still need to be sensible. I NEVER consider only a single source of information when making these kinds of decisions. Remember- these sites are just a guide, not a Bible.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #36
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Did you see the one where they rated Poly at 1 star because they couldn't get into Ohana and they were angry that you "apparently need get reservations 6 months in advance????" They stated that for the money they were spending they should have been able to eat there....this just echoes what a PP said about people not being informed or doing research and being mad about things that they didn't know about.

I have learned that trip advisor is pretty good for entertainment value, but I don't really pay too much attention to those reviews.
I totally disagree.

I love tripadvisors because they give all types of reviews and you can't rip a person apart for it.

Not everyone in the world loves to micromanage their vacation so knowing that you have to plan popular adr's is a very relevant complaint.

I find tripadvisor readers are not "inhaling pixie dust" sorry I love the dis but I really believe that wdw can treat you guys any kind of way and you would simply say "oh well, I thank god I can go to disney". LOL

I find tripadvisor reviews tend to compare disney to the REAL vacation world that's why the deluxes continually come up short. Only at disney would they ever be considered real deluxes.

I love the dis for informations (like having to book 6 months out). I go to tripadvisor and allears.net for objective reviews.

The theme on the dis is "Love disney" or else leave. time after time has proven, "all negative reviews will be ripped apart and the reviewer told in some form or fashion that their terrible experience was totally their fault"
Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #37
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

My favourite is the comment about needing a GPS to find their room. Nuff said.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #38
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
The average hotel room at the price point of the Poly do have bigger rooms and more importantly, huge luxurious bathrooms. I travel a lot and I stay at the Ritz, Four Seasons, etc for the same price as the Poly. Disney's rooms do not compare except in price.

I can understand that a first time visitor to WDW, someone used to staying in luxury resorts, would be very disappointed with a Disney deluxe. You have to be a Disney lover to pay those prices for that quality of a hotel.
Your paying for location, location, location.......

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #39
dakotix
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe View Post
"On the other hand, this does not make up for the fact that the place is full of screaming, misbehaving kids who have really sorry excuses for parents who have no concern for the comfort of others."
I'm sorry mam, your children are having too much fun here at Disney World. For the comfort of our old guests, we're going to have to ask you to leave.
1978 - DL Blue Stroller!1982 - Intl. Drive1984 - Intl. Drive1986 - Intl. Drive1988 - Intl. Drive1992 - Intl. Drive1994 - Port Orleans1996 - Port Orleans2000 - Port Orleans/ Contemporary2002 All Star2006 - DTD 2013 - Pop/ Coronado Springs2014 - Coronado Springs
dakotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #40
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotix View Post
I'm sorry mam, your children are having too much fun here at Disney World. For the comfort of our old guests, we're going to have to ask you to leave.
LOL on the off chance that you are serious. Yes the comfort of the Old guest is important.

See the old guest understand that when you are a parent that unfortunately means you are a parent 24/7 and even on vacation you do not let your children run amok.
Yes we "old" guest disciplined our children, we underst00d that "fun" does not mean running up and down hallways at top speed, screaming like banshee and that yep we wanted our kids to have fun and make memories what we don't want is them being ill mannered hooligans.

Last edited by eliza61; 09-30-2012 at 09:47 AM.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #41
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotix View Post
LOL! But the thing is, some people may assume because it is deluxe and more expensive that it wouldn't attract as many kids. Reviews help give the whole picture.

Sometimes people assume crazy things...One of our favorite resorts in Mexico gets negative reviews because they "did not enforce the rule no children in the infinity pool"....that is because it is NOT adults only! People assume that because the swim up bar is there, that children aren't allowed. That is completely false! They will gladly serve junior his virgin pina colada!

Now, the reviews that slam the hotel because their flight was delayed,...those I ignore!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #42
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

I am a regular contributor to Tripadvisor (former travel manager so it's in my blood!) and I always check out Tripadvisor reviews of hotels/motels when I book stays. I read the negative ones to see what went wrong and how it could possibly be avoided...those that go on and on saying everything was wrong, I tend to disregard. But, that being said, with a property as expensive as the Poly. is, I would have very high expectations and would not hesitate to comment unfavorably if they are not met or problems that are reported are not rectified.

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect
March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!
October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!
June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip..fantastic!
March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
January, 2015, Art of Animation
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #43
gogo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
LOL on the off chance that you are serious. Yes the comfort of the Old guest is important.

See the old guest understand that when you are a parent that unfortunately means you are a parent 24/7 and even on vacation you do not let your children run amok.
Yes we "old" guest disciplined our children, we underst00d that "fun" does not mean running up and down hallways at top speed, screaming like banshee and that yep we wanted our kids to have fun and make memories what we don't want is them being ill mannered hooligans.

Well said and I couldn't agree more
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #44
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post

Totally agree. And this applies to all resorts, not just deluxes. IMO, too often lately, "It's all about the kids" takes precedence over respect and consideration for other guests.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #45
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
One of the "problems" with the tripadvisor reviews is, that they aren't only from Disney fans, or even informed people.
I think this is one of the advantages of tripadvisor reviews.

Personally, I ignore the individual star ratings (although I pay a bit more to the averages), but find Tripadvisor reviews useful for the information they offer. As someone earlier said, I may consider a bar that's open until 3 a.m. a negative, while someone else would see it as a positive. I'm not so much interested in what people thought of the place as I am in those sorts of details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie859 View Post
I think when someone posts on Tripadvisor and they travel a lot--they are comparing WDW idea of deluxe to the other luxury brands. WDW does come up short.
Agreed. Staying onsite is like staying in beachfront properties in that the rooms and units are much smaller than they'd be anywhere else. The difference is that there are resorts offsite that are just as close to the parks (in drive time) that are much, much cheaper -- even people who expect that difference in price between beachfront and a block off the beach can be surprised that it applies to onsite Disney. They're just thinking "distance from the parks," and don't get the "immersive experience" part of being onsite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
The average hotel room I've stayed in has been closer in size to a Moderate, Poly rooms are bigger. How many hotel rooms comfortably fit two queens plus a twin size sofa bed?
All the ones I've ever paid over $100/night for. "Luxury" rooms are usually those 450 square feet or bigger -- Poly prices are luxury, but the larger Poly rooms are only 415 sq ft.

I do think part of it is where else you've stayed. Rooms in the east seem to average smaller than they do here in the midwest, and everywhere downtown rooms average smaller than rooms further from the city center. We stay in hotels most while driving from place to place or visiting relatives, so we're usually staying somewhere on the periphery of cities. With that background, I expected the WDW hotel rooms to be larger than they actually are, and I've definitely stayed in bigger rooms for a lot less money.

It was the Tripadvisor reviews that got me to paying attention to the square footage of Disney resort units, and thus first thinking maybe onsite would be a poor fit for us right now. I'm glad that we realized that before we made a Disney reservation. When it comes to rooms and DVC units, the Dis definition of "huge" is definitely not the one we use.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: