Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #16
Brook730
Mouseketeer

Don't worry I wont tell if you wont. Yeah someone at my work tries to make me feel like a bad parent she is constantly telling me oh well my daughter walked at 11 months and she was potty trained by 14 months and she could speak full sentences before she was two..... Yeah and when I try to tell her all kids are different she tries to say I'm just not trying hard enough
Im glad no one is like that here its my safe place Thanks again guys for all the info!!!
Brook730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook730 View Post
Don't worry I wont tell if you wont. Yeah someone at my work tries to make me feel like a bad parent she is constantly telling me oh well my daughter walked at 11 months and she was potty trained by 14 months and she could speak full sentences before she was two..... Yeah and when I try to tell her all kids are different she tries to say I'm just not trying hard enough
Im glad no one is like that here its my safe place Thanks again guys for all the info!!!
Ugh. I hate those kinds of parents...

My older 2 didn't walk until they were 15 months. My oldest wasn't potty trained until he was 4. (Talk about a nightmare...he was AFRAID of the potty.) My little girl, who turned 3 in February, is just now getting ready to start potty training. Is it that I'm not trying hard enough? No. It's that I actually follow my children's cues and let them develop at their own pace instead of forcing them to feed into some perfect parent delusions that I have. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but potty training at 14 months sounds far fetched. My husbands aunt claims her son potty trained at 16 months, but if you get the FULL story, she started trying to potty train him at 16 months and he was "fully" potty trained by 32 months.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #18
Brook730
Mouseketeer

yeah unfortunately she is one who thinks her child is perfect and can do no wrong but yet I have heard her saying how her kid throws a these big fits and starts punching her I finally got fed up and told her you parent your kid the way you want and I will do the same... And Good luck with your first trip to Disney I hope you all have an AWESOME time
Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #19
iamfishie
Earning My Ears

My little guy is in the same boat. We are headed to Disney mid-November. For the most part, he's dry during the day. However, I'll be sticking with pull ups while at Disney. It's one thing at home when he says "gotta go!" he can run 20 feet to the bathroom. It's no where near that easy at the parks- what if you are in line? Finding the closest bathroom...dodging traffic through the parks...and so on. I think it will be easier to do that and just deal with any set backs once we get home. I really don't want to lug a bunch or extra clothes or soggy-pee/pooped clothes.
iamfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
bankgirl05
DIS Veteran

Just a friendly reminder that public restrooms are LOUD!!! My DD4 still hates how loud they flush, and gets a bit nervous going in. If you can be prepared for that I think that is part of the battle, maybe turn it into something funny (wish I had thought of this during potty training) like"oooh did that sound like a Plane??? or a MOOSE?" something to make her laugh at it instead of being frightened???

Also, each child is different, but I found it much better with my 2nd and third, not to ask continuosly, do you have to go? but to just take them at appropriate intervals every hr-hr1/2 or before a long wait, after a long drink, before a boat ride from resort to DTD etc. As much as you want them to realize the gotta go feeling, they don't always until it is extremely urgent, so it is better to just have them frequently emptying thier bladders to prevent accidents (and large ones at that)

by-the-way DD4 still uses a pull up at night, even though she goes right before bed, she just conks out so hard that she can't seem to wake up to go in the middle of the night, and after a few nights of accidents, middle of the night jammie changes, and her climbing into our bed (and once wetting our bed) I went to night time pull ups... Does that make me a bad Mommy???
bankgirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #21
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

We just went to Disney and survived this. Got back today with zero wet undies including both plane flights! My 2.8 month son was in undies during the day for about 30 days prior to the trip. I was terrified, but he did great. For the first two days we used the companion bathrooms because he was terrified of the large bathrooms. We brought 'magic post-its' to keep to auto toilets from flushing. The first few days we brought him every hour to two hours because he never asks us to go, but would go if we bribed him. By the end of the trip he actually wanted to use the large bathrooms, and actually started asking us to go. I think the trip actually helped with enforcing potty training. Just wanted to let you know its possible. I have a trip report over in the dvc trip report section if you want to read it:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #22
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Just a FYI regarding nakey butt training (the best method, IMHO - I've done others, as well). Forget the panties, just put her in pants, and then when she's 100% in pants, get her really loose panties. It's hard for them to distinguish underwear from diapers in the beginning.

For the parks, pullups over underwear.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There is a cure for that - having more children! I had one who walked at 10 months - and one who walked at 15 months. I had one speaking clearly in full sentences by 15 months - and one who had NO language at 18 months, and needed ST. I had one who potty trained herself just over the age of two - and one who finally got it at 3 1/2 (well, just pee - poop took until 4 1/2).

And they were all different children - ones that did some things first, did other things last. And there was nothing I could do to change the timing.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #24
Brook730
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
There is a cure for that - having more children! I had one who walked at 10 months - and one who walked at 15 months. I had one speaking clearly in full sentences by 15 months - and one who had NO language at 18 months, and needed ST. I had one who potty trained herself just over the age of two - and one who finally got it at 3 1/2 (well, just pee - poop took until 4 1/2).

And they were all different children - ones that did some things first, did other things last. And there was nothing I could do to change the timing.
yeah the family does not know yet but after our week trip in march we are gonna start trying for another one I had to go back at least one more time and be able to ride my fav rides before i am out of commision for nine months lol
Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #25
Brook730
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishie View Post
My little guy is in the same boat. We are headed to Disney mid-November. For the most part, he's dry during the day. However, I'll be sticking with pull ups while at Disney. It's one thing at home when he says "gotta go!" he can run 20 feet to the bathroom. It's no where near that easy at the parks- what if you are in line? Finding the closest bathroom...dodging traffic through the parks...and so on. I think it will be easier to do that and just deal with any set backs once we get home. I really don't want to lug a bunch or extra clothes or soggy-pee/pooped clothes.
yeah I decided im just going to let her go in her pull ups she had been doing real good about telling me if she has to go. the only time she has a few slip ups is when im at work but my mother watches her for me and she is disabled so sometimes she just does not make it in time.... but my mom has given up her bathroom for DD because she will only use the big girl potty ( with her potty chair seat) so she just leaves the seat on there and the stool in front of it and she just goes on her own.plus that gives my mom enough time to get there to clean her up and help her wash her hands
Old 09-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #26
Brook730
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
We just went to Disney and survived this. Got back today with zero wet undies including both plane flights! My 2.8 month son was in undies during the day for about 30 days prior to the trip. I was terrified, but he did great. For the first two days we used the companion bathrooms because he was terrified of the large bathrooms. We brought 'magic post-its' to keep to auto toilets from flushing. The first few days we brought him every hour to two hours because he never asks us to go, but would go if we bribed him. By the end of the trip he actually wanted to use the large bathrooms, and actually started asking us to go. I think the trip actually helped with enforcing potty training. Just wanted to let you know its possible. I have a trip report over in the dvc trip report section if you want to read it:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412

Awesome im glad he did so good it gives me hope I have one month and a week!!!!!!!!

and bankgirl no that does not make you a bad mom at all lol. my little cousin would wet the bed almost every night until he was seven but his father would not allow him to wear any night time pull ups so as a result of that he was always afraid he would get yelled at in the morning and he never had any friends stay the night or anything
Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #27
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emteach View Post
What my mum did with little ones she cared for, as well as my siblings was put undies on and then pull-ups overtop. The way the undies are still there, the feeling of those... but you have back up, just in case an accident happens.
This is brilliant. I might try this with mine.

Quote:
lol no im trying everything I even tried the whole mickey mouse does not want kids in diapers in his park so you gotta use the potty and the if you will just use the potty I will take you to see tink twice when we go and she just looks at me and goes noooo is a little bashful tone.
I have boys so your mileage may vary, but we've been at this potty training thing since JANUARY and yes I know it is October. we have one twin who is trained except for the occasional accident, which he gets super sad about and is really good at using the potty. However, the other is terrible and goes in his pants because he can. He is 100% with no pants on but as soon as he has pants on he gets lazy and goes in them. We even had a call from "mickey" aka my husband in a passable mickey voice, telling him Mickey REALLY wants him to visit but he has to use the potty. The trained twin was screaming "I help you mickey! but the kid who uses his pants could not have cared less...

Quote:
Originally Posted by la79al View Post
Honestly, if she's fighting you on it, it might be easier to have a kid in pullups than a newly potty trained kiddo who will inevitably have to pee 2 seconds before you board the ride that you just stood in line 25 minutes for.
I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to be done with diapers, pull-ups, etc by our disney trip, which is looking less and less likely, so we're just doing pull-ups for that week. I figure I would rather deal with accidents in the pullups than in the pants while at the parks. We went on a road trip this summer and they both did so badly with accidents due to the excitement of the hotel, the weird bathroom, the long days that we just went to Target and bought pull-ups even though they had never worn them during the day at any time during this entire process. To me if it "sets them back" a little, I would rather that than have a miserable vacation to disney cleaning up pee pants several times day. (x2) My boys will be 3 in November, BTW.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #28
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankgirl05
Just a friendly reminder that public restrooms are LOUD!!!

by-the-way DD4 still uses a pull up at night, even though she goes right before bed, she just conks out so hard that she can't seem to wake up to go in the middle of the night, and after a few nights of accidents, middle of the night jammie changes, and her climbing into our bed (and once wetting our bed) I went to night time pull ups... Does that make me a bad Mommy???

Yes, they are loud!! But, i think disney put some thought into them because they don't have hand dryers so they are at least not as loud as some bath rooms. If you want to practice in a quieter one, sneak behind the imagination pavilion at epcot, (where the figment ride is) there wasn't a soul there, and my son was able to check them out without all the scary flushing. Also, the toilet in our room was even louder than the park bathrooms, i started flushing it deliberately with the door open so my guy could hear it and would get used to the noise. By the third day he no longer ran away.

Bankgirl05 my son is still in pullups during nap and bedtime. In fact the only time he poops is in the middle of the night. Yuck! Can't wait till he grows out of that. His dad forgot the pullup one nap this vacation and he woke up in a soaked bed ( on our air mattress thank goodness). He thought he was all wet from swimming earlier.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #29
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood
I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to be done with diapers, pull-ups, etc by our disney trip, which is looking less and less likely, so we're just doing pull-ups for that week. I figure I would rather deal with accidents in the pullups than in the pants while at the parks. We went on a road trip this summer and they both did so badly with accidents due to the excitement of the hotel, the weird bathroom, the long days that we just went to Target and bought pull-ups even though they had never worn them during the day at any time during this entire process. To me if it "sets them back" a little, I would rather that than have a miserable vacation to disney cleaning up pee pants several times day. (x2) My boys will be 3 in November, BTW.
I agree! Good vacation trumps potty training! We carried pullups with us just in case things didn't go well. I would suggest give it a shot, but be ready with plan B.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #30
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood
We even had a call from "mickey" aka my husband in a passable mickey voice, telling him Mickey REALLY wants him to visit but he has to use the potty. The trained twin was screaming "I help you mickey! but the kid who uses his pants could not have cared less...
This made me laugh!

Also, are there two parents? We had two times in line where he had to pee. One parent took him while the other stayed in line. They were both lines where we could sneak back in easy, other parents understand and don't mind.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: