Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #121
Luv'sTink
DIS Veteran
 
Luv'sTink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WA. & Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,341

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessc79 View Post
Good thing I have the law on my side. Ignorance and misogynist attitudes aren't going to change the way I decide to parent my kids!
On the Katie show, where the mom appeared this week, the legal guest said there is no punishment for not allowing breastfeeding.

I don't know, but that is what she said, it could have just been her particular state.
__________________
Me DH DS
POFQ Christmas 2006 & 2008!
I am not one of the DIS's "perfect" parents ..I'm just a Mom who loves her son
Luv'sTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #122
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
And ends when the child turns 2, which this child is still 4 months away from doing.

So this mother is doing exactly what the AAP suggests.
Into isn't the same as throughout. And suggests isn't requires.

Again, I posted just for clarification. But thank you for pointing out I wasn't as clear as I'd intended .
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #123
Kaspar Houser
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidict View Post
Seriously? You are asking me if it's okay for a 10 or 13 year old to breastfeed?

Yeah, find me a 10 year that wants to do that. I'm sure most junior high kids would love it.

There is such a thing as common sense.
Just take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxv6R9fUO74
Kaspar Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #124
cornflake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv'sTink View Post
On the Katie show, where the mom appeared this week, the legal guest said there is no punishment for not allowing breastfeeding.

I don't know, but that is what she said, it could have just been her particular state.
That's not a particular state. Of course there's no punishment - what would you expect there to be as punishment? She's free to try to sue and garner more attention, if she wishes.

Add me to the 'comfort any upset with food' being a strange and unhealthy attitude. Whatever, I don't care what people do to their kids really. I have no idea what went on in the restaurant, and don't really believe either side but can't motivate myself to care either way.

I also really don't get the 'very proud' thing. Like, what's to be proud of? It's mammalian behaviour. I don't think a goat is proud of being a nursing mother.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #125
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
Is that how your family worked? You take your 1 year old to the park, he trips and skins his knee, you drive him home and then hug and comfort him?

You're at a party with your 1 year old, a balloon pops and scares him. You leave, drive home, and then let him know it's OK?

I hope you're putting some money aside for psychotherapy, I hear it's expensive.

Federal law, Georgia state law, and Applebee's policy all give this child the right to be fed and comforted in this manner by his mother in public. You can hate it, you can look away, but it doesn't change the law.

And finally, I said 1 year old. This child is 20 months old. He's closer to 1.5 than he is to 2. Calling him something that he isn't is ridiculous.
There's a problem if a skinned knee or popped balloon can only be comforted by breastfeeding. Those are small things, that happen all the time to children. How does such a child go out with anyone but their mother? There are many ways a child can be comforted.
When someone discusses a child being sick, scared, or hurt and needing to be breastfed to comfort them, skinned knees or popped balloons aren't even on my radar.

As to the bolded, its unnecessary. I haven't been rude or disrespectful. My opinion differs from yours, no need to tell me I need therapy. Things like that are exactly how you lose people wanting to listen to what you have to say.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #126
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
There's a problem if a skinned knee or popped balloon can only be comforted by breastfeeding. Those are small things, that happen all the time to children. How does such a child go out with anyone but their mother? There are many ways a child can be comforted.
When someone discusses a child being sick, scared, or hurt and needing to be breastfed to comfort them, skinned knees or popped balloons aren't even on my radar.

As to the bolded, its unnecessary. I haven't been rude or disrespectful. My opinion differs from yours, no need to tell me I need therapy. Things like that are exactly how you lose people wanting to listen to what you have to say.
I was actually thinking how ironic the bolded of that message was. Nursing to comfort a skinned knee or popped balloons, and your the one that needs psychotherapy?

Women have the right to breastfeed in public.
The public has the right to be offended and complain to a manager in a restaurant.
I don't see any of these things changing.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #127
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 5,742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
Is that how your family worked? You take your 1 year old to the park, he trips and skins his knee, you drive him home and then hug and comfort him?

You're at a party with your 1 year old, a balloon pops and scares him. You leave, drive home, and then let him know it's OK?

I hope you're putting some money aside for psychotherapy, I hear it's expensive.

And finally, I said 1 year old. This child is 20 months old. He's closer to 1.5 than he is to 2. Calling him something that he isn't is ridiculous.
In all fairness, I didn't breastfeed, but I didn't pop a bottle in their mouths everytime they were scared or unsettled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreaming92701 View Post
And young women should keep their bodies covered at least somewhat, young men should pull their pants up, people should not be making out, there are so many things that might be offensive are you as strongly opinionated about other issues?
Well, they probably shouldn't be doing that in public either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
And ends when the child turns 2, which this child is still 4 months away from doing.

So this mother is doing exactly what the AAP suggests.
AAP and others recommend breastfeeding. I don't think many on this thread are debating that. I think the issue is do toddlers need to do it in public? It iaobviously not needed (as per the recommendation with ALL organizations) as the only nutrition and its recommended as an addition. If it is being used as a soothing tool, some are just saying that at that age, these kids shouldn't need a breast in public to do so.

If you want to breastfeed you child until he's 5, great, more power to you. But please don't use the recommendations of doctors as an the reason that they HAVE to be fed that way, in public, whenever they want. In my case, my kids didn't use a bottle in public after 1 year. Once regular food started, I wanted to teach about eating at a table and get them out using the bottle for calming them down so they could learn to do it on their own. If they were thirsty, they used their cups. etc.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #128
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?
 
chobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 3 hours from wdw!
Posts: 9,311

There is no general consensus on breastfeeding in public. If there was, then this stuff wouldn't make news and there would not be thousands of people arguing about on the Internet.

I suspect that most people who are offended by a baby being breastfed after he has reached his 366th day of life are probably uncomfortable with the whole idea of breastfeeding. But they are afraid to come out and say that. And that's ok, but it's the individual's problem.

Part of the problem comes from the pressure for women to breastfeed their children, in a society that has to have laws to protect women because there is no general consensus on whether iit is acceptable. Women are getting the mixed message that you should breastfeed, but only for a certain amount of time, and that perhaps you should consider hiding in shame when you do it. Kind of confusing, it's a good thing and if you are a good mother you will do it, but keep in mind it offends people?

I know many women gave been put down for bottle feeding, and I think that's terrible. I also think its terrible for people to judge women who breastfeed in public or breastfeed beyond the 366th day.

And when I say "people," I really mean women, because it is women who do all the judging when it comes to parenting. As for the men out there who try to make it into something sexual -- grow the freak up!

Everyone needs to get over themselves on this topic. Women gathering to breastfeed in public to make a statement are not helping the cause. And women who are offended by breastfeeding, stop bring up that batcrap insane British woman, that is an aberration and you know it.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #129
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy3girls View Post
Then don't look at us and mind your own business!
I am not looking at you, but I refuse to sit there and stare down at my plate. People see other people. A Toddler doesn't need to nurse in a restaurant.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #130
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring
 
DisneyFan32WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: usa
Posts: 4,474

I breastfed both of my daughters, but there is no way in heck I would ever breastfeed them as toddlers. These moms just can't let go.
__________________
DisneyFan32WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #131
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?
 
chobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 3 hours from wdw!
Posts: 9,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan32WI
I breastfed both of my daughters, but there is no way in heck I would ever breastfeed them as toddlers. These moms just can't let go.
How do you know the reason a woman breastfeeding past the age you deemed unacceptable for your kids?

That would be like someone saying you must of weaned your kids when you did because your selfish and didn't care about your kid's needs. That would be wrong and kind of irritating if someone said that to you, don't you think?
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #132
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring
 
DisneyFan32WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: usa
Posts: 4,474

If a kid has teeth and is sitting at a table at Applebees, they can eat something off the menu.
__________________
DisneyFan32WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #133
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?
 
chobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 3 hours from wdw!
Posts: 9,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan32WI
If a kid has teeth and is sitting at a table at Applebees, they can eat something off the menu.
Yes, they can, but just because they do not does not mean you know what their reasons are. Aren't you tired if all this mommy judging going on? Have you never been subjected to someone disapproving of how you raised your kids ? Even if you haven't, which would make you the rare mommy, wouldn't it irritate you if someone did?
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #134
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,657

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
Yes, they can, but just because they do not does not mean you know what their reasons are. Aren't you tired if all this mommy judging going on? Have you never been subjected to someone disapproving of how you raised your kids ? Even if you haven't, which would make you the rare mommy, wouldn't it irritate you if someone did?
In this case, it was the woman who went to the media. You can't put your story out there for all and expect nobody to judge. Isn't the whole point of going to the media to get the public to form an opinion? The thing is, you can't control what opinions people form, so there is always a risk of people not agreeing with you. Opening yourself to judgement is the price of going on tv to tell your story.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #135
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?
 
chobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 3 hours from wdw!
Posts: 9,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway

In this case, it was the woman who went to the media. You can't put your story out there for all and expect nobody to judge. Isn't the whole point of going to the media to get the public to form an opinion? The thing is, you can't control what opinions people form, so there is always a risk of people not agreeing with you. Opening yourself to judgement is the price of going on tv to tell your story.
I agree with the case with this particular woman, judge away! She did put herself out there, as did the women who had the feed-in,

However, the comments from women who have a problem with this are not limited to just the women who publicize, but to any woman who breastfeeds past a year, or when the kid cuts teeth (in my case that would have been 4 months) or even in public at all.

This woman may well have been trying to get attention, but the comments are not limited to her, any woman who chooses to breastfeed past some other woman's definition of what is acceptable is being branded at a bad mother.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.