Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #91
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
A 2 year old should wait because at 2 they need to be eating "real" grown up food. Not sucking on mom for comfort. I for one don't sexualize it, but I do think the mom has a problem, she needs to train the child to eat and not depend on her for comfort or food, his food is on a plate in front of him.
My grandson nurses for comfort only at 2 1/2. He eats real "grown up" food and has been since about 10 months. Does that mean he shouldn't nurse. No. If he needs comfort he should get it no matter where he is. If he is asking to nurse outside of the home he is obviously sick, scared or hurt and nursing is calming. Btw he doesn't need the breast as he has gone to WDW twice with Nana and Grandpa for weekends with no problem.
My other grandson is a month old and is also nursed and if anyone asked her to nurse in a restroom they would get an earful from this Nana. I will encourage my younger daughter to nurse him as long as they are comfortable with it.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #92
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
My grandson nurses for comfort only at 2 1/2. He eats real "grown up" food and has been since about 10 months. Does that mean he shouldn't nurse. No. If he needs comfort he should get it no matter where he is. If he is asking to nurse outside of the home he is obviously sick, scared or hurt and nursing is calming. Btw he doesn't need the breast as he has gone to WDW twice with Nana and Grandpa for weekends with no problem.
My other grandson is a month old and is also nursed and if anyone asked her to nurse in a restroom they would get an earful from this Nana. I will encourage my younger daughter to nurse him as long as they are comfortable with it.
Sorry but a 2.5 year old need to learn how to deal or comfort himself without attacking to mommy's breast. IF he has gone to WDW with grandparents, that just shows how he is using mom and mom is allowing it to happen. The other one is still very much an infant and this is his only food, this is a COMPLETELY different story and should never have to eat in a bathroom. Two totally different stories. YOu can encourage, but you said it yourself the older one doesn't need it, so like any HABIT, he is milking( no pun intended) it for all it's worth.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #93
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
I think some people have forgotten (especially in the last few days) this is a discussion board.

IE, we discuss things, give opinions, thoughts, etc.
I'll give you that one, but having an opinion and discussing it rationally is one thing. However, (without any evidence whatsoever) berating someone for exercising her legal rights, calling her an exhibitionist, claiming that she does it for herself and not the child, making assertions contrary to scientific research, and basically ascribing ulterior motives in general to mothers who chose to extend nursing beyond infancy just seems very strange to me.

I, personally did not approve of bottle feeding for myself, but I don't become incensed at the mothers who choose that route.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #94
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
What if the child was 5 years old? 10 years old? 13 years old? If there is no age limit, then these ages should be acceptable as well.
Seriously? You are asking me if it's okay for a 10 or 13 year old to breastfeed?

Yeah, find me a 10 year that wants to do that. I'm sure most junior high kids would love it.

There is such a thing as common sense.

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #95
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidict View Post
Seriously? You are asking me if it's okay for a 10 or 13 year old to breastfeed?

Yeah, find me a 10 year that wants to do that. I'm sure most junior high kids would love it.

There is such a thing as common sense.
particularly in front of their friends. lol
Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #96
JessiBelle22
Mouseketeer

I breastfed my daughter till she was almost 18 months. Very proud of it. I once thought like some of you on here. And now have a different view on things, because of having to feed her in public places. I got more ugly stares from woman than men. And I was very careful to be discreet. My view on it now is ... Our breast were meant to feed our children. And now in this day and age, some people view them as a sexual object ONLY. And find it offensive to feed our children ... Whether dicreetly or not. This is just my opinion and experience. No offense to anyone. But we should be able to feed our children wherever, and whenever. Just like a bottlefed baby or toddler.

September 2013 WDW! :-)

JessiBelle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #97
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Sorry but a 2.5 year old need to learn how to deal or comfort himself without attacking to mommy's breast. IF he has gone to WDW with grandparents, that just shows how he is using mom and mom is allowing it to happen. The other one is still very much an infant and this is his only food, this is a COMPLETELY different story and should never have to eat in a bathroom. Two totally different stories. YOu can encourage, but you said it yourself the older one doesn't need it, so like any HABIT, he is milking( no pun intended) it for all it's worth.
We'll just have to agree to disagree as I see nothing wrong with extended nursing. It has taken us through 2 bouts of MRSA where the only thing he wanted was to be nursed and refused to eat. Kid is skinny enough without going without nutrition when sick. He will stop when he is ready. Oh and his pediatrician has no problem with extended nursing and he is considered on of the best in the area.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #98
calypso726
DIS Veteran

Quote:
At home I like to get in my PJ's, take off my makeup and sit in front of the TV while eating,this isn't acceptable behavior outside the home.
I guess you've never been to a Walmart *ducking and running*

calypso726 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #99
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

People will never agree on this. They just go round and round on all of these threads. Of course it's legal to feed a child in public in this manner but where should the line be drawn when it comes to exhibitionism IF it occured or age if there should even be one? Everyone has a different answer when it comes to those questions.

As for comfort, kids can be comforted in a variety of different ways. I'm not saying that this can't be one method but it certainly isn't the only method.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #100
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I realize you are talking about your grandson and not this child but if it was for comfort, maybe the child should have been taken home instead of to Applebees. If , as in your example, the child was sick, scared or hurt, you take the kid home. They had just gotten there, hadn't ordered yet.

There has to be respect both ways. At a certain point a line does need to be drawn because you will have people going overboard to make a point. I'm not saying that's what happened in this case. There's not enough info to say either way.
sunshinehighway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #101
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And at 20 months, my child was eating off the table and very wide variety of food, she wasn't on any type of bottle or even a pacifier, same with my other 2 kids. A 20 month old doesn't need mommy's milk. And who said anything about a 5 year old, why that random number.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) now recommends breastfeeding into the second year of life as long as it is beneficial both for the mother and the child. So extended breastfeeding is OK and actually recommended now. Just like having the carseat turned around past the age of 12 months, and having your kid ride a bicycle with a helmet - it isn't sheltering, it is what people are being actually told to do now. It is OK. A 20 month old is OK as long as the mom wants to nurse him and the baby still wants to nurse. We aren't talking about a 5 year old in the article - it was a young toddler.

My son self weaned at 11 months. I wish he had continued to nurse - I would have loved to continue burning those extra calories!
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #102
Philagoofy
Guess my favorite dog!
You must accept dust. You must become friends with dust. You are one with dust.

Just asking out of curiosity, those who say that children shouldn't still be breastfeeding at or around 2 years old and some people seem to feel pretty strong about that, why do you feel so strongly about it? Let's say the mothers are being discreet, do you still feel they shouldn't be breastfeeding a child around that age and why?
Philagoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #103
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso726 View Post
I guess you've never been to a Walmart *ducking and running*
No need to duck and run, I agree with you. I have been there and we have one in particular that is real entertainment. lol
Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #104
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree as I see nothing wrong with extended nursing. It has taken us through 2 bouts of MRSA where the only thing he wanted was to be nursed and refused to eat. Kid is skinny enough without going without nutrition when sick. He will stop when he is ready. Oh and his pediatrician has no problem with extended nursing and he is considered on of the best in the area.
YOu weren't talking about preventing MRSA, or because he was sick and refused to eat, you said he did it for comfort. YOu said he could do without because he had spent a whole weekend you you at WDW. Don't change the story now. And if he was that sick, then there was no need to take him out to a restaurant, nurse him and then make a stink because some people didn't like it. I realize this wasn't you, but, in the situation you described, your DD would have been doing this in her own home. When a 20 month old or 2.5 year old goes out to dinner, there is NO, and I repeat NO reason he has to nurse, leave that at home. I don't want to see it, and if you are sitting at certain angles, then yes I can see it.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #105
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) now recommends breastfeeding into the second year of life as long as it is beneficial both for the mother and the child. So extended breastfeeding is OK and actually recommended now. Just like having the carseat turned around past the age of 12 months, and having your kid ride a bicycle with a helmet - it isn't sheltering, it is what people are being actually told to do now. It is OK. A 20 month old is OK as long as the mom wants to nurse him and the baby still wants to nurse. We aren't talking about a 5 year old in the article - it was a young toddler.

My son self weaned at 11 months. I wish he had continued to nurse - I would have loved to continue burning those extra calories!
A 20 month old isn't a baby, it is a toddler. Nurse at home all you want, but out in public when you are eating, that child should eat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: