Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #76
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidict View Post
Yes, that is your opinion. Obviously this is not the opinion of the mother of the 20 month old in the article.

Do, I think she has a problem? No, just different ideas about breastfeeding then I have. The child was 20 months old, not 5.
What if the child was 5 years old? 10 years old? 13 years old? If there is no age limit, then these ages should be acceptable as well.

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

====================================
DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #77
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybug View Post
Maybe you linked the wrong page? That one goes to one about how long to exclusively breastfeed.
It does state that exclusively for 6 months, but it also says they can start introducing regular foods and gives the amounts. However, I do question a report that says you have to be so careful because so many infants worldwide become malnourished at this point. Um, maybe in other countries, but have you seen the babies in this country? And with all the talk about how kids are over weight, I hardly think that is a problem, so I do question what they say. I am sure there are parents out there that are unable to supply the needed food due to monetary issues, but then again in my mind these would be the same moms that aren't getting proper nutrition and therefore the babies aren't either, even though being breast fed. The whole thing seems to a little off to me.

YOu can find just as many pediatricians that will tell you that there is no benefit to breast feeding a 2 year old, that they need to get off mom and start with real food.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #78
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
It does state that exclusively for 6 months, but it also says they can start introducing regular foods and gives the amounts. However, I do question a report that says you have to be so careful because so many infants worldwide become malnourished at this point. Um, maybe in other countries, but have you seen the babies in this country? And with all the talk about how kids are over weight, I hardly think that is a problem, so I do question what they say. I am sure there are parents out there that are unable to supply the needed food due to monetary issues, but then again in my mind these would be the same moms that aren't getting proper nutrition and therefore the babies aren't either, even though being breast fed. The whole thing seems to a little off to me.

YOu can find just as many pediatricians that will tell you that there is no benefit to breast feeding a 2 year old, that they need to get off mom and start with real food.
Wait...do you think that most moms who are breastfeeding until 2 aren't also giving their kids real food too? Of course they are getting "real food".

And you know of many pediatricians that say there is NO benefit? There is an unquestionable immune benefit for as long as the baby is breastfeeding. There are piles of research that outline the health benefits of extended breastfeeding until 24 months, I'd love to see the research that states otherwise.
There are quite a few (if not many) toddlers and babies in this country who are fed junk, and probably are malnourished (maybe not starving, but also not receiving the nutrition their growing bodies need). Chicken nuggets, juice, and french fries are not a good nutritional trade, and children on the "typical kid food" diet would probably benefit from the nutrition in breast milk.
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #79
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

This is an article from the Mayo Clinic (a reputable non "granola" source) on extended breastfeeding.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ext...eeding/MY02128
Old 09-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #80
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wait...do you think that most moms who are breastfeeding until 2 aren't also giving their kids real food too? Of course they are getting "real food".

And you know of many pediatricians that say there is NO benefit? There is an unquestionable immune benefit for as long as the baby is breastfeeding. There are piles of research that outline the health benefits of extended breastfeeding until 24 months, I'd love to see the research that states otherwise.
There are quite a few (if not many) toddlers and babies in this country who are fed junk, and probably are malnourished (maybe not starving, but also not receiving the nutrition their growing bodies need). Chicken nuggets, juice, and french fries are not a good nutritional trade, and children on the "typical kid food" diet would probably benefit from the nutrition in breast milk.
I think the point is kids that age are eating "real food" so this isn't a case of needing to feed a hungry baby by breastfeeding.

My guess is she wasn't being discreet about it if the manager came over before they had even ordered and felt the need to call the police.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #81
monkeybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
I think the point is kids that age are eating "real food" so this isn't a case of needing to feed a hungry baby by breastfeeding.
The fact is though that science states otherwise. I'd love for some of the posters who are saying there is no benefit of extended breastfeeding to post links to reputable sources stating so.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #82
Nette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
By two years old my child was well "bonded" with me and drinking out of a cup if they needed to stay hydrated. Comfort was given by me hugging, not whipping out my ****s every time they needed confort. I dont care what the WHO says- by two they are eating full meals from the table and drinking from cups, the only reason to continue breast feeding by that point is for the MOM not the child, moms are unable to let that go.
I beg to differ. I would LOVE for my son to wean. I'm trying everything I can short of just cutting it off completely, and still he insists. Perhaps I should let him cry, but it physically hurts me to hear him cry. *HE* is the one who wants to continue this relationship (at 27 mo), not me, I do whatever I can to avoid it in hopes that he will give it up peaceably.

ETA: we do NOT feed in public any longer. He understands that he has to wait until we get home... and usually when we get home I don't mention it (don't offer, don't refuse). If he remembers he comes to me... otherwise we go about other things.

Also, I have NEVER met an extended breastfeeder (and I know several) who intentionally lets it all hang out in public. I think that's just something that people who are uncomfortable with extended breastfeeding tell themselves that mom's with older babies do.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #83
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
The fact is though that science states otherwise. I'd love for some of the posters who are saying there is no benefit of extended breastfeeding to post links to reputable sources stating so.
I'm sure there is a benefit to it, and I bet there is even well beyond 2 years. However by that age most kids are eating real food and while they may get a majority of their nutrients from breast milk, a 2 year old doesn't need to be sucking on the breast at Applebees. They can eat some mac and cheese, take a drink fro their sippy cup and go home and nurse. Its not like a 2 year old is an infant who actually needs to nurse to get his/her nutrition, or needs the comfort of nursing right then and there.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #84
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I said, just as you did, that kids that age are also eating real food. If they are getting real food in a restaurant, the kid is eating real food and the kid is hungry, then the argument that she needed to feed her hungry child doesn't fit.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #85
monkeybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post

I said, just as you did, that kids that age are also eating real food. If they are getting real food in a restaurant, the kid is eating real food and the kid is hungry, then the argument that she needed to feed her hungry child doesn't fit.
Oops, sorry I misunderstood what you were saying in your post. I thought you were saying there was no need to breastfeed a 2 year old.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #86
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nette View Post
I beg to differ. I would LOVE for my son to wean. I'm trying everything I can short of just cutting it off completely, and still he insists. Perhaps I should let him cry, but it physically hurts me to hear him cry. *HE* is the one who wants to continue this relationship (at 27 mo), not me, I do whatever I can to avoid it in hopes that he will give it up peaceably.

I breastfed my son until 19 months - at which point, he self-weaned. I was thrilled that he had become independent and confident enough to give it up. I was adamant that I would not wean him before he was ready, and so I let him continue as long as he needed. He ate a full range of normal foods in normal ways (as in, fed himself with a fork and spoon, drank from a cup, etc.), but still needed the comfort that he got from breastfeeding.

I was not attention-seeking or needy - I was simply following the WHO recommendations, our pediatrician's advice, and my own mom instinct. We rarely nursed in public in those last months, but I would if we were out all day and he got tired and clingy.

And I'm not sure why this is even an issue - the law protects breastfeeding mothers, irregardless of age. The manager was breaking the law and Applebees could have been fined for asking her to cover up. End of story.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000

Last edited by Sarah_Rose; 09-28-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #87
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Rose View Post

I breastfed my son until 19 months - at which point, he self-weaned. I was thrilled that he had become independent and confident enough to give it up. I was adamant that I would not wean him before he was ready, and so I let him continue as long as he needed. He ate a full range of normal foods in normal ways (as in, fed himself with a fork and spoon, drank from a cup, etc.), but still needed the comfort that he got from breastfeeding.

I was not attention-seeking or needy - I was simply following the WHO recommendations, our pediatrician's advice, and my own mom instinct. We rarely nursed in public in those last months, but I would if we were out all day and he got tired and clingy.

And I'm not sure why this is even an issue - the law protects breastfeeding mothers, irregardless of age. The manager was breaking the law and Applebys could have been fined for asking her to cover up. End of story.
There's probably much more to the story than what the woman is saying. Applebees issued their statement and my guess is that is all they are going to say about it. They aren't going to come out with their side because they want this out of the media.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #88
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is an article from the Mayo Clinic (a reputable non "granola" source) on extended breastfeeding.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ext...eeding/MY02128
At least they make some reasonable point, unlike the other source that says the baby will suffer from malnutrition. Anyway, breast feed all you want, but frankly after a certain age, do it at home. Out and about the child needs to eat from the table. At home I like to get in my PJ's, take off my makeup and sit in front of the TV while eating,this isn't acceptable behavior outside the home, to me, neither is breast feeding a child that is 20 months.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #89
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
Then don't breastfeed your 2 yr old. Why do you (and others) need to have an opinion on what someone else with a different opinion (backed up by lots of medical research) chooses to do?
I think some people have forgotten (especially in the last few days) this is a discussion board.

IE, we discuss things, give opinions, thoughts, etc.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #90
lovemy3girls
DIS Veteran

Bottom line is- I respect women who choose to bottle feed. Breastfeeding women deserve the same respect. This woman was in the right and the manager was in the wrong. The law says so. We all have different ways of parenting but we can all agree that we are all doing things the way we do them in the best interest of our children. Our children are the ones that matter here. And I know we can all agree that we all love our children more than anything.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: