Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #46
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feckless View Post


I don't see anything in the story that even remotely resembles what you are describing.)

I guess you missed where I said I was kidding and that I think there is more to her story than what we are getting. We don't know what happened. You are ready to condemn him on her word, I'm not and I wonder if his word would condemn her.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #47
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Anyone else wonder why these breast feeding mother's would want to patronize a place that doesn't allow them their freedom? I mean, most people boycott, not stage a nationwide lunch at the restaurant. I bet this will be one of Applebee's most profitable days. Way to show them nursing moms!!
Good point! All they are really doing is increasing the lunch crowd.

On another note, I'm pretty sure Oriental is considered racist. I was always taught Oriental describes items (rugs, furniture...),not people.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #48
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
Good point! All they are really doing is increasing the lunch crowd.

On another note, I'm pretty sure Oriental is considered racist. I was always taught Oriental describes items (rugs, furniture...),not people.
Applebees will be filled with nursing mothers and teenage boys
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #49
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The beachy side of Central Florida
Posts: 2,081

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybug View Post


To quote Neil Degrasse Tyson "The great thing about science is it's true whether you believe it or not."

Some of you may have negative opinions about nursing a 2 year old, but the fact is that science is on the side of those moms who continue to nurse.
We have a lot of old fashioned opinions in this society (like wearing no jacket in the cold will make you sick), the fact that they may be popular doesn't make them true though. I'll stick with science.
I love that quote from him. Heck, I love him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *pixie*dust* View Post
Refering to someone as "oriental" is considered racially offensive. And, what does her race have to do with breast feeding?
Yes! Oriental is a way to describe objects not people. And what did it even have to do with the anecdote? Art, you saw a lady breastfeeding.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #50
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!
 
Heidict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Shoreline in CT
Posts: 4,561

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
And at 20 months, my child was eating off the table and very wide variety of food, she wasn't on any type of bottle or even a pacifier, same with my other 2 kids. A 20 month old doesn't need mommy's milk. And who said anything about a 5 year old, why that random number.
So was my DD (eating solids with no bottle or pacifier). As a matter of fact, I only breast feed for 3 months. I'm sure that will get me strung and quartered in some crowds.

However, this mother feels that breastfeeding her 20 month old is exceptable. Whether she does it for nutrition, attention, comfort or whatever. It is certianly not unusual for a 20 month old to still be breastfeeding as opposed to an older child, say a 5 year old. That is why I threw that random number out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
But even if the child IS 5 years old, the mother can breast feed if she wants, right?
If that is what she wants. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'm not one to sit there and stare while they are doing it. I and probably most others will think it is unusual and strange, but in this day and age it's not unheard of.
__________________
Me DH DD-8 DD- 2


Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #51
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 16,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
Should I be offended if people call me Latin? I had no idea using the term Oriental (because they are from the Orient) would offend anyone. Me thinks things are getting a little out of hand...Racist? wow...

As for the breastfeeding, I don't like to form opinins without the other side of the story and there probably is another side of the story.
PSA - this term is no longer PC (had to correct my mother the other day). Asian is now the correct term (Oriental was a PC term when I was growing up, though).

Carry on...
__________________
Me DH dd14 ds13 dd10 ds8 dd8
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #52
Feckless
DIS Veteran
 
Feckless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,125

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I guess you missed where I said I was kidding and that I think there is more to her story than what we are getting. We don't know what happened. You are ready to condemn him on her word, I'm not and I wonder if his word would condemn her.
You said you were joking, SORT OF. I'm not condemning anyone - I just don't know why a nursing mother would offend anyone.

Anyway, I have no doubt that as in most things there are three versions: his, hers and the truth, and on that we can agree.
__________________
Me (46) DH (47) DD (13) and DS (11)

Latest TR in progress: FROM SUNSTROKE TO A CONCUSSION: a Yacht Club Disney "Trip" to Remember http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50508748


SMILES, SAND AND SUNSTROKE: A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2927334

First Pre-Trip Report: From the North Atlantic to the World http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43102751
Feckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #53
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feckless View Post
You said you were joking, SORT OF. I'm not condemning anyone - I just don't know why a nursing mother would offend anyone.

Anyway, I have no doubt that as in most things there are three versions: his, hers and the truth, and on that we can agree.
I gave an example of how she could offend someone (which was the joke). And yes, if I was staring at a pair of breasts while eating I'd find it offensive. Watching a mother nurse her baby, or in this case a toddler, not so much.

For all we know she could have been sitting there on display as her toddler was toddling around, going back and forth for sips when he/she was thirsty. Or he/she could have been laying in their mother's arms suckling away and nobody was the wiser. We have no idea what went on in that restaurant except what she says.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #54
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Applebees will be filled with nursing mothers and teenage boys
Yup. That's what happened when some nursing moms group decided to stage a nurse-in at a local mall. I was working at a nearby college and overheard some boys talking about the "free porn" at the mall because they'd heard that these women were going to be anything but discreet about nursing. They made caravans out there to go and gawk at the women. Who were, indeed, not discreet about nursing. IMO, it was an excuse for exhibitionism.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #55
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
Yup. That's what happened when some nursing moms group decided to stage a nurse-in at a local mall. I was working at a nearby college and overheard some boys talking about the "free porn" at the mall because they'd heard that these women were going to be anything but discreet about nursing. They made caravans out there to go and gawk at the women. Who were, indeed, not discreet about nursing. IMO, it was an excuse for exhibitionism.
I find it distasteful that they are using their babies to make a statement. There are other ways to get your point across without involving your baby.

Also, these laws are in place to protect their right to breastfeed. I don't like the idea of turning around and using those laws in an extreme way (like exhibitionist breastfeeding) to make a statement.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #56
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda
 
FlightlessDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 12,076

That Applebee's did a dumb thing. You don't piss off breastfeeding moms. That's bad mojo.
__________________
FlightlessDuck
DH of MouseEarsJenny

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #57
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The beachy side of Central Florida
Posts: 2,081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
Yup. That's what happened when some nursing moms group decided to stage a nurse-in at a local mall. I was working at a nearby college and overheard some boys talking about the "free porn" at the mall because they'd heard that these women were going to be anything but discreet about nursing. They made caravans out there to go and gawk at the women. Who were, indeed, not discreet about nursing. IMO, it was an excuse for exhibitionism.
The problem is with the teen boys and not the nursing mothers.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #58
Fly4free
DIS Veteran
 
Fly4free's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SE PA
Posts: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidict View Post
The manager sounds like an idiot and needs to be demoted to dishwasher. The law doesn't specify what the age cut off limit is, or how much skin is allowed to be exposed when nursing your child. The law, the one the manager was to ignorant to know or adhere to, states that you can nurse your child in public regardless of age.

I would not opt to nurse my child at 20 months for a variety of reasons, but I am well aware that there are plenty of women out there who do. Since when are other people supposed to live up to my expectations and ideas? If they feel it is best for their child, then fine and if they choose to do it in a back booth at Applebees, then have at it! I fail to see how it is hurting anyone. Maybe people need to be a bit more engaged with their table mates instead of staring at other patrons? Maybe people need to grow up and stop sexualizing breast feeding.

I am always amazed at the ignorance of people, telling nursing mothers to go the bathroom to nurse. Seriously? How about you grab your burger and fries and sit in the stall next to me. When you do that, then I will think about feeding my child in there.



Why should she have to? Because it might offend someones delicate sensibilities? Because it was something you chose not to do? What is the age cut off before you are no longer allowed to breastfeed in public?
ITA
Fly4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #59
sjv919
Mouseketeer
 
sjv919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 300

This article goes to show how wound up we can be in our society. For crying out loud, it's a ****, not a weapon!

I'm going to go ahead and admit that unless a woman who is breast feeding covers it up, I feel somewhat uncomfortable. However, that's not to say she needs to go to the bathroom to feed her child or that she's required to cover it up, laws allowing. She has just as much right to feed her child in Applebee's as I do to be sitting there eating. As far as I'm concerned, it's my problem if I'm uncomfortable and not hers, since she isn't doing anyone any harm, and I can choose to deal with it like an adult and look away or I can get bent out of shape and make a scene and a fool of myself. That's up to me. But I don't think it's fair to try to tell me I'm wrong for being uncomfortable or otherwise try to belittle that opinion.

I think we just need to learn to mind our own business if we aren't being harmed by something. Just my two cents.
__________________
sjv919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #60
lovemy3girls
DIS Veteran
 
lovemy3girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
Someone breastfeeding a 2 year old in public is doing it for attention.

She got what she wanted and now she's going back for more.
I take offense to this statement. I have breasfed 5 babies, currently nursing my 10 month old. I nursed 2 of my children past their second birthdays. I nursed in public when I needed to, I did it discreetly and certainly NOT for attention! I was following the reccomendation of the World Health Organization. This is how my toddlers got nutrition, comfort, hydration on hot days, and bonding time with me. I don't understand how nursing is a problem for people. Women show a lot more breast wearing bikinis or low cut shirts. In fact most of the time you wouldn't even know my baby was nursing unless you look closely. I am proud to be a breastfeeding mom. I agree that women should cover up in public and be discreet about it, and I believe in this case the woman was. I saw her interview on TV.
__________________
I am a stay at home mom of 5. Check out my blog about Disney and life with a large family!
http://thefloridafamily.com
lovemy3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: