Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #331
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
You don't think there are extensive studies related to breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding?

http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/breastfeeding/

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v2.../0802758a.html

Is it going to prevent obesity if you feed your kid pizza and ho hos every day? Nothing will. But it has shown to have a small but noticeable impact.

http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-a...No+local+token

As for nutrition..what exactly are you trying to state there?
I see baby and infant used there frequently - either in the quoted post or the links. Not toddlers.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #332
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

I can see the new dis board rule, No politics, no religion and no breast feeding! Lol!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #333
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Anyone noticing the coconut picture as a bit Freudian?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #334
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
I see baby and infant used there frequently - either in the quoted post or the links. Not toddlers.
Please point me to the studies that have shown a link between a nursing toddler and childhood obesity. All of the studies I posted indicate that the longer a child is breastfed the lower the risk of obesity by the time they were 3+ years old. The WHO recommends nursing until at least 2 years of age. The AAP indicates there is no upper age limit to nursing. So all those obese kids who were nursed into toddlerhood must have slipped right past those two groups.

Apparently magically at 12 months the milk changes and the health benefits for the body magically end?

Most of the studies are referencing children from birth to 24 months.

Not related to obesity but:

Quote:
Extended breastfeeding not only reduces the incidence in children of acute illnesses such as diarrhea, ear infections, pneumonia, and meningitis, it lessens the occurrence of chronic diseases and conditions such as sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), obesity, childhood leukemia, asthma, and lowered IQ

Last edited by Coconut36; 09-29-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #335
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr
Hmmm, well since they have been trying to figure out this childhood obesity thing foe several years now, you would think if there was any correlation between toddler nursing and obesity there would be something on it.

What percentage of toddlers are still being breastfed anyway?
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #336
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
Hmmm, well since they have been trying to figure out this childhood obesity thing foe several years now, you would think if there was any correlation between toddler nursing and obesity there would be something on it.

What percentage of toddlers are still being breastfed anyway?
I would also think if it was a contributing factor to childhood obesity they would not recommend it continue for a minimum of 2 years and longer as desired by mother and child.

Being that the majority of infants are not breastfed past 6 months not very many I would assume when it comes down to percentages.

Some additional info on nursing past 12 months
Quote:
Continuing to breastfeed past the first year is supported by many health professionals.

Studies are also showing that breastmilk is just as nutritious after the first year.

During the second year of nursing 15 ounces of breastmilk contains 43 percent of the required protein, 36 percent of the required calcium, 75 percent of the required vitamin A, 76 percent of the required folate, 94 percent of the required vitamin B12, and 60 percent of the required vitamin C.

Dr. Jane Morton, a pediatrician who is a clinical professor at Stanford Medical School as well as a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics breastfeeding section states, "There are no medical or psychological reasons not to nurse long term." "It's frowned on in the US because the breast has become so highly sexualized." She goes on to say it's a myth to think that a child who nurses long term will not develop autonomy.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has stated that "There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychological or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer."
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #337
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Tonite in church I sat just in front of the crying room. A child of about 3 or 4 with a pacifier was running wild in there banging on the walls and trying to open the glass doors. The mom just sat there not stopping him. Folks near me started leaving early visibly annoyed. I thought of this thread and almost suggested she nurse him LOL! Anyway glad we all started on chocolate here tonite and I can hear everyone now singing "Kumbaya...."
Old 09-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #338
disneydreaming92701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78

Puh-leese. Telling a 15 year old boy not to look at a ****ie is like telling a Dis'er not to look at Mickey Mouse.
Really???? This is so offensive the boy can/may be excited by so many things.... the waitress, something on the tv, etc. For goodness sakes.
disneydreaming92701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #339
calypso726
DIS Veteran

Monday:
Operator: National Weather Service, how can I help you.

Easily offended caller: Please something must be done! We are in a state of emergency! The wind is blowing and now my 15 year old ...

Tuesday:
Operator: Federal Communications Commission, may I help you?

Easily offended caller: Yes! I would like to file a complaint. There has been an endless barage of feminine hygiene commercials on Lifetime and now my 15 year old ...

Wednesday:
Operator: City Commissioners office, can I help you?

Easily offended caller: Yes, I need to speak to the Mayor. I'd like to report a violation of a city ordinance that prohibits public indecency contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Were you aware that the shopping mall on Main Street has a Victoria Secret Lingerie store and now my 15 year old ...

Thursday:
Operator: Center for Disease Control, how can I help you?

Easily offended caller: I'd like to report an outbreak. My 15 year old has been displaying very disturbing symptoms. When I spoke to him about it, he said it isn't just him but all of his friends in school too!

Friday:
Operator: World Calendar Association may I help you?

Easily offended caller: Yes, I'd like to propose a reform to our current calendar system. Apparently each of the days ends in "y" and my 15 year old ....

calypso726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #340
Casperina
Mouseketeer

I am *so* thankful that breastfeeding is fully supported and protected by the law here in Colorado. My mom had me in the south and got *loads* of rude people.
Now, to read the article and have some hormonal pregnant woman rage...

ME DH
May your day be filled with happy wonder!
Casperina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #341
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperina View Post
I am *so* thankful that breastfeeding is fully supported and protected by the law here in Colorado. My mom had me in the south and got *loads* of rude people.
Now, to read the article and have some hormonal pregnant woman rage...
Perhaps how she was breastfeeding was rude.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: