Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #166
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
Well there are ones who have come right out and said that, so what is your comment to them? Because most of the women who don't have a problem with the public setting are not making derogatory statements about women who don't breastfeed.
To be totally honest, I don't really care if they think that. People can have their own opinions (whether right or wrong). I don't think anyone has come out with anything as rude and disgusting as that previous post. If they did, I'd think they were totally wrong for it.

I have been told I need therapy and have a problem with breasts by two posters that obviously have no problems with public breastfeeding.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #167
bethy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
By two years old my child was well "bonded" with me and drinking out of a cup if they needed to stay hydrated. Comfort was given by me hugging, not whipping out my ****s every time they needed confort. I dont care what the WHO says- by two they are eating full meals from the table and drinking from cups, the only reason to continue breast feeding by that point is for the MOM not the child, moms are unable to let that go.
Then don't breastfeed YOUR two year old. It's THAT simple.

And let everyone else decide what is best for THEIR OWN two year olds.
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #168
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78

I never said they were that deviants. I was just pointing out...while some men can look at a breast and see it's function and purpose....most men see it's sexual purpose. To assume that because there is a baby in front of it that boys and men that see it aren't thinking of it in a sexual way is naive.
No, I think a grown man turned on by seeing a baby nurse is at best really immature and at worst a pervert.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #169
epcot.girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrn View Post
I think this statement is not only rude and hateful, it is uneducated and just as pig-headed as those of people who think it's wrong to nurse a toddler.

Due to surgery, I was physically unable to breast-feed. I guess the smart thing to do would have been to just not bring these children into the world, since they were doomed from the start. Selfish of me to take care of a serious physical issue BEFORE having children and taking away any chance they have to be healthy and successful. By the way, both of my children are quite well-adjusted and bright, and I'd be happy to follow up with you in 20 years when I have no doubt I can say the same. Their emotional, psychological, and physical well-being will be influenced by what I do for them during all of their childhood years, NOT by what I fed them as infants!

There are as many reasons NOT to breastfeed as there are to breastfeed. Judgmental people can be found on BOTH side of the issue. Before you complain about other people's uneducated opinions, maybe you should sit back and examine your own!
The bolded part is very true.

Yes, there probably is a correlation between being breastfed and being more healthy (psychologically and physically) later in life. But it's probably not due to the breastfeeding. There's a heck of a lot of other stuff going on.

Let me explain. Let's split mothers into two groups: breastfeeding and bottlefeeding. I know it's more complicated than that, but for simplicity.

In the bottlefeeding group there are going to be adoptive parents, women who wanted to breastfeed but were unable to, women you didn't want to breastfeed but are excellent mothers nonetheless, parents who are negligent, etc. In the breastfeeding group there are going to be women who want to and successfully breastfeed. I'd hazard a guess that there will be more negligent parents in the bottlefeeding group than in the breastfeeding group not because parents who bottlefeed are negligent but because parents who are negligent are less likely to take the time to learn to breastfeed (I would guess) and so will by default fall into the bottlefeeding group along with the wonderful parents who chose (or were forced) to bottlefeed, for whatever reason. Please don't confuse what I'm saying here.

So, essentially, the breastfeeding group will have a larger percentage of interested parents than the bottlefeeding group due to uninterested parents messing up the make-up of the bottlefeeding group.

The bottlefeeding group will have children that have been neglected or had much upheaval in their lives ALONG with the kids who have had a wonderful upbringing. The breastfeeding group are largely made up of only children who were wanted and cared for. As such, it's no wonder the 'science' (whatever it may me - I haven't seen it myself) appears to favour breastfeeding.

But it's probably not because of the breastfeeding. There's so much more to it than that. Statistics are not as simple as they seem, and correlation does not equal causation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessc79
I'm sure you have a bunch of anecdotal evidence. I'll stick with science, thanks.
But the science may be more complicated than it seems. It usually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessc79
Try google.
Sorry, but it's up to the person making the claims (you) to provide the evidence, not to the rest of us to go finding it. If you want to use science, you need to reference your sources.

epcot.girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #170
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

WOW........
Now we didn't see all of this coming in a thread about breast-feeding, now did we.

Anyhow, I will weigh in here.....
And, I haven't read all the recent post. This is NOT a personal statement against anyone who has posted here, at all...

Once a child has a mouth full of teeth, and is fully and completely capable of chewing, drinking, swallowing, etc... Any breastfeeding is an issue with the mother, and her desires/needs... not the child.

No need to cite science, religion, or anything else, to back up this statement.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #171
chobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway

To be totally honest, I don't really care if they think that. People can have their own opinions (whether right or wrong). I don't think anyone has come out with anything as rude and disgusting as that previous post. If they did, I'd think they were totally wrong for it.

I have been told I need therapy and have a problem with breasts by two posters that obviously have no problems with public breastfeeding.
So saying a woman is harming her toddler by breastfeeding is not rude? How about implying they are knowingly giving bonkers to men by breastfeeding in public even an infant? You good with that?

Last edited by chobie; 09-29-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #172
chobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star
WOW........
Now we didn't see all of this coming in a thread about breast-feeding, now did we.

Anyhow, I will weigh in here.....
And, I haven't read all the recent post. This is NOT a personal statement against anyone who has posted here, at all...

Once a child has a mouth full of teeth, and is fully and completely capable of chewing, drinking, swallowing, etc... Any breastfeeding is an issue with the mother... not the child.

No need to cite science, religion, or anything else, to back up this statement.
What kind if issue? Dies the mother need therapy, should CPS be called?

And you know what, it could be argued that choosing not to breastfeed is about the mothers needs and wants. Is it ok to judge them?

And I will own that: I chose to breastfeed my toddlers because I needed and wanted to continue to let them nurse because they wanted to and I wanted and needed to continue to provide them with antibodies and comfort, would they have been harmed if I stopped or never breastfed? No, but I feel they benefitted by my continuing. And I wanted and needed to do what I thought was best for my kids.

Last edited by chobie; 09-29-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #173
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Part of the problem with this issue (breastfeeding in public) is due to the fact that Americans are so uptight about nudity in general. As I travel the world, I am far more understanding of how other countries perceive women topless, such as in Europe on the beach (Duchess Kate for example) which is frowned upon here in the U.S.

On our first DCL Med cruise, it was interesting to see the "warning" provided ahead of time that nudity was accepted and may at times be viewed during the itinerary. We did see this on Italian and French beaches, and it is obviously only the Americans who are snickering and staring.

There are, of course, nudist resorts, several cruiselines with "topless" decks for passengers, etc., but for the most part you do not see topless women in public here. Except for the woman in NYC who is on a mission to walk around topless, lol.

I would be interested in how the pro breastfeeding women feel about this? There is a movement to pull the U.S. away from its Puritanical roots and advocate toplessness for women, just as it is ok for men. Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #174
jessc79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epcot.girl

The bolded part is very true.

Yes, there probably is a correlation between being breastfed and being more healthy (psychologically and physically) later in life. But it's probably not due to the breastfeeding. There's a heck of a lot of other stuff going on.

Let me explain. Let's split mothers into two groups: breastfeeding and bottlefeeding. I know it's more complicated than that, but for simplicity.

In the bottlefeeding group there are going to be adoptive parents, women who wanted to breastfeed but were unable to, women you didn't want to breastfeed but are excellent mothers nonetheless, parents who are negligent, etc. In the breastfeeding group there are going to be women who want to and successfully breastfeed. I'd hazard a guess that there will be more negligent parents in the bottlefeeding group than in the breastfeeding group not because parents who bottlefeed are negligent but because parents who are negligent are less likely to take the time to learn to breastfeed (I would guess) and so will by default fall into the bottlefeeding group along with the wonderful parents who chose (or were forced) to bottlefeed, for whatever reason. Please don't confuse what I'm saying here.

So, essentially, the breastfeeding group will have a larger percentage of interested parents than the bottlefeeding group due to uninterested parents messing up the make-up of the bottlefeeding group.

The bottlefeeding group will have children that have been neglected or had much upheaval in their lives ALONG with the kids who have had a wonderful upbringing. The breastfeeding group are largely made up of only children who were wanted and cared for. As such, it's no wonder the 'science' (whatever it may me - I haven't seen it myself) appears to favour breastfeeding.

But it's probably not because of the breastfeeding. There's so much more to it than that. Statistics are not as simple as they seem, and correlation does not equal causation.

But the science may be more complicated than it seems. It usually is.

Sorry, but it's up to the person making the claims (you) to provide the evidence, not to the rest of us to go finding it. If you want to use science, you need to reference your sources.
Nope, not really, I don't have to justify it. Besides, posters have already provided links that were of ignored by the "it's just wrong" crowd. Ive already found the evidence that informed my decision. As I stated previously I am only defending my right to parent as I choose and I don't care what others choose to do.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #175
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
Part of the problem with this issue (breastfeeding in public) is due to the fact that Americans are so uptight about nudity in general. As I travel the world, I am far more understanding of how other countries perceive women topless, such as in Europe on the beach (Duchess Kate for example) which is frowned upon here in the U.S.

On our first DCL Med cruise, it was interesting to see the "warning" provided ahead of time that nudity was accepted and may at times be viewed during the itinerary. We did see this on Italian and French beaches, and it is obviously only the Americans who are snickering and staring.

There are, of course, nudist resorts, several cruiselines with "topless" decks for passengers, etc., but for the most part you do not see topless women in public here. Except for the woman in NYC who is on a mission to walk around topless, lol.

I would be interested in how the pro breastfeeding women feel about this? There is a movement to pull the U.S. away from its Puritanical roots and advocate toplessness for women, just as it is ok for men. Thoughts?
No thanks. Don't feel like seeing a 75 year old woman topless.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #176
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

By the time the child is eating table food and able to get their nutrition from that food -(and WHO says 2 because it is aimed at Third world countries where there isn't enough food for everyone and that is the best chance for the child to get any nutrition) it is:

No longer breastfeeding it is breast comforting for child and Mom!!!! and not needed once they are eating.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #177
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
Its not just rude, its a disgusting thing to say.
Oh, the irony.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #178
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

This thread makes me think of the movie "Grown Ups". Anyone?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #179
chobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy
By the time the child is eating table food and able to get their nutrition from that food -(and WHO says 2 because it is aimed at Third world countries where there isn't enough food for everyone and that is the best chance for the child to get any nutrition) it is:

No longer breastfeeding it is breast comforting for child and Mom!!!! and not needed once they are eating.
So everything you ever did for your kid was an absolute need they had?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #180
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
So everything you ever did for your kid was an absolute need they had?
I'd be interested to know if your child "wanted" to breastfeed at 10 years old would you oblige?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: