Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #151
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway

Its not just rude, its a disgusting thing to say.
She's not saying that's what her opinion is, she's making the point that saying a women who breastfeeds a toddler is wrong is just as bad as her comment.

It's also rude and disgusting to say women who breastfeed past 365 days are doing for their needs.

It's wrong and disgusting for women to tear each other down over parenting choices.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #152
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
I'm not. I think pedophile in the making,
Puh-leese. Telling a 15 year old boy not to look at a ****ie is like telling a Dis'er not to look at Mickey Mouse.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #153
jessc79
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Its not just rude, its a disgusting thing to say.
Of course, so is insinuating a mother nursing her toddler is doing it for selfish reasons. But again, my statement has scientific support so...

ETA: statement instead of opinion.

Last edited by jessc79; 09-29-2012 at 10:49 AM.
jessc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #154
chobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78

Puh-leese. Telling a 15 year old boy not to look at a ****ie is like telling a Dis'er not to look at Mickey Mouse.
Again, all they see is a baby in front of the breast. Creepy if that turns them on.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #155
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
She's not saying that's what her opinion is, she's making the point that saying a women who breastfeeds a toddler is wrong is just as bad as her comment.

It's also rude and disgusting to say women who breastfeed past 365 days are doing for their needs.

It's wrong and disgusting for women to tear each other down over parenting choices.
Looks to me like that is her opinion. Things like this are exactly what cause the discussion to go completely pear shaped. Attitudes like that are exactly what cause a lack of support for breastfeeding mothers.

Quote:
For those who think it's wrong to nurse a toddler, no biggie. I'll just take solace in the fact that some day my emotionally and physically healthy adult kids will likely employ your maladjusted sickly ones.

See there's actual science to support that statement. It's rude, but at least it's supportable. Unlike your "it's not right" uneducated opinions.
Quote:
Of course, so is insinuating a mother nursing her toddler is doing it for selfish reasons. But again, my opinion has scientific support so...?
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #156
chobie

Quote:

Looks to me like that is her opinion. Things like this are exactly what cause the discussion to go completely pear shaped. Attitudes like that are exactly what cause a lack of support for breastfeeding mothers.
Right, but attitudes that women who breastfeed toddlers or breastfeed in public are harming their children are just fine?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #157
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

I also must say I'm all about it if a mother wants to breastfeed. It's great. I just have a nagging feeling that in this particular situation the woman was purpously overly exposing herself to see if she could get a reaction. If a woman wants to nurse her child discreetly under a blanket....all for it. If the toddler is pulling up her shirt and just getting a drink in between bites of his chicken nuggets that's rediculous.

Also for the breastfeeding moms you think you take a bunch of crap? I don't think it's NEAR the crap I've taken for NOT breastfeeding. The judgement usually goes both ways.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #158
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Right, but attitudes that women who breastfeed toddlers or breastfeed in public are harming their children are just fine?
I don't think anyone (or most) are saying they are harming their children. They are saying its just not always appropriate for a public setting.
Its about respect on both sides.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #159
chobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78
I also must say I'm all about it if a mother wants to breastfeed. It's great. I just have a nagging feeling that in this particular situation the woman was purpously overly exposing herself to see if she could get a reaction. If a woman wants to nurse her child discreetly under a blanket....all for it. If the toddler is pulling up her shirt and just getting a drink in between bites of his chicken nuggets that's rediculous.

Also for the breastfeeding moms you think you take a bunch of crap? I don't think it's NEAR the crap I've taken for NOT breastfeeding. The judgement usually goes both ways.
I pointed that out in a few of my comments. And I don't know how much crap you got for not breastfeeding, but I got a lot FOR breastfeeding from my family and especially when I did not stop after 6 weeks (which was the magical number of weeks back on the 90's). And lots of dirty looks in public with my under 365 day old babies under a blanket in public.

That's why I don't judge other women who don't breastfeed and condemn those who do.

Why would you jump on the most ridiculous characterization of breastfeeding mothers to make them feel like sexual deviants when you have been the victim of this type of meanness?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #160
jessc79
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I don't think anyone (or most) are saying they are harming their children. They are saying its just not always appropriate for a public setting.
I should have said statement instead of opinion. It's not how I truly feel.

But, in this regard, it's not about mutual respect. It's my right to do it, I have many valid reasons for doing it, and you should respect that, period. Issues that you might have about women's breasts or breast feeding in general are not my problem.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #161
chobie

Quote:

Well there are ones who have come right out and said that, so what is your comment to them? Because most of the women who don't have a problem with the public setting are not making derogatory statements about women who don't breastfeed.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #162
teacherforhi
Pit Stop!
My cats allow me to sleep in the bed with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessc79 View Post
For those who think it's wrong to nurse a toddler, no biggie. I'll just take solace in the fact that some day my emotionally and physically healthy adult kids will likely employ your maladjusted sickly ones.

See there's actual science to support that statement. It's rude, but at least it's supportable. Unlike your "it's not right" uneducated opinions.

In public or not, it's the right thing to do, medical and psychological evidence support it. Again, thank god the law protects my and my kids rights from the small minded.
Seriously? So because my youngest son's mother died giving birth to him he's going to grow up sickly and maladjusted because obviously he wasn't breast fed.

"If there's one thing you should know about bunnies...it's that they play to win."
teacherforhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #163
dbrn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessc79 View Post

See there's actual science to support that statement.
It's rude, but at least it's supportable. Unlike your "it's not right" uneducated opinions.

In public or not, it's the right thing to do, medical and psychological evidence support it. Again, thank god the law protects my and my kids rights from the small minded.
I think this statement is not only rude and hateful, it is uneducated and just as pig-headed as those of people who think it's wrong to nurse a toddler.

Due to surgery, I was physically unable to breast-feed. I guess the smart thing to do would have been to just not bring these children into the world, since they were doomed from the start. Selfish of me to take care of a serious physical issue BEFORE having children and taking away any chance they have to be healthy and successful. By the way, both of my children are quite well-adjusted and bright, and I'd be happy to follow up with you in 20 years when I have no doubt I can say the same. Their emotional, psychological, and physical well-being will be influenced by what I do for them during all of their childhood years, NOT by what I fed them as infants!

There are as many reasons NOT to breastfeed as there are to breastfeed. Judgmental people can be found on BOTH side of the issue. Before you complain about other people's uneducated opinions, maybe you should sit back and examine your own!
dbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #164
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I pointed that out in a few of my comments. And I don't know how much crap you got for not breastfeeding, but I got a lot FOR breastfeeding from my family and especially when I did not stop after 6 weeks (which was the magical number of weeks back on the 90's). And lots of dirt looks in public with my under 365 day old babies in public.

That's why I don't judge other women who don't breastfeed and condemn those who do.

Why would you jump on the most ridiculous characterization of breastfeeding mothers to make them feel like sexual deviants when you have been the victim of this type of meanness?
I never said they were that deviants. I was just pointing out...while some men can look at a breast and see it's function and purpose....most men see it's sexual purpose. To assume that because there is a baby in front of it that boys and men that see it aren't thinking of it in a sexual way is naive.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #165
jessc79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrn

I think this statement is not only rude and hateful, it is uneducated and just as pig-headed as those of people who think it's wrong to nurse a toddler.

Due to surgery, I was physically unable to breast-feed. I guess the smart thing to do would have been to just not bring these children into the world, since they were doomed from the start. Selfish of me to take care of a serious physical issue BEFORE having children and taking away any chance they have to be healthy and successful. By the way, both of my children are quite well-adjusted and bright, and I'd be happy to follow up with you in 20 years when I have no doubt I can say the same. Their emotional, psychological, and physical well-being will be influenced by what I do for them during all of their childhood years, NOT by what I fed them as infants!

There are as many reasons NOT to breastfeed as there are to breastfeed. Judgmental people can be found on BOTH side of the issue. Before you complain about other people's uneducated opinions, maybe you should sit back and examine your own!
Again, not my opinion. Perhaps try to grasp that I was responding to the folks who said me nursing my toddler is wrong. As a response to that, this obviously inflammatory comment that actually has evidence to support it.

Again, I don't care what you do with your kids and I don't think theyre sickly or maladjusted or shouldn't have been brought into the world. Get a grip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: