Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #136
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
I agree with the case with this particular woman, judge away! She did put herself out there, as did the women who had the feed-in,

However, the comments from women who have a problem with this are not limited to just the women who publicize, but to any woman who breastfeeds past a year, or when the kid cuts teeth (in my case that would have been 4 months) or even in public at all.
I see the comments about breastfeeding toddlers being more about in public than at all. Most people don't seem to have an issue with breastfeeding an infant in public. Its when we get to toddlers where the line about public breastfeeding gets blurry for some.

I heard the argument that its about feeding the child. The truth is, at that age there are other options while in certain situations. The whole "my hungry child needs to eat" doesn't fit like it does for an infant.

The soothing/calming argument is flimsy too. There are many ways to do that with children that age. As others have pointed out, you don't just give a toddler food to calm them.

Then there's the "bonding with my child" argument. I don't see how breastfeeding a toddler in a restaurant, target, or any other place like that is a great bonding time. Its just not the right time or place.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #137
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg
 
punkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
I see the comments about breastfeeding toddlers being more about in public than at all. Most people don't seem to have an issue with breastfeeding an infant in public. Its when we get to toddlers where the line about public breastfeeding gets blurry for some.

I heard the argument that its about feeding the child. The truth is, at that age there are other options while in certain situations. The whole "my hungry child needs to eat" doesn't fit like it does for an infant.

The soothing/calming argument is flimsy too. There are many ways to do that with children that age. As others have pointed out, you don't just give a toddler food to calm them.

Then there's the "bonding with my child" argument. I don't see how breastfeeding a toddler in a restaurant, target, or any other place like that is a great bonding time. Its just not the right time or place.
It is really not easy to explain to someone who never nursed a toddler, but I will try. Imagine your toddler has a "lovey" or "blankie" which she takes everywhere and needs it for comfort. He knows he can get it whenever he wants and that, in itself gives him comfort when he's away from it. Now imagine this toddler at Applebees and she's overstimulated or upset or for whatever reason needs his "lovey" and her mother who is holding the "lovey" refuses to give it to him.

I nursed two children, one into toddlerhood (sometimes in public) and believe me, very few people even noticed.
__________________
“You don’t want coon dogs chasing squirrels!” Justice Antonin Scalia.
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #138
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?
 
chobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 3 hours from wdw!
Posts: 9,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway

I see the comments about breastfeeding toddlers being more about in public than at all. Most people don't seem to have an issue with breastfeeding an infant in public. Its when we get to toddlers where the line about public breastfeeding gets blurry for some.

I heard the argument that its about feeding the child. The truth is, at that age there are other options while in certain situations. The whole "my hungry child needs to eat" doesn't fit like it does for an infant.

The soothing/calming argument is flimsy too. There are many ways to do that with children that age. As others have pointed out, you don't just give a toddler food to calm them.

Then there's the "bonding with my child" argument. I don't see how breastfeeding a toddler in a restaurant, target, or any other place like that is a great bonding time. Its just not the right time or place.
It shouldn't be an argument. Women should stop judging women about child raising choices. How many toddlers are breastfed in this country anyway, let alone in public? Is it really that much of an issue? Are you being constantly assaulted by toddler nursing every time you step out your front door?

Or does the publicity from this one story so bother you that there exists the mere possibility it might happen when you are out in public you feel you need to argue point for point against it?

I just don't get why this is an issue that so deeply effects people. You don't want to nurse your toddler? Don't. You get offended the one or two times in your life you might stumble across it? then look away and go on with your life.

There are no studies it is harmful to breastfeed a toddler in public or otherwise, either.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #139
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
It shouldn't be an argument. Women should stop judging women about child raising choices. How many toddlers are breastfed in this country anyway, let alone in public? Is it really that much of an issue? Are you being constantly assaulted by toddler nursing every time you step out your front door?

Or does the publicity from this one story so bother you that there exists the mere possibility it might happen when you are out in public you feel you need to argue point for point against it?

I just don't get why this is an issue that so deeply effects people. You don't want to nurse your toddler? Don't. You get offended the one or two times in your life you might stumble across it? then look away and go on with your life.

There are no studies it is harmful to breastfeed a toddler in public or otherwise, either.
I don't get the need for media attention and nurse-ins because of isolated events. Why make a big deal out of every little thing? Someone didn't like they were treated in Applebees, big deal. Can you imagine if every person went on Katie and organized sit-ins because they feel they were treated unfairly?

One woman saying she had a problem with breastfeeding in Applebees is hardly widespread discrimination that warrants national attention.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #140
jessc79
Mouseketeer
 
jessc79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 182

For those who think it's wrong to nurse a toddler, no biggie. I'll just take solace in the fact that some day my emotionally and physically healthy adult kids will likely employ your maladjusted sickly ones.

See there's actual science to support that statement. It's rude, but at least it's supportable. Unlike your "it's not right" uneducated opinions.

In public or not, it's the right thing to do, medical and psychological evidence support it. Again, thank god the law protects my and my kids rights from the small minded.
__________________

Last edited by jessc79; 09-29-2012 at 10:21 AM.
jessc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #141
lovemy3girls
DIS Veteran
 
lovemy3girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I am not looking at you, but I refuse to sit there and stare down at my plate. People see other people. A Toddler doesn't need to nurse in a restaurant.
I guess I just don't understand why something so natural and normal could make someone feel so uncomfortable that they would have to stare at their plate. When I am nursing in public, I look up, make eye contact with strangers, and smile at others. Not trying to draw attention to myself, just sitting there being me. And I am a nursing mother. I have never had anyone give me a hard time, weird look, or rude statement. I have had people start up lovely conversation or smile right back.
__________________
I am a stay at home mom of 5. Check out my blog about Disney and life with a large family!
http://thefloridafamily.com
lovemy3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #142
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran
 
mad madam mim78's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feckless View Post
A mother has every right to nurse a baby or toddler in public. If you find it offensive, look the other way. As long as people at other tables aren't making a racket, then I never even look at them - I pay attention to the friends and family at my table. I don't understand why this is even an issue.
Yes I'm sure you are. But what about the 15 year old boy sitting across the way who's got a boner. Yes it's natural. It's also a big ole ****ie. You have to know people are oggling you.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #143
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?
 
chobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 3 hours from wdw!
Posts: 9,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway

I don't get the need for media attention and nurse-ins because of isolated events. Why make a big deal out of every little thing? Someone didn't like they were treated in Applebees, big deal. Can you imagine if every person went on Katie and organized sit-ins because they feel they were treated unfairly?

One woman saying she had a problem with breastfeeding in Applebees is hardly widespread discrimination that warrants national attention.
I agree with that, the woman in question is going overboard. If it happened to me, i would simply not go back, maybe inform the management if the law but leave it at that.

But most of this thread is directed at deriding the choice of women to breastfeed past 365 days. Blanket statements are made that these women are doing for their own needs ( which of course implies bad mommying). Which is no better than the women who deride other women for not breastfeeding and accuse them of bad mommying. It's a choice, there are benefits and negatives to every parenting choices and we women should all back of a bit from attacking each others choices, IMO.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #144
jessc79
Mouseketeer
 
jessc79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78

Yes I'm sure you are. But what about the 15 year old boy sitting across the way who's got a boner. Yes it's natural. It's also a big ole ****ie. You have to know people are oggling you.
What?!? What kind of nursing moms have you seen where that could even be considered sexy!?!?!

I can't control sick people nor should I have to accommodate them.
__________________
jessc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #145
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran
 
mad madam mim78's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 943

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessc79 View Post
What?!? What kind of nursing moms have you seen where that could even be considered sexy!?!?!

I can't control sick people nor should I have to accommodate them.
Oh you're "accommidating" them alright.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #146
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?
 
chobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 3 hours from wdw!
Posts: 9,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78

Yes I'm sure you are. But what about the 15 year old boy sitting across the way who's got a boner. Yes it's natural. It's also a big ole ****ie. You have to know people are oggling you.
He should have been taught by his mother that breastfeeding is not sexual and to look away. If seeing a baby under a blanket or a shirt nursing turns him on, perhaps therapy would be in order. Is it the **** or the child that turns him on? Because when the baby is eating, you don't see the ****.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #147
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran
 
mad madam mim78's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 943

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
He should have been taught by his mother that breastfeeding is not sexual and to look away. If seeing a baby under a blanket or a shirt nursing turns him on, perhaps therapy would be in order. Is it the **** or the child that turns him on?
hahahahahaha i'm sure it's the ****ie.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #148
lovemy3girls
DIS Veteran
 
lovemy3girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
It is really not easy to explain to someone who never nursed a toddler, but I will try. Imagine your toddler has a "lovey" or "blankie" which she takes everywhere and needs it for comfort. He knows he can get it whenever he wants and that, in itself gives him comfort when he's away from it. Now imagine this toddler at Applebees and she's overstimulated or upset or for whatever reason needs his "lovey" and her mother who is holding the "lovey" refuses to give it to him.

I nursed two children, one into toddlerhood (sometimes in public) and believe me, very few people even noticed.
This is a great explanation. Thank you!
__________________
I am a stay at home mom of 5. Check out my blog about Disney and life with a large family!
http://thefloridafamily.com
lovemy3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #149
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?
 
chobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 3 hours from wdw!
Posts: 9,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78

hahahahahaha i'm sure it's the ****ie.
I'm not. I think pedophile in the making,
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #150
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessc79 View Post
For those who think it's wrong to nurse a toddler, no biggie. I'll just take solace in the fact that some day my emotionally and physically healthy adult kids will likely employ your maladjusted sickly ones.

See there's actual science to support that statement. It's rude, but at least it's supportable. Unlike your "it's not right" uneducated opinions.

In public or not, it's the right thing to do, medical and psychological evidence support it. Again, thank god the law protects my and my kids rights from the small minded.
Its not just rude, its a disgusting thing to say.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: