Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
lovemy3girls
DIS Veteran
 
lovemy3girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 579

Mom asked to leave Applebee's for breastfeeding

Anyone else feel strongly about this? I think it's terrible that this woman couldn't feed her baby and was asked to leave the restaurant. How do you feel about this news article?

http://thefloridafamily.com/2012/09/...-at-applebees/
__________________
I am a stay at home mom of 5. Check out my blog about Disney and life with a large family!
http://thefloridafamily.com
lovemy3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
handinpocket
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,253

This may have been just recently posted on her blog......but this incident happened quite awhile ago if IIRC.
handinpocket is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Is there a statement from the manager?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
lovemy3girls
DIS Veteran
 
lovemy3girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 579

The incident is reported to have happened on Sept 15th. The manager was the ont that asked her to leave but they did release this statement:
“We’re in the business of welcoming guests to our restaurants and our top priority is always to provide a friendly and comfortable environment for everyone, including nursing mothers who have the right to nurse in public,” the company said in a statement, according to 11 Alive.
__________________
I am a stay at home mom of 5. Check out my blog about Disney and life with a large family!
http://thefloridafamily.com
lovemy3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,362

I think that I remember this incident and if it's the one I'm thinking about it happened a long, long time ago.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy3girls View Post
The incident is reported to have happened on Sept 15th. The manager was the ont that asked her to leave but they did release this statement:
“We’re in the business of welcoming guests to our restaurants and our top priority is always to provide a friendly and comfortable environment for everyone, including nursing mothers who have the right to nurse in public,” the company said in a statement, according to 11 Alive.
I saw that, I was wondering if the actual manager that gave her the ultimatum had said why he asked her to go to the bathroom. I just wonder what his side of the story is.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
lovemy3girls
DIS Veteran
 
lovemy3girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 579

I think this is the 2nd incident like this at an Applebee's. this woman was on the Katie show yesterday and is hosting a "Nurse-In" at Applebee's this Saturday. Info about the nurse in: http://www.facebook.com/events/42466..._mall_activity
__________________
I am a stay at home mom of 5. Check out my blog about Disney and life with a large family!
http://thefloridafamily.com

Last edited by lovemy3girls; 09-27-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Add info
lovemy3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,040

I also wonder how she was feeding him since it wasn't a baby it was a toddler. It was an almost 2 yr old. Wonder if she was one of the expose everything and let the kid run around and come nurse Mothers. Even if she was holding him a 2 yr old is a lot harder to keep private. A lot more is going to be exposed. And was she doing it tastefully or letting everything hang out? which no one wants to see while eating.

Truthfully I don't think 2 yr olds need to be nursed in a restaurant. It isn't like they need to get all their nutrition from the breast as a baby would. I'm sure the kid is on table food and could have waited. That is my opinion.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,362

I agree Hannathy.

Since a nurse-in is planned, I wonder if all of this is just a set up. It wouldn't surprise me.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
lovemy3girls
DIS Veteran
 
lovemy3girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 579

Who knows if this mother was letting it all hang out and being distasteful about it. In that case I understand being asked to leave. However, I have to say, I have nursed my 5 children as babies AND toddlers in public and I did it discreetly. My son hated table food and nursing was how he got most of his nutrition. He needed to gain weight so if he asked to nurse in a restaurant I nursed him! There are also times where toddlers nurse for comfort, whether it be because they are scared or got hurt or whatever. Nursing them is a quick way to get them to quiet down without having to leave or disrupt others. There in nothing wrong with nursing a toddler, in my opinion.
__________________
I am a stay at home mom of 5. Check out my blog about Disney and life with a large family!
http://thefloridafamily.com
lovemy3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
jessc79
Mouseketeer
 
jessc79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy3girls
....There in nothing wrong with nursing a toddler, in my opinion.
Also, there's medical science. Who needs opinions when there's medical evidence supporting nursing toddlers?

Letting it all hang out? Please even if she was I doubt it was showing more than some people show in certain outfits. I wish they'd cover up or go to the bathroom.

Also clearly a high class place, that Applebee's. Wouldn't want to offend those folks with toddler-feeding. I bet that evil promiscuous nursing mom just wanted to set them up. Yup.
__________________
jessc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
lovemy3girls
DIS Veteran
 
lovemy3girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessc79 View Post
Also, there's medical science. Who needs opinions when there's medical evidence supporting nursing toddlers?

Letting it all hang out? Please even if she was I doubt it was showing more than some people show in certain outfits. I wish they'd cover up or go to the bathroom.

Also clearly a high class place, that Applebee's. Wouldn't want to offend those folks with toddler-feeding. I bet that evil promiscuous nursing mom just wanted to set them up. Yup.
"Like"! LOL
__________________
I am a stay at home mom of 5. Check out my blog about Disney and life with a large family!
http://thefloridafamily.com
lovemy3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out
 
wdwmom0f3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
I also wonder how she was feeding him since it wasn't a baby it was a toddler. It was an almost 2 yr old. Wonder if she was one of the expose everything and let the kid run around and come nurse Mothers. Even if she was holding him a 2 yr old is a lot harder to keep private. A lot more is going to be exposed. And was she doing it tastefully or letting everything hang out? which no one wants to see while eating.

Truthfully I don't think 2 yr olds need to be nursed in a restaurant. It isn't like they need to get all their nutrition from the breast as a baby would. I'm sure the kid is on table food and could have waited. That is my opinion.
I agree with this. This was a 20 month old child, not a two month old baby. The child could have waited and had something from the table instead. That mom was being inconsiderate of others IMO. Going a little further, I don't think a 20 month old needs to be nursed at all.
__________________
Carla DH DD 21 DD 16 DS 13
wdwmom0f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 View Post
Going a little further, I don't think a 20 month old needs to be nursed at all.
I agree with this.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #15
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessc79 View Post
Also, there's medical science. Who needs opinions when there's medical evidence supporting nursing toddlers?

Letting it all hang out? Please even if she was I doubt it was showing more than some people show in certain outfits. I wish they'd cover up or go to the bathroom.

Also clearly a high class place, that Applebee's. Wouldn't want to offend those folks with toddler-feeding. I bet that evil promiscuous nursing mom just wanted to set them up. Yup.
(to the bolded) That wouldn't really matter since I'm pretty sure public nudity is against the law in most places. If this mom was just sitting there, whole breast exposed, and the toddler was not nursing (sitting there, running around etc) I could see where the manager would ask her to do it somewhere else.
I nursed all my babies, they stayed still while they ate. I have never nursed a 2 year old, but I imagine not all of them just lay there and eat. This may have been a case where that child was up and about throughout his nursing time, leaving the mom sitting there with her breast exposed. Maybe that manager is a breast feeding hater because his mom never nursed him, and wanted to stuff them in the bathroom. We only have her side. We still have one side to hear.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: