Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
3DisneyBuggs
The only way I would fly is if John Travolta is the pilot!
Maroon is my color, like the pom poms!
Now I owe tag tax

Lets play Dis Doctor Sinus Version

Last week my DD had a cold. sore throat. She was better after a few days. Last Wednesday I had a tickle in my throat that turned into a painful throat, ears,stuffy nose,headache cough, fever. Friday my DS woke up with a painful throat. I took him to the DR who looked at my throat and ears too. He did a strep culture and prescribed antibiotics for us both and decongestant. No strep but I am still all congested, have a sinus headache and am coughing up green gookiness. A week with a pounding head and face is not fun. I hear all muffled and I'm just sick of looking and feeling awful. I did try to see my DR today but couldn't fit it into the kid's schedule. I do have an appointment Saturday. Is it most likely sinusitis? My kids all feel better but my DH is congested too- he thinks its allergies. So what do Dis Docs say?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

No advice, but I can relate to what you're going through. I don't have a cough, but I've had sinus pressure causing my left ear to hurt for a couple of weeks. My doc couldn't find any strep or infection, but gave me the antibiotics and recommended a decongestant. I'm hoping I feel better soon, this is getting old. Good luck with your doc on Saturday.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

I am forever getting sinus/allergy issues from mostly pine pollen and mold. What works best to clear me up is Robitussin DM Max (a liquid that also comes in the Walmart version for about $1.96). I can combine that with a Claritin D 12 hour (not the 24 hour ones but the ones that look like white m&m's) or Allegra and that clears me up very well. The doctor actually told me to start taking that combination and it works great! Good luck!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DisneyBuggs View Post
Last week my DD had a cold. sore throat. She was better after a few days. Last Wednesday I had a tickle in my throat that turned into a painful throat, ears,stuffy nose,headache cough, fever. Friday my DS woke up with a painful throat. I took him to the DR who looked at my throat and ears too. He did a strep culture and prescribed antibiotics for us both and decongestant. No strep but I am still all congested, have a sinus headache and am coughing up green gookiness. A week with a pounding head and face is not fun. I hear all muffled and I'm just sick of looking and feeling awful. I did try to see my DR today but couldn't fit it into the kid's schedule. I do have an appointment Saturday. Is it most likely sinusitis? My kids all feel better but my DH is congested too- he thinks its allergies. So what do Dis Docs say?
If you are coughing up crud you need a "respiratory antibiotic" and not a "sinus" one.

It could be allergies and a sinus infection as well however what happens is that is goes into a secondary infection, like a respiratory infection. You need different meds to tackle that type of infection.

It could be viral as well.

I just took my dd to Urgent Care. Problem here is that we cannot get "Sudafed" and have to get a prescription.

Her ears get filled with fluid causing dizziness, feeling sick, swelling in her face, etc. That is her "secondary" thing that happens. She already takes Claritin DAILY. I can't let that go because it just develops into something worse. The "Sudafed" (they sell generic here now since you have to have a prescription), helps her drain.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DisneyBuggs View Post
I'm not a doc nor do I play one of the DIs but...It's going around. Antibiotics will not cure most ear infections. Time will. That said, my DD's turned into pneumonia and mine did turn into sinusitis which I received my standard flonase nasal spray prescription for. Dr said it can take up to 14 days to clear. Hope you feel better.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

My guess is that it's viral. When I get stuff like this, I swear, it's 3 weeks until I'm better. My doctor had a stern talk with me many years ago about this stuff. Not everything is an infection nor should be think we should be better in a week. His rule for me is that if I don't have ANY improvement after 2 weeks, only then should I come in. Colds and respiratory viral illness hang on a long time. Some have lingering symptoms for up to six weeks.

Unless you have some structural abnormality in your nasal passages or you have constant congestion due to allergies, it's highly unlikely that you have a true bacterial infection and taking antibiotics when you have a virus on impedes your recovery because you wipe out your good bacteria along with the bad.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: