Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
binny
do something that MATTERS!

If you could live in any commonwealth country where would you live?

the list is here http://www.workpermit.com/uk/commonwealth_countries.htm

We were just kind of day dreaming and looking over the list. The thought of just letting go and starting over somewhere is appealing
Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
disneyshakeygirl
DIS Veteran

I'd stay right where I am - Canada. I also enjoy going to England too (I hold dual citizenship between Canada and England). If I had to pick however, definitely Canada.
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
binny
do something that MATTERS!

DH is Canadian and we are all Duals ( at least according to Canada) so we could up and go if we wanted to.

We have 2 sets of friends who have moved to Australia and I like that idea a lot
Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Canada, but of course! Love my country

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

I think I would have to pick New Zealand. It's the most beautiful place I have ever seen , and would love to be able to move there and spend the rest of my life in paradise!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

I would say one of the tropical islands...maybe the Seychelles or Vanuatu...BUT, I'd have to research their critter population (mainly spider). I don't want huge spiders crawling in my house or scorpions or anything like that. I'd have to find a nice condo that is in a relatively critter free area.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

I would go with New Zealand or Canada.

My dh loves New Zealand and took our 2 ds there in Jan.

Our friend lived in Tonga. Sometimes there is political unrest there. When they arrived there was a burning car at the airport etc. although it looks beautiful.

Our other friends lived in Kenya. They lived in the Rift Valley area. Their dd did get sick with brucelliosis though.

My cousin lived in Australia and South Africa for a while and liked them both.

So many to choose from for sure.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

I'm Canadian and know LOTS of people who did the Commonwealth work-abroad thing after university. Most went to Australia or the UK - I worked in London for a couple years, personally. I also know a couple people who went to teach in Ghana, and one person who taught in Cameroon, and had excellent experiences.

I would love to visit South Africa one day, but I don't think I'd want to live there long term.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Right here where I am!

Though I do hold dual citizenship with Great Britain so I could always settle there too..
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Australia or New Zealand. Though a friend who lived in those places says it is really expensive. We tried for a work abroad with my husband's company but the program was suspended. We would have been in Australia for two years. Hoping they reinstate the program someday.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
epcot.girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyshakeygirl View Post
I'd stay right where I am - Canada. I also enjoy going to England too (I hold dual citizenship between Canada and England). If I had to pick however, definitely Canada.
This makes me cry. There's no such thing as English citizenship. It's British citizenship.

OP, why the Commonwealth in particular?

I'd stay in the UK. I just know I couldn't go to Australia - it's the land where all the terrifying animals decided to live!

I'd be more likely to move to another EU country though if I was going to move at all. I can live anywhere in the EU without (or with little) restriction I believe. But I have no plans to leave the UK as it stands.

epcot.girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
PrincessBelle39
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by epcot.girl View Post
OP, why the Commonwealth in particular?

I'd stay in the UK. I just know I couldn't go to Australia - it's the land where all the terrifying animals decided to live!
Sorry, but I just had to comment on this. Terrifying animals. I'm not sure where people get the misconceptions they have about Australia. Sure there are parts of the country that have some but they don't roam free in our backyards. Its a really big country. We would be 2000km from the nearest crocodile and even then you dont see them walking down the street in town. Its like me saying that I couldn't go to New York because there are aligators in Florida.
We live in a fairly rural area and might get the odd koala or kangaroo if we are lucky maybe once or twice a year. If we lived in town, we wouldn't even get that. To be honest, I can't say I've ever seen anything that might be considered remotely terrifying.
September 2005 - Disneyland, Desert Palms Inn & Suites
August 1999 - Disneyland, Park Vue Inn
February 1996 - Disneyland, Carousel Inn
November 1994 - Disneyland Paris

Last edited by PrincessBelle39; 09-29-2012 at 07:31 PM.
PrincessBelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
low-key
DIS Veteran

Australia
Old 09-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBelle39 View Post
Sorry, but I just had to comment on this. Terrifying animals. I'm not sure where people get the misconceptions they have about Australia. Sure there are parts of the country that have some but they don't roam free in our backyards. Its a really big country. We would be 2000km from the nearest crocodile and even then you dont see them walking down the street in town. Its like me saying that I couldn't go to New York because there are aligators in Florida.
We live in a fairly rural area and might get the odd koala or kangaroo if we are lucky maybe once or twice a year. If we lived in town, we wouldn't even get that. To be honest, I can't say I've ever seen anything that might be considered remotely terrifying.
At least part of the perception comes from the hysterical Bill Bryson book, In a Sunburnt Country. His basic premise is that Australia is beautiful, amazing. And all the plants and animals are trying to kill you. That said, if I could I'd move to Queensland Australia in a heart beat: by far the most beautiful, interesting, and enjoyable place I've ever been.
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #15
epcot.girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBelle39 View Post
Crocodiles didn't even cross my mind. I was thinking more spiders and snakes (I'm arachnophobic and my husband is ophidiophobic), and while I'm sure the chance of running into one is remote I can barely cope with the fairly harmless spiders found here in the UK. It's not unique to Australia. I wouldn't live in many places because I'd have trouble with the wildlife (ie, Florida).

It's not the only reason I wouldn't choose to make Australia my permanent home, but the 'scary animals' thing was just the first to come to mind. I'd love to visit though (just like I love to visit Florida).

epcot.girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: