Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #1291
poohmickey
Mouseketeer

Location: West Coast - more than 3,000 miles from WDW - but that won't stop us!

[QUOTE=kris4360;46806888]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie
I have a question about driving vs. buses from POR. We're going in January and it will be 6 of us - DH and me and our 4 kids. We'll most likely have 2 strollers - an adaptive stroller for our oldest with special needs and a regular stroller for the 2 year old. We'll have our car with us and we're thinking it might be easier to just drive, instead of trying to juggle 4 kids and 2 strollers on the buses and trying to keep them from bothering everyone around us. DD qualifies for a handicapped parking permit and even though we don't normally need it in our every day life, we're thinking about getting it for WDW just because of the massive amount of walking.

Given all that, is there a reason why taking the buses would be better? I've heard that at MK it's better because the buses get you much closer to the entrance. The only other reason the buses might be an advantage would be if we wanted to drink, but DH and I aren't big drinkers, especially when we're with the kids, so I don't think that's a big selling point.

I hope this doesn't turn into a hot topic. I've seen threads turn hot from discussions of strollers, especially strollers on buses, and handicapped permits, but this thread seems pretty

When we have a car we usually ride the buses to MK, but we don't have strollers and our 2 kids are teenagers. The one time I would definitely drive ( in your situation) would be if we were staying until park closing. The lines for the buses can be really long and the buses are really crowded. Personally I would be less stressed if I knew I could get on the ferry and drive back in my own car. Plus, the ferry is an experience itself, especially on the way over to the MK.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #1292
danicaca
Mouseketeer

Just booked for our stay at POR May 28th-June 7th! I have learned so much from this board, and look forward to learning more as our trip approaches!
No countdown for now, but a trip in December of this year or perhaps next is in the works - woo hoo!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #1293
mommycal
Mouseketeer

silly ? but what does a car rental cost? I'm thinking for 3 kids, 2 aduts normally run for 6-7 days rental?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #1294
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita

Does this process work for all of the resorts? I am in the process of planning a trip and haven't settled on a resort yet, but POR is in the running.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
No, this happens to be an anomaly because a CM is on the thread. Most resorts have not taken faxes since the new computer system was installed and the computer can sort them automatically.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #1295
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycal
silly ? but what does a car rental cost? I'm thinking for 3 kids, 2 aduts normally run for 6-7 days rental?
You can find info re: car rental on the Transportation board, including pick up/drop off places on-site.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #1296
Clamesa
Mouseketeer

We stayed at POR Nov. 12 - Nov.22. The resort is beautiful and the staff very friendly. The check in was a breeze and when we got in our room there was a message from the front desk wishing we had a magical vacation.

Our room was near the East stop and that was convenient in the evenings after a long day in the parks. Our room was always clean, we had enough towels and toiletries. Our mousekeeper made animal towels and arranged the towels near the sink in a nice way.
The boat to DTD was fantastic, we used 4 times during our stay and just loved it. The buses run frecuently we never waited more than 5 minutes for any bus and always had a seat.

We ate a few times in the Riverside mill food court and the food was really good with a lot of options. The make your own salad was my favorite I tried the make your own pasta and it was good too.
We ate Dinner at the Boatwright's Dining Hall and it became a must do on future trips, the food was tasty, DH had the blackned fish and he does not eat much fish so I was worried but he said it was great. The service was very nice. We saw a couple with birthday buttons and all the servers sang the happy birthday (they mixed up with the song from Splash Mountain) and gave to them a bcard with ballons and necklaces. There is a lot to do in the resort but we did not have enough time.

Coronado Springs has been our home resort since we have DS and we tried a couple of others resorts before DS and yes we found good polite cast members, but the ones in POR are special and they will make you feel special or at least for 10 nights we had the luck of encountering the really happy ones.

April-May 2004 All star Music. My very first time in Disney. September 2004 All star Movies. Disney + Universal. Our first weeding anniversary. January 2010. CSR. Our son first time in Disney. May 2011. CSR. Mother's Day celebration at Disney. April-May2012.CSR: My birthday celebration In Disney. November 2012. POR RGR: Thanskgiving at Disney. September 2013 CSR our 10th wedding anniversary. September 2014 POR our 11 wedding anniversary.
DH DS Me
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #1297
Clamesa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicaca View Post
Just booked for our stay at POR May 28th-June 7th! I have learned so much from this board, and look forward to learning more as our trip approaches!
You will love it !! I'm already planning a trip for next september.

April-May 2004 All star Music. My very first time in Disney. September 2004 All star Movies. Disney + Universal. Our first weeding anniversary. January 2010. CSR. Our son first time in Disney. May 2011. CSR. Mother's Day celebration at Disney. April-May2012.CSR: My birthday celebration In Disney. November 2012. POR RGR: Thanskgiving at Disney. September 2013 CSR our 10th wedding anniversary. September 2014 POR our 11 wedding anniversary.
DH DS Me
Old 11-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #1298
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycal View Post
You'd have to talk to AVIS, Enterprise, Triangle, Etc to find that out. But usually they work a weekly rate for pretty cheap. 5 occupants should be able to get a nice sedan and not to cramped.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #1299
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

We visited POR for an hour or so last winter and it was so beautiful that we will stay there in January!

We are bringing a high school foreign exchange student from Nigeria. Her life in Nigeria is very third-world. Everything here is new to her. She had never used a computer before, never eaten Chinese/Mexican/Italian/etc food, never been on an escalator, no shopping malls, never been swimming, never ridden a bike, and never (fill in the blank). It has been fun watching her experience new things.

Given that this will likely be her only opportunity to see Disney, I am interested in suggestions for amazing things for her to see or do, especially at POR. Is there anything that Disney does for "special" guests?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #1300
ILoveMMouse
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Hey BSG, they were right they are talking about, "from the Magic Kingdom to POR."
Thanks, Venhomhatch.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #1301
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycal
Depends on the time of year. It's more around christmas or spring break. But we were there last week and we paid 250. (10 dollars more per day if you take the insurance) for midsize car for 10 days. Advantage car rental.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #1302
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInMN
We visited POR for an hour or so last winter and it was so beautiful that we will stay there in January!

We are bringing a high school foreign exchange student from Nigeria. Her life in Nigeria is very third-world. Everything here is new to her. She had never used a computer before, never eaten Chinese/Mexican/Italian/etc food, never been on an escalator, no shopping malls, never been swimming, never ridden a bike, and never (fill in the blank). It has been fun watching her experience new things.

Given that this will likely be her only opportunity to see Disney, I am interested in suggestions for amazing things for her to see or do, especially at POR. Is there anything that Disney does for "special" guests?
Definitely see Yee-hah Bob in the lounge; he always recognizes all kinds of occasions.

Do the 4 person surrey bike around both resorts and tell her about the story behind the development of the Louisiana Territory, and the US in general.

Take the water taxi to DTD and stroll through the shops. Give her something to remind her of your family.

Take lots of pics and make a collage for her to take home to remember the trip. Last year, I went with two families and I took pictures of them at the entrance of each park and gave it to them for a gift.

Purchase the passport at Epcot and let her have it signed at each country. She can learn a few words in each language.

There are millions of memories you can make.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #1303
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
No, this happens to be an anomaly because a CM is on the thread.
No, that's not really why it works at all (although I'm sure the tips here help). It's mostly because the room assignment manager at POR is very conscious that these seemingly little things can really make a guest's visit so much more magical, and he tries to help out wherever possible. In fact he told me he enjoys reading guest faxes and adding that bit of extra magic to people's stays.

I know he and his team actually go to a lot of effort - even without people sending in faxes - and they run daily reports on the computer to try to catch linked bookings, check for recurring surnames, look for requests, and even pick up sequential bookings (such as one night before and then a block during free dining, for example) to try to keep guests in the same room, etc.

But I agree that not all resorts are always quite so good at this.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #1304
Devi8or
Earning My Ears

I'll be there with my family in just under 4 days....can't wait.

Any last minute tips or things I need to do whole I'm there? I think the first day were gonna just relax and walk around. I'm thinking boardwalk and Downtown Disney. Probably hit the pool if the weather permits and maybe drag the kids to the arcade....what am I missing????
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #1305
Lita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley

No, that's not really why it works at all (although I'm sure the tips here help). It's mostly because the room assignment manager at POR is very conscious that these seemingly little things can really make a guest's visit so much more magical, and he tries to help out wherever possible. In fact he told me he enjoys reading guest faxes and adding that bit of extra magic to people's stays.

I know he and his team actually go to a lot of effort - even without people sending in faxes - and they run daily reports on the computer to try to catch linked bookings, check for recurring surnames, look for requests, and even pick up sequential bookings (such as one night before and then a block during free dining, for example) to try to keep guests in the same room, etc.

But I agree that not all resorts are always quite so good at this.

Andre
This is very good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

DL - numerous times as I grew up in CA
WDW - CBR 97, Poly May 2013
DCL - Dream April 2014
DCL - Fantasy August Eastern Caribbean 2015

Me 40 DH 48, DD7, DD5
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread