Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #1096
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Just booked this morning! We've never stayed at POR before, so I'm looking forward to reading this thread over the weekend. Woohoo, so excited!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #1097
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate
Just booked this morning! We've never stayed at POR before, so I'm looking forward to reading this thread over the weekend. Woohoo, so excited!
Check our portorleans.org too!
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #1098
macadoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Normal pace, 5 - 6 minutes.

Last year, we did it with a 14 month old who wanted to walk so it was more like ten or twelve, but he was a happy camper!

There are never too many questions to ask a person who loves POR the way we do.
Thank you I can handle 5 - 6 minutes
Old 11-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #1099
portocall
I'm gonna try the water and swat next time

I've said it before, we just didn't look out the window enough to justify the cost. We love exploring the resort and it's beauty, but the view wasn't something we even noticed when we were in the room so this time we are hoping standard equals parking lot. Everyone vacations differently though and while the actual view was stunning of the river, we just forgot to look. As I type this the car is being packed by all my boys and we are about to head out. Excited doesn't come close to how we are feeling right now.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #1100
macadoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by portocall View Post
I've said it before, we just didn't look out the window enough to justify the cost. We love exploring the resort and it's beauty, but the view wasn't something we even noticed when we were in the room so this time we are hoping standard equals parking lot. Everyone vacations differently though and while the actual view was stunning of the river, we just forgot to look. As I type this the car is being packed by all my boys and we are about to head out. Excited doesn't come close to how we are feeling right now.
I know we won't be in the room long enough to enjoy any view so quite happy with a car park view, would prefer to be nearer a quiet pool with no view and preferably not too far to the drinks refills

So exciting for you have a brilliant time
Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #1101
jerseygirl81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
I just wanted to say Hello I saw where you are from, I grew up in Clifton. Linda
Pop Dec 09
CBR Nov 11
CSR Aug 12
POR Nov 13
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Aug 14
Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #1102
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl81 View Post
I just wanted to say Hello I saw where you are from, I grew up in Clifton. Linda
Hi there! Thanks for the friendly hello!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #1103
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

For what it's worth, and to put the other side of the argument, we do tend to book River View at POR. I agree it's probably not technically worth $30 extra in the cold light of day, but once it's booked I somehow don't notice that incremental cost.

There are several reasons for liking River View, none of them perhaps compelling on their own, but they do add up.

First, the locations of the river view rooms are generally among the best at the resort (even better than some of the Preferred Location rooms). The easy access to the riverbank pathway means that whatever building you are in, you've got very easy access to the main pool area and the main building, plus pretty good access to the South bus stop (though not so much to the other stops).

Second, we're not 100% commando park touring types, and we do tend to spend plenty of time lazing around the resort. Even sitting in the room, the view really is very nice and much better than staring out over a parking lot. Because of the separated raised access walkways, which have many different access points, there honestly is VERY little foot traffic immediately past the rooms, so we mostly keep the blinds open when we're in the room.

Finally, it's nice to be able to step outside of the room from time to time, just for some fresh air and to enjoy the scenery. I'll often do that first thing in the morning, before everyone else wakes up, and just lean on the railing and watch the river, wildlife, the odd jogger running down the riverbank pathway, etc. It really is an amazing relaxing place to be.

Sometimes of an evening we'll pull a couple of chairs outside into the little recessed alcove section and have drink. I know it's not a "private" balcony as such, but as I said the foot traffic is very limited around each immediate room location, and anyway it's kinda nice to say hi to your neighbours anyway. I love watching the boats and the evening horse & carriage rides going past from the mansion buildings.

As I said, I suspect none of these are worth $30 directly on their own, but given that the rooms already cost the best part of $200 anyway the extra charge somehow doesn't seem such a jump.

However I can also see the argument that if you're going to keep the blinds shut all the time, and be out at the parks from 8am until 10pm, then there's really no point in getting anything other than the cheapest option. That's just not us though.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #1104
Kevin1281
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
For what it's worth, and to put the other side of the argument, we do tend to book River View at POR. I agree it's probably not technically worth $30 extra in the cold light of day, but once it's booked I somehow don't notice that incremental cost.

There are several reasons for liking River View, none of them perhaps compelling on their own, but they do add up.

First, the locations of the river view rooms are generally among the best at the resort (even better than some of the Preferred Location rooms). The easy access to the riverbank pathway means that whatever building you are in, you've got very easy access to the main pool area and the main building, plus pretty good access to the South bus stop (though not so much to the other stops).

Second, we're not 100% commando park touring types, and we do tend to spend plenty of time lazing around the resort. Even sitting in the room, the view really is very nice and much better than staring out over a parking lot. Because of the separated raised access walkways, which have many different access points, there honestly is VERY little foot traffic immediately past the rooms, so we mostly keep the blinds open when we're in the room.

Finally, it's nice to be able to step outside of the room from time to time, just for some fresh air and to enjoy the scenery. I'll often do that first thing in the morning, before everyone else wakes up, and just lean on the railing and watch the river, wildlife, the odd jogger running down the riverbank pathway, etc. It really is an amazing relaxing place to be.

Sometimes of an evening we'll pull a couple of chairs outside into the little recessed alcove section and have drink. I know it's not a "private" balcony as such, but as I said the foot traffic is very limited around each immediate room location, and anyway it's kinda nice to say hi to your neighbours anyway. I love watching the boats and the evening horse & carriage rides going past from the mansion buildings.

As I said, I suspect none of these are worth $30 directly on their own, but given that the rooms already cost the best part of $200 anyway the extra charge somehow doesn't seem such a jump.

However I can also see the argument that if you're going to keep the blinds shut all the time, and be out at the parks from 8am until 10pm, then there's really no point in getting anything other than the cheapest option. That's just not us though.

Andre
I appreciate the insight. I'm still unsure about what to do. Pre-baby, we were open to close park people. My son will be a year and a half when we go, so I'm guessing we'll be back at the resort for a nap at least once a day. It would be nice to have a cool view while my little man is napping, but my in-laws are also coming, which means 2 rooms. River View = $30 more than standard. $30 x 2 rooms x 6 nights = $360. I'm thinking that $360 might be better spent elsewhere. Maybe not though? Tough decision...but what an exciting tough decision. haha.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #1105
LaurenM
Mouseketeer

This will be our first time staying at POR, and we couldn't be more excited! We have booked a king room, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a room outside of AB area. Any one know what the possibility of that is?

Old 11-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #1106
LaurenM
Mouseketeer

Does anyone have a chart, or know of where I can find a chart of expected travel times between the resort and DTD/parks?

Old 11-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #1107
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenM View Post
This will be our first time staying at POR, and we couldn't be more excited! We have booked a king room, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a room outside of AB area. Any one know what the possibility of that is?
We booked a King room, too. I was wondering if there was a chart/map of King rooms out there somewhere. I think I would prefer Magnolia Bend section, but really as long as we're close to the main building, I'll be happy
Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #1108
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Hello! We just changed our April reservation to a standard view in a Royal Guest Room.

Wondering what I should request to be close to bridge to main lobby area???

Should I ask for "close to lobby"? Or "Oak Manor?"

Thanks!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 11-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #1109
wdwmaw
planin' next trip

Quote:
Does anyone have a chart, or know of where I can find a chart of expected travel times between the resort and DTD/parks?
Downtown Disney isn't listed but here are the distances for the others. These are not the times just miles. Way to many factors have an impact on the time. Busses run around every 15 min. You may walk up and a bus may come in a minute or two or you may wait 15 minutes just for the bus to arrive. The bus makes several stops at POR so factor that in for each stop. The number of strollers/ EVC can add several minutes to each stop. Then just factor in the distance from the info below. Others can probably expain this much better.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resor...-distances.htm

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/miles.htm

24 trips and plannin' the next 1

Last edited by wdwmaw; 11-17-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #1110
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Andre's site gives the travel times for the parks here:

http://www.portorleans.org/buses.php

And the time for DTD for when you take the ferry here:

http://www.portorleans.org/ferryboats.php
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: