Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #1066
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon
 
Venomhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 4,692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T in PA View Post
Sorry, our room category is RGM, River view.
River view rooms are generally nice locations already. Some guests swear by the Parterre Building, others like myself just like Oak Manor better!
Venomhatch is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #1067
HeatherLassell
Queen of the PTR
 
HeatherLassell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 2,118

I wouldn't have traded my room in Oak Manor for any other room
HeatherLassell is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #1068
time4Mickey
Mouseketeer
 
time4Mickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 312

We just booked a vacation in May. I see that some of you have talked about preferred rooms but I was told by the cm who book my room that there were no preferred rooms at Port Orleans Riverside. We needed connecting rooms so maybe that is why. We did get Riverview rooms though. My question is there river view rooms in both the Magnolia Bend and Alligator Bayou?

Thanks,
Karen
time4Mickey is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #1069
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4Mickey
We just booked a vacation in May. I see that some of you have talked about preferred rooms but I was told by the cm who book my room that there were no preferred rooms at Port Orleans Riverside. We needed connecting rooms so maybe that is why. We did get Riverview rooms though. My question is there river view rooms in both the Magnolia Bend and Alligator Bayou?

Thanks,
Karen
If you booked under a discount, only certain rooms are available in order to fill them. If they are filled, why offer a discount.

Also Disney added a lot of booking categories based on requests. People will pay extra for rooms that are now premium, including preferred.

There are riverview rooms in both sides.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #1070
ajordan79
Mouseketeer
 
ajordan79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: WV
Posts: 87

Are there a number if rooms in the Magnolia building that are considered garden view or just a certain set?
__________________
ajordan79 is offline  
Old 11-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #1071
DsnyMama
DIS Veteran
 
DsnyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,028

Jumping aboard We've decided to stay at POR in a Royal Room for our Sept/Oct trip next year!
__________________
Amber Richard Ava {5} Levi {3} Aspen {7m}
Past Trips * January 2008 AKL * March 2009 CSR * November 2011 POP *
*November 2012 AKV/CSR/Poly * February 2014 POP/AKL *

Up Next: October2014
Feb 2014 TR - click HERE
DsnyMama is offline  
Old 11-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #1072
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict
 
andrewilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 5,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4Mickey View Post
I was told by the cm who book my room that there were no preferred rooms at Port Orleans Riverside. We needed connecting rooms so maybe that is why. We did get Riverview rooms though. My question is there river view rooms in both the Magnolia Bend and Alligator Bayou?
There are Preferred Locations at Port Orleans Riverside (including many connecting rooms, which can be requested but are not guaranteed unless there are unaccompanied minors in the second room) but as has been said they might have been sold out for the dates or booking type you were trying to make.

That said, you've now got River View booked anyway, and a number of the river view category rooms are located within the 'preferred' buildings 14 and 27, so you could request those if you wish. There are also some river view rooms in Alligator Bayou building 38 too, and in the Acadian House and Magnolia Terrace mansion buildings. See the map in the first post for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajordan79 View Post
Are there a number if rooms in the Magnolia building that are considered garden view or just a certain set?
Erm... yes? Yes, there are a number of garden view rooms there, and yes they are in certain settings (overlooking gardens or courtyards rather than the parking lots).

Andre
__________________
Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!


For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline  
Old 11-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #1073
macadoo
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 54

Hi, been reading pages and pages of this thread over the last few weeks and notice a lot of people have booked garden and water views. We have booked to stay here for the first time next August just a standard room so presuming we will probably have a car park view? Can anyone tell me their experience of staying in a standard room?

It won't really matter as we are at Disney but just want to get an idea of what to expect
macadoo is offline  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #1074
McKelly
DIS Veteran
 
McKelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 2,891

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadoo View Post
Hi, been reading pages and pages of this thread over the last few weeks and notice a lot of people have booked garden and water views. We have booked to stay here for the first time next August just a standard room so presuming we will probably have a car park view? Can anyone tell me their experience of staying in a standard room?

It won't really matter as we are at Disney but just want to get an idea of what to expect
Weird.......I was just coming here to ask the same thing!! Has anybody booked a standard view and NOT gotten a parking lot view?
__________________
McKelly is offline  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #1075
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadoo View Post
Hi, been reading pages and pages of this thread over the last few weeks and notice a lot of people have booked garden and water views. We have booked to stay here for the first time next August just a standard room so presuming we will probably have a car park view? Can anyone tell me their experience of staying in a standard room?

It won't really matter as we are at Disney but just want to get an idea of what to expect
Believe or not, I have had just about every type of view and I actually liked our "parking lot" view last year. It was all my traveling companions could afford, but it actually worked out well. We had two smokers and they were able to step away from the building out into the parking lot to smoke. I don't think we saw 4 cars all week.

We were in the far corner and never saw more than 2 - 3 people pass our room all week. It was very quiet and private, and since I had the corner room, I had a nice view of the landscaping. We were in the back corner of Acadian House on the side next to Magnolia Terrace.

It was a drop-off point for the Mousekeeping Staff in the morning, but they were always very quiet and respectful.

The walk to the main building every morning was lovely.

We could have used either the East or North Depot, but we preferred to use the North Depot when we came back to the resort at night. Once you walked down the sidewalk and got into the building area, you were sheltered by the overhead corridor. While we were there the week after Thanksgiving and it was not that hot, I would really be appreciative of that to be out of the sun walking to my room if it were in the summer.

Also, the quiet pool was just steps away. We used it every single night.

I will be going back next year twice. On my first trip, we will be driving and again, my traveling companions can only afford the standard view, so I am happy. I requested Acadian House again.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #1076
macadoo
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Believe or not, I have had just about every type of view and I actually liked our "parking lot" view last year. It was all my traveling companions could afford, but it actually worked out well. We had two smokers and they were able to step away from the building out into the parking lot to smoke. I don't think we saw 4 cars all week.

We were in the far corner and never saw more than 2 - 3 people pass our room all week. It was very quiet and private, and since I had the corner room, I had a nice view of the landscaping. We were in the back corner of Acadian House on the side next to Magnolia Terrace.

It was a drop-off point for the Mousekeeping Staff in the morning, but they were always very quiet and respectful.

The walk to the main building every morning was lovely.

We could have used either the East or North Depot, but we preferred to use the North Depot when we came back to the resort at night. Once you walked down the sidewalk and got into the building area, you were sheltered by the overhead corridor. While we were there the week after Thanksgiving and it was not that hot, I would really be appreciative of that to be out of the sun walking to my room if it were in the summer.

Also, the quiet pool was just steps away. We used it every single night.

I will be going back next year twice. On my first trip, we will be driving and again, my traveling companions can only afford the standard view, so I am happy. I requested Acadian House again.

Thanks for the reply, car park view actually sounds quite pleasant . I like the idea too of it being quiet and private. You answered another of my questions thank you, if we have a car park view does that mean we will be a good distance away from the quiet pool...thankfully not
macadoo is offline  
Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #1077
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran
 
FigmentChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,918

Our family has always stayed in the standard rooms as well. Last October, we had the parking lot view and we had no issues. I think it was probably also a lot less foot traffic than if we had a pool or garden view. It was quiet and the cars that were there didn't bother us.

We always rent a car, so I prefer to stay on that side of the buildings. I have noticed that there aren't a whole lot of people who bring their cars....the parking lot seemed pretty empty to me.

Hope this helps!
__________________


Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
FigmentChick is offline  
Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #1078
mommy2jack
Mouseketeer
 
mommy2jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 318

It's official for us!!! We booked our May trip last night!! So excited to stay at POR for the first time. We haven't stayed on Disney property since our honeymoon in 2004 (stayed at the Poly). We were going back and forth trying to decide if we should just go value (price difference was about $500!). But in the end we decided the values are too much IN YOU FACE Disney and since we usually stay off site in time shares we thought a room at POR would be more our style! SO EXCITED!! We booked a preferred room because we have too little ones and I want to be as close as possible to the main building and pool. We make our ADRs next Friday and I'm also going to book the Bayou Adventure cruise for my 4 year old.
__________________
Me , DH , DS (5) , DD (3)

mommy2jack is offline  
Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #1079
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadoo View Post
Thanks for the reply, car park view actually sounds quite pleasant . I like the idea too of it being quiet and private. You answered another of my questions thank you, if we have a car park view does that mean we will be a good distance away from the quiet pool...thankfully not
Yippee!

I forgot to mention also that we pulled our chairs out in the morning and sat outside while everyone was getting ready. We had two connecting rooms with 5 adults and two kids. I was first to get ready, along with the guys, so we would sit outside and drink a cup of coffee while the girls and the kids were getting ready.

We kept the chairs in the offset, so people could still walk by.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline  
Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #1080
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentChick View Post
Our family has always stayed in the standard rooms as well. Last October, we had the parking lot view and we had no issues. I think it was probably also a lot less foot traffic than if we had a pool or garden view. It was quiet and the cars that were there didn't bother us.

We always rent a car, so I prefer to stay on that side of the buildings. I have noticed that there aren't a whole lot of people who bring their cars....the parking lot seemed pretty empty to me.

Hope this helps!
I have to agree with the pool views; I wanted pool view and got first floor one year at Oak Manor. I thought it would be great, for a solo trip, to just walk out anytime, day or night and sit by the pool. There is a lot of foot traffic going to the back of the building, especially in the evenings and it was a lot busier than I expected.

The following year, I was on the other side of Oak Manor facing the woods, and I was about halfway down the wing on the 3rd floor. I actually preferred that room much more. It was so quiet; I didn't hear anyone around me.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: