Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #736
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prose View Post
We are just back from POR. Overall, it was a fantastic stay. We loved our Royal room, the location in Oak Manor was really convenient and quiet. We never had any bus issues at either the South or East Depots – one bus to MK was packed one day, but there was an empty one coming up right behind it. The ladies and gentlemen at the Concierge desk were outstanding, and we loved the food court. One issue we did have, however, was with housekeeping. Our first day we called for extra towels – DD loved spending a couple of hours a day at the quiet pool, so we ran out of towels quickly. After making the call for towels, we left for dinner. When we came back about 4 hours later, still no towels. We called again and they were delivered about 10 minutes later. The largest problem came one day when we came back to our room for a break in the afternoon around 1:30. The room had not yet been cleaned, but the housekeeper was just a couple of doors away. We asked if she could come back a little later so we could take naps. About an hour later, she knocked on the door (yeah, we should have put out the Do Not Disturb sign, but I was still awake at that point while DH was out cold). I spoke with her and she suggested that she come back at 5:00. That was perfect. We slept for a bit, then were out the door headed to an ADR by 4:30. When we returned around 9:30 our room had not yet been cleaned. DH called (I told him it was going to a call center), and eventually was transferred to the Housekeeping office. The person there said that yes, we were listed for a “late cleaning” and that they probably had just not gotten around to us yet. At 9:30pm? DH demanded that they send someone ASAP, which they did, although she was obviously not happy to be there and was not pleasant – whether she was annoyed at us or at her co-worker for forgetting us I couldn’t tell. We did our best to stay out of her way and be ultra-nice to her – it wasn’t her fault that the room was forgotten. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned POR staff being rude. Overall, the resort staff was terrific, but we did notice that the housekeeping staff rarely smiled or said hello. While she was cleaning, DH went down to the front desk and spoke to Concierge and then to the Duty Manager. They both agreed that an uncleaned room was not acceptable. The manager comped us 50% off the room for that night, which we appreciated. We certainly didn’t expect any more than that. He said that they would be addressing our situation in the next morning’s meeting, and he would get back to us the next day. That never happened. So I learned that if you ask for something like a late cleaning, you should follow up personally with housekeeping to make sure it will happen. I will add that we had tipped $5 housekeeping a day for 3 people up to that point, so that was not an issue here. It didn’t spoil our stay by any means, but it was not the outstanding level of service we had experienced the last time we stayed at POR. It just appears that perhaps there are some management/training issues in the housekeeping area that need addressed.
At this point, I would have just made the room up myself, and not provided a tip for maybe two days. LTWAH.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #737
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona65 View Post
At this point, I would have just made the room up myself, and not provided a tip for maybe two days. LTWAH.
I agree! We would skip days here and there during our week too. We hang our towels up after we shower and pull the bedding up anyway. Don't really see the point in mousekeeping having to come every day when we're hardly in the room.

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #738
wdwmaw
planin' next trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwdisney View Post
I agree! We would skip days here and there during our week too. We hang our towels up after we shower and pull the bedding up anyway. Don't really see the point in mousekeeping having to come every day when we're hardly in the room.
We always do this except on the days we don't want it we find Mousekeeping person, give them a tip inside one of our mousekeeping envelopes, ask for fresh towels and stuff and give them a break. This has always worked for us and boy have we gotten some great service in return. One lady showed up on check out day and brought DD a special towel animal to take with her. We took pictures and everything. I love to walk into a fresh clean room but we like spreading pixie dust even more.

Would love to know what the traditional busiest day for Mousekeeping, the hardest day for them Would love to plan some of those days for our next trip instead of just randomly picking them. We know for sure we are going to do this Christmas Day.

24 trips and plannin' the next 1

Last edited by wdwmaw; 11-01-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: added question
Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #739
calngavinsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissarose View Post
Oh god it's probably going to happen right when I get there on February 2. And yes, I'm coming from Canada and I have never been to POR and I wanted to swim in the main pool! I know it's probably the best time to do it, but just because it's February doesn't mean nobody will want to swim!!
Hey fellow Canuck! You aren't the only ones worrying....we arrive on the 3rd for a return trip to POR and hopefully we will be in that pool too!

Last edited by calngavinsmom; 11-01-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #740
peaceluv&mickeymouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin312
I live in the San Francisco area and I would be totally bummed if the pool isn't open while we are there. We are at POR Jan 5-15 so I hope the pool isn't closed.
Me too we are there jan 3-13.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #741
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by calngavinsmom View Post
Hey fellow Canuck! You aren't the only ones worrying....we arrive on the 3rd for a return trip to POR and hopefully we will be in that pool too!
I've not heard anything specific either, but I do agree with the other posters who've said that early February would be an ideal time for any routine annual maintenance work to be done.

However if so, they only ever close one pool at a time so the other five Riverside pools and the POFQ main pool will be still be available to you.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 11-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #742
BigKid45
Mouseketeer

Great News

WDW Customer Service responded No worries, the pool is open!!

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

I did contact Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside directly, and they currently don't have any record of the Ol' Man Island Pool going down for rehabilitation. If any sort of closure is scheduled during your visit, you will receive a letter advising you of the closure.

It seems that the pool closure comment was selected by mistake while entering the request for connecting rooms.

I certainly apologize for the confusion, but please rest assured that your children will be able to enjoy the water slide and play areas at Ol' Man Island Pool.

I hope this information has been helpful; we look forward to seeing you and your family in February!

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
Camille Jenks
WDW Online Communications

WDW-'72 & '73 Offsite, '05 & '06 Offsite, '08 WL-Club, '09 ASMu-FS, '10 Pop, '12 Windsor Hills, '13 POR
DL-Offsite every Oct 1974-1987 (Corp. Nites)
Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #743
Sherrkel
Disney World Dreamer . . . Wish I Could Be At My Home Away From Home . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKid45 View Post
WDW Customer Service responded No worries, the pool is open!!

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

I did contact Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside directly, and they currently don't have any record of the Ol' Man Island Pool going down for rehabilitation. If any sort of closure is scheduled during your visit, you will receive a letter advising you of the closure.

It seems that the pool closure comment was selected by mistake while entering the request for connecting rooms.

I certainly apologize for the confusion, but please rest assured that your children will be able to enjoy the water slide and play areas at Ol' Man Island Pool.

I hope this information has been helpful; we look forward to seeing you and your family in February!

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
Camille Jenks
WDW Online Communications
YAAAAY!! Thanks so much for checking in to this further. Now we'll be able to enjoy some relaxation and refreshments from the poolside bar (responsibly, of course) while the kids enjoy the pool and slide. Thanks!!

POR Grand Gathering Feb. 2013 **CSR Grand Gathering 2011, 2009 & 2007 ** CBR 1995 **Disneymoon 1989

Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #744
SeniorPrincess
Earning My Ears

early registration?

I was surprised to see a note on my package res that says we can check in a full 10 days prior to arrival. I thought early check in meant on your way from the airport or something! Anyway, could you experienced POR guests give me your feedback on this system. What are the pros and cons? I assume if we do it online we are stuck with whatever room we are assigned as opposed to being able to ask for a change in person if we wait in regular registration line? Or should I fax my room preferences PRIOR to the 10-day early check in period? Thanks from a POR newbie!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #745
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorPrincess View Post
I was surprised to see a note on my package res that says we can check in a full 10 days prior to arrival. I thought early check in meant on your way from the airport or something! Anyway, could you experienced POR guests give me your feedback on this system. What are the pros and cons? I assume if we do it online we are stuck with whatever room we are assigned as opposed to being able to ask for a change in person if we wait in regular registration line? Or should I fax my room preferences PRIOR to the 10-day early check in period? Thanks from a POR newbie!
Requests should be on your reservation. You can place them anytime you place your reservation.

You check in 10 days prior to actual check-in date. You indicate a time of arrival and a credit card for your account. You will be in a separate check-in line and your package will be ready; most likely your room will be ready also.

If you are not happy with your location, you can reiterate the requests and they can try to accommodate your requests, but they will have to redo your KTTW cards. IMHO, it sort-of defeats the purpose of doing online check-in if you have specific requests you want them to try to meet.

My suggestion is that if you do have specific things that you require, wait until you check-in at the resort. Take the time to reiterate your requests and allow the CM to locate a room. Tell them you do not mind waiting in order to fulfill your request. Most times they can do so, if the resort is not too, too busy.

However, as stated before, requests are just that - requests.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #746
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorPrincess View Post
I assume if we do it online we are stuck with whatever room we are assigned as opposed to being able to ask for a change in person if we wait in regular registration line? Or should I fax my room preferences PRIOR to the 10-day early check in period? Thanks from a POR newbie!
You can always request a change when you get there, but that might mean lining up again rather than just picking up your package and going to your room.

To give you an idea of how it works, this is what I've been told (and watched happening in fact):
  • You can do advanced checkin online up to 10 days out, which simply flags your booking with your expected arrival time, credit card details, etc. At this point nothing else is assigned room-wise.
  • If you've got any special or complicated requests (including if you decide to send a faxed request in the meantime) then 3-5 days out the room assignment team may be able to pre-block you a room or rooms. However do remember that if they do assign you a specific room number in advance, that room will need to be vacated and ready before you can get in, which (especially if it was occupied the night before) might not be done by the time you arrive. This process is not affected in the slightest by your having done online checkin, although I would assume that having your expected arrival time on file might help them.
  • Just a few hours before you are due to arrive at the resort, a cast member who is dealing with that day's online bookings will start processing your reservation and will put together your welcome pack. At this point they will try to assign you a room number which is already showing on their systems as cleaned and 'Ready'. They will see any requests that are attached to the booking and will try to match them if possible, but their priority will be to ensure that you get a clean Ready room when you arrive if at all possible, even if that is not a perfect match with all of your requests.
  • When you arrive, you'll collect your welcome pack and your room should be waiting for you. Of course, if you want to ask them whether anything closer to your requests has become available in the meantime, you can always do so, but that might hold you up a bit.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #747
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
You can always request a change when you get there, but that might mean lining up again rather than just picking up your package and going to your room.

To give you an idea of how it works, this is what I've been told (and watched happening in fact):
  • You can do advanced checkin online up to 10 days out, which simply flags your booking with your expected arrival time, credit card details, etc. At this point nothing else is assigned room-wise.
  • If you've got any special or complicated requests (including if you decide to send a faxed request in the meantime) then 3-5 days out the room assignment team may be able to pre-block you a room or rooms. However do remember that if they do assign you a specific room number in advance, that room will need to be vacated and ready before you can get in, which (especially if it was occupied the night before) might not be done by the time you arrive. This process is not affected in the slightest by your having done online checkin, although I would assume that having your expected arrival time on file might help them.
  • Just a few hours before you are due to arrive at the resort, a cast member who is dealing with that day's online bookings will start processing your reservation and will put together your welcome pack. At this point they will try to assign you a room number which is already showing on their systems as cleaned and 'Ready'. They will see any requests that are attached to the booking and will try to match them if possible, but their priority will be to ensure that you get a clean Ready room when you arrive if at all possible, even if that is not a perfect match with all of your requests.
  • When you arrive, you'll collect your welcome pack and your room should be waiting for you. Of course, if you want to ask them whether anything closer to your requests has become available in the meantime, you can always do so, but that might hold you up a bit.

Andre
I do have a request noted on my reservation (Oak Manor near bridge - I reserved a royal room). If the thing I would be happiest to find upon check in is that my room is ready (flight scheduled to land at MCO 10:45 am, using ME), would you suggest online check in? I would like a room near the bridge, but having the room ready when I get there would make me a VERY happy mama, perhaps even happier than the "perfect" room location. Because ALL the rooms are at WDW, right?

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #748
Newbie123
Mouseketeer

Up until now, I've been primarily considering AoA for our (first!) trip in fall 2013; however, we would stay in a standard room there, and I keep reading about the distance between that section and the bus stops, food, etc...I wouldn't be too concerned about myself, but my mom has some issues that concern me with walking more than she will need to in the parks. (And the fact that it seems as though that section will not be included in any future discounts is disappointing!)

We will have both sets of grandparents, along with my husband and 2 children (5/2). Do you think POR would be a good choice for us? The map looks like the resort is fairly spread out, but at least there are multiple bus stops (unlike AoA, which as the one central stop). Are the non-preferred rooms a decent hike away from the stops? Any advice you can give about whether this would be a good fit for our family would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #749
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKid45 View Post

[/I]
Ok, I have to be Debbie Downer here. The one bad experience I have had at POR was showing up for our stay and having the feature pool slide down. Maybe they don't send out notes if the just have the slide closed, but they certainly didn't tell us about it ahead of time. And according to the manager on duty at the time, they don't have to let the guests know ahead of time about any type of closure. And no one at the pool area knew, it was quite the discussion.

Hopefully the whole pool area will be up and running for you all. I'll keep my fingers crossed, I know how upsetting it is to you and any children along with you when some parts are shut down. I'm just not sure I would put 100% of my faith behind the e-mail from WDW.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #750
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNotMuchofaTail View Post
If the thing I would be happiest to find upon check in is that my room is ready (flight scheduled to land at MCO 10:45 am, using ME), would you suggest online check in?
To be honest, probably yes - online checkin will most likely get you a room that you can occupy as soon as you arrive. Hopefully they will have been able to accommodate your requests too, but if not you can always ask when you arrive in case there's anything else closer by then.

Andre

Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: