Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #676
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDey View Post
We just returned from seven nights at POR. We stayed in a royal room and loved it! We were in Oak Manor on the second floor. We booked a garden view with an adjoining room for the in-laws. Not only did our room have a garden view, but it also had a view of the beautiful fountain out front and the river. It was just perfect!

My daughter was celebrating her birthday, and they presented us with a button upon check in. She also received a call from Minnie and a card from Mickey. She was so happy! Mousekeeping made her a birthday cake out of towels and the cutest bear.

We took a horse and carriage ride, enjoyed a movie on the lawn, swam in the pool several times, did the campfire, and took the boat to Downtown Disney. We had some great meals in the food court too. And the bus service was great during our entire trip. We never waited more than 10 minutes going to the parks. Our longest wait was about 20 minutes returning from Animal Kingdom.

I love, love, love this resort! Hoping to plan our next trip soon.
Phew! This is better!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #677
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Phew! This is better!
My thoughts exactly!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR

No Distractions,Never say Never TR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #678
SunnyDey
Mouseketeer

Oh, I also wanted to mention that my DD, age 3, loved this resort so much that by the second day, she was calling it her home. She even threw a penny into the wishing well at MK and wished that we could live at POR forever.

I took probably 100+ resort pics during our trip. I will sort through them and post some in the next few days. We took over 1,100 pics during our entire trip, so the sorting is taking a while.

Last edited by SunnyDey; 10-29-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #679
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

I am glad someone else had a positive experience. It just goes to show how CMs can make or break a vacation...

Ours was the worst experience in any hotel. Disney or Non-Disney.

Overall I found the resort itself beautiful but after receiving such lousy service my overall impression is negative.

I also like a more relaxed environment and POR felt very crowded from busses to lobby.

Regardless we had an amazing trip because we were in DISNEY!!!

I just find that after my experience if I was to ever stay at a MOD again it would be at CSR where the service was excellent and the resort was peaceful.

We travel to Disney between 4 - 5 times a year and always stay onsite and I must say I was shocked at the quality of service I received. I always receive excellent service everywhere in Disney (I am easy to please and don't expect much).. What I do expect is that when given a room key it works... and then when finally getting a correct room key.. The room not smell of burnt hair.. Even the runner kept apologizing and saying he never saw anything like this. But three hours later and in our room (FINALLY) - I have to admit the Royal Rooms are gorgeous! The detailing is immaculate. and I must admit....... I want a headboard with fireworks!! LOL

I hope everyone else's experience is much better than ours!!

Last edited by Butterflygirl35; 10-29-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #680
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
Just back from POR - Royal Room ... I complained to manager and basically was very rude and said what do you want me to do about it ... Busses were the worst in any Disney resort I have been in (even Values)... NEVER AGAIN!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDey View Post
We just returned from seven nights at POR. We stayed in a royal room and loved it! Mousekeeping made her a birthday cake out of towels and the cutest bear ... And the bus service was great during our entire trip. We never waited more than 10 minutes going to the parks ... I love, love, love this resort! Hoping to plan our next trip soon.
And these comments come from two people who were staying in Royal Rooms at exactly the same time... It really does go to show that resort reports can be very subjective indeed, and I suspect that applies to all resorts to be honest.

Luckily we do seem to see more 'good' rather than 'bad' experiences in this thread, but of course that doesn't make the problems that some people experience any less frustrating and annoying for them. Sorry about all the hassles you had Butterflygirl.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #681
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

I returned Saturday from my first stay at POR. I thought I'd provide a brief trip report. I'm a POFQ veteran, staying there about 7 times since the resort opened in 1991. I decided for this trip that I would try a different moderate resort. I reserved a preferred room with the AAA discount. The only request I made was for a ground floor room. About 4 days prior to arrival, I faxed in a request for a non-parking lot view. When I arrived at the airport, I went direclty to a ME bus with no waiting! The route included several of the Epcot resorts but POR was the first stop. I did on-line check in and my room was ready upon arrival. The CM did ask to see my AAA membership card. In all of the years I've booked WDW resorts with the AAA discount, this is the first time that I was asked to see my card.

I was assigned a room in lodge 18 on the first floor. The room was in a great location. It was a corner room with two windows and the ice machine and quiet pool were just around the corner. The room overlooked pine trees, hedges, and lodge 27. The room was kept clean during my stay and I received several towel animals. Everything was going great until about mid-week when the family from he** moved in next door. One the children screamed everytime she entered the room, sometimes up to 30 minutes. Often I could hear the parents screaming at the children and each other. There were times when someone was knocking on the walls, jumping, etc. After about a day and a half of this, I went to the front desk to ask to be moved. Well, someone else in the builidng had already complained and the CM said it would be addressed. The family was not moved but the noise issue did get better.

My main concern with staying at POR was the bus transportation issues you sometimes see posted on the boards. I did not experience any major issues with bus transportation. I don't think I waited more than 10 minutes for a bus, that includes going to a park or returning to the resort. Often, I timed it just right with a bus arriving just minutes after I did. I often had to stand, especially in the mornings. There was one occasion when the bus coming back from MK after closing stopped at the west depot first and the south depot last.

I ate several meals at the food court and generally the food was good. If you're eating breakfast, you need to get there by 7:30 to avoid the crowds. There was one morning when the food cout was packed and there were only three registers open. On evenings when the MK closed at 7:00 PM, you could expect lots of people in the food court just after this time.

I saw Bob Jackson at the River Roost Lounge one evening. He really puts on a good show, its worth seeing.

I really enjoyed my stay at POR but I prefer POFQ. I just like the smaller size, the quiet courtyards, and New Orleans themed architecture. For my next stay at a WDW moderate, I'll return to POFQ.

Any questions, please ask.

Last edited by crazy4wdw; 10-29-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #682
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
And these comments come from two people who were staying in Royal Rooms at exactly the same time... It really does go to show that resort reports can be very subjective indeed, and I suspect that applies to all resorts to be honest.

Luckily we do seem to see more 'good' rather than 'bad' experiences in this thread, but of course that doesn't make the problems that some people experience any less frustrating and annoying for them. Sorry about all the hassles you had Butterflygirl.

Andre
By all means.. Please don't take my comments as me thinking this is a horrible hotel. I had a horrible experience in a beautiful hotel. I just don't see myself staying there after an experience like this.. I don't want to scare anyone off.. Even the runner said he never saw anything like this.. I was just unlucky... It happens in even the best of hotels. The hotel itself is very beautiful.

Same with busses - It is hit or miss which is why I prefer to be either in a Monorail or Epcot resort....
Old 10-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #683
hokie98
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by portocall View Post
Does anyone know if the new coffee pot will work to make hot water? I know I could get hot water from the food court but I would prefer not to have to. Thanks.
As the others said, yes, you can just get hot water. We used some of the Starbucks instant coffee packets by putting it in the cup (instead of the coffee maker) and just running water through the coffee maker. DH enjoys hot tea, so I brought some tea bags of our own, and that worked great in the little pod holder to brew hot tea.

POR - Royal Room (10/12)
ASSp (01/09)
Daytrip to MK (11/00)
Spring Break trip visiting college roommate interning @ WDW & toured AK 2 weeks before opening to the public! (04/98)
Old 10-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #684
Lovemy3babes
Is always in need to get herself and her children back to our "Happy Place"!

We got back from POR about ten days ago. It was a very lovely resort!

1. Gorgeous scenery!

2. Peaceful, calm, quiet resort

3. Royal Rooms rock! A bit of a walk in location.

4. Food court a little confusing at first but once you get the hang of it, so many choices!

5. Bus service fine! No long waits ever for us.

6. A longer wait for the DTD boat but what a pretty ride.

7. I'd love to return!

Just me and my girl…a very special 13th Birthday trip!
(updated 2/20/14)
Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #685
SeniorPrincess
Earning My Ears

Excited to be coming to POR for the first time for December trip. Celebrating my 60th birthday (hence the name Senior Princess!) and my best friend's first trip to WDW. Can anyone tell me if Royal Rooms have fan option that stays on all night? My best friend snores, and I need the background "white noise" so I can sleep. Some hotels have units with fans that turn off automatically and that won't work for me. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #686
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Regarding the "burnt air" smell, I noticed it in our RR in August when I adjusted the thermostat to make the room a little warmer. The heat coils must kick in and of course since they were pretty new and hardly used ( who wants heat in August?!) it must have caused a burnt smell. It dissipated pretty quickly though.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #687
SunnyDey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorPrincess View Post
Can anyone tell me if Royal Rooms have fan option that stays on all night? My best friend snores, and I need the background "white noise" so I can sleep. Some hotels have units with fans that turn off automatically and that won't work for me. Thanks!
My DH kept the fan turned on in our room last week because he needs the white noise to sleep. It stayed on. Have a great trip!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #688
Mrs. Buzz Lightyear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick
Regarding the "burnt air" smell, I noticed it in our RR in August when I adjusted the thermostat to make the room a little warmer. The heat coils must kick in and of course since they were pretty new and hardly used ( who wants heat in August?!) it must have caused a burnt smell. It dissipated pretty quickly though.
We had the same problem. Called the from desk because the smell stayed for a very long time. It took them 45 min to come check out our room. They even said wow we've never smelt this before. I was a bit disappointed in the actual response time from staff. They were quite rude when I called also. Needless to say it was a heating coil. Just glad the rest of our trip was great!

Many Happy Visits Since 1987

Next Visit: Fall 2015

Now approaching the Carousel of Progress

We have 999 happy haunts here, but there's room for a thousand. Any volunteers?? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements, may be made at the end of the tour

Old 10-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #689
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I happened to be in Acadian House the second week after it re-opened for the refurb.

We had a couple of issues that happen with the room, but since I work in facilities management, I was able to give them a great amount of detail, as well as prioritize the list of items as to what needed to be addressed.

Having filled in at the front desk, so the clerical staff so they can go to events like company picnics they would normally have to provide phone coverage in all our counties, I know how hard it is to take calls and assess their validity, they prioritize and dispatch personnel (who are also attending the events as well).

Your call went to a Central Call Center, which diverts calls to the appropriate place - you never speak to the front desk.

What could be perceived as "rudeness" is the need to keep it short and handle a larger than usual volume of calls; like the first time an a/c - heating unit is turned on and you encountered that smell. No doubt, you were not the only one.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.

Last edited by Missytara; 10-29-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #690
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorPrincess
Excited to be coming to POR for the first time for December trip. Celebrating my 60th birthday (hence the name Senior Princess!) and my best friend's first trip to WDW. Can anyone tell me if Royal Rooms have fan option that stays on all night? My best friend snores, and I need the background "white noise" so I can sleep. Some hotels have units with fans that turn off automatically and that won't work for me. Thanks!
The unit has not changed, it is just the functions are controlled by the thermostat next to the bed closest to the bathroom.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: